mtbr member
    Jun 2004

cake suspension settings

hello all!

this question is for cake owners.

i ride a 2004 cake 2 dlx (manitou black super air/swinger 3-way). i'm just trying to gether what good suspension settings are for this bike.

i'm a 200 lb rider and i've tried the recommended settings (50% weight in fork, 50% spv and 75% main in the shock, 4 clicks from slow rebound) but i'm not sure if it's ideal.

just curious as to what you guys run on your cakes.

tell me fork / shock settings, your weight, and riding style/conditions...

this thread could be a good reference for other cake riders!

thanks

mtbr member
    Wassup,

I ride a 05/04 GF CAKE DLX. Yes that is two years. I snapped the swing arm and top tube and needed a quick fix so I have my buddy's back triangle from his 04 and I have a new front triangle.

I am 190lbs 6' and I have found that the suggested squish settings are a little too squishy for me. I normally don't bother much with the "red" air entry but when I do I pump it to 50 psi. I normally keep the main chamber around 152 PSI. I normally ride XC/downhill in Pisgah NC. I keep the front Fox fork pumped pretty stiff. Don't know the PSI. I think it is ~75 PSI.

I don't play with the reboud too much. As long as I am not getting bobbed up off the seat I feel like the suspension is doing its job.

My buddy recently commented on the fact that with the single pivot point suspenstion that the CAKE has that we should try not to brake through roots and rocks. This causes the suspension to "lock out" more. I don't know much about this and I wonder if anyone who reads this (preferebley an engineer) can speak more to this?

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    yeah your bud is right about braking locking out our suspension. the 3 reviews in MBAction with the Cake pretty much spells out the cons of our single pivot suspension....

Packing up on sharp hits
    Locking out rear suspension when braking.. i think that's called 'stinkbugging'?
    chainsuck

but hey, no bike is perfect and i love this bike. it's light for 5", i can ride for hours (did a 100 km race-- 8.5 hrs), looks good.

i suffered the whole chainsuck, pivot bearing, loctite debacle, but it's all worked out. the only issue i have now is the wearing out of the rear shock pivot bushings but i can handle that with yearly replacements.

mtbr member
    Oh yah don't get me wrong I love the bike. The geometry works great for me. I switched from the Sugar for a more robust bike and had a little trouble on steep climbs at first but now I feel as though it handles great uphill and down.

I can't wait for my new bushings. I have had the rear play for quite some time.

I also sometimes get some chainsuck. I have gotten pretty good at backing off the cranks as soon as I feel it though.

I can't complain for the customer service and quick turn around I have had for most everything. I have also participated in some long Endurance races 70+ miles and beat the hell out of the bike.

I am interested to try riding the Possum though. . .

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got an '06 Cake 2DLX with the Fox Float and Swinger 3-way. I'm 6' about 230lbs. I'm still riding a little more in the XC end of the spectrum, though I am becoming more agressive and starting towards more of the all mountain range.

I'm running about 70psi in the SPV (red) and about 135 in the main (black) chambers of the Swinger. I'll likely have to bump up the main in the not too distant future as my riding makes more use of the suspension, but for right now I've got it a bit more plush. I had it at 150 lbs for a while but found that I didn't like what it did to my sag and it seemed a little harsh on the local trails and with my current style of riding. As far as the rebound, I've got it about 6 clicks from slow (roughly mid-range). With some of the local trails, I may speed it up a click or two in the coming months as long as I don't start topping out.

For myself, I found the recommended setting for the fork works well enough for me....I haven't bottomed it out yet (came close a couple times, though), but it's plush enough that I'm not going to fiddle with it for the time being.

Hope this helps.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

I like Cake.
    Jun 2004
    I like the suspension to be very stiff. I am right around 250 pounds. I run 190 in the main and 125 in the SPV valve. I also upgraded the fork spring to the heavy spring to make it far stiffer. I also run the rebound pretty high, so it snaps back to its resting position quickly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I like the suspension to be a little softer than the suggested....I'm 165 lbs, 6', and ride a 19" frame.

I have a hidden reason for posting:

I have a Cake 3 ('04) that I bought new from my LBS last summer, in late July. It was on sale as it was the previous years model.

I love the bike, I had my chainsuck issues, but they were resolved with a zip tie, and copius amounts of chain lube.

For the last couple of months i've been riding with a chainslap gaurd thing, and i removed it tonite to clean her up for this weekend. When I took off the thingamijig, i found a pretty good dent (almost a crease) on the chainstay. To the eye it looks bent, but I'll find out if the spacing is right tomorrow.

Is it possible to get a new swingarm from Fisher?

Next question: is the difference between a 4" and a 5" Cake (DLX or not) only in the swingarm? Could I get a new swingarm for a DLX model, and change my bike into a 5" travel? That would be rad.

thanks

I like Cake.
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    I have a hidden reason for posting:

When I took off the thingamijig, i found a pretty good dent (almost a crease) on the chainstay. To the eye it looks bent, but I'll find out if the spacing is right tomorrow.

Is it possible to get a new swingarm from Fisher?

thanks
    You really ought to start a new thread for this question so that more people are likely to see it who have experience with this issue. I was able to receive a replacement frame and swingarm from Trek because of a bad assembly by LBS that caused some awful chain rub which wore a hole in the frame. I am not sure about your problem though. I know they will not replace components damaged by trail wear. If it happened by being banged on something they will call it trail wear, my suggestion would be to say it happened on a soft landing.

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by nuker
    hello all!

this question is for cake owners.

i ride a 2004 cake 2 dlx (manitou black super air/swinger 3-way). i'm just trying to gether what good suspension settings are for this bike.

i'm a 200 lb rider and i've tried the recommended settings (50% weight in fork, 50% spv and 75% main in the shock, 4 clicks from slow rebound) but i'm not sure if it's ideal.

just curious as to what you guys run on your cakes.

tell me fork / shock settings, your weight, and riding style/conditions...

this thread could be a good reference for other cake riders!

thanks
    Here's a suspension set-up chart for the 2004 Cakes...

http://fisherbikes.com/toolbox/article.asp?id=86

Maybe this chart can give you some ballpark figures for your Cake as well

banned
    This pic might help you. Ohhhhh, my bad. This was the design that Fisher...nevermind
    Attached Images Attached Images

Double-metric mtb man
    Ok, my bad....

I got to playing with the suspension settings tonight....it took a while, but I have a new set up for the time being. I've bumped things up and it seems to be a lot more efficient and quicker (which I like), so I'll give up a little of the plushness. I also found it tracked better through the little rock garden on one of the local trails..that it gives me a little more room to play when I'm taking a little vacation from terra firma

I haven't changed (for my size, see my earlier post), but my new settings are: 110psi in the Fox Float, 110 psi in the SPV and 165 psi in the main 6 clicks from slow on the rebound. It puts me at about 25% sag and despite of the additional pressure in the main chamber, it isn't topping out on me.

Hope it helps
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me