Thread: Cake Specials

on the path most traveled

Cake Specials

It seems like GF Cakes are on sale everywhere now. My lbs has Cake 2's for $1299, and the guy knocked $100 over the phone. Is there a reason for the discounting? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Maybe they're drastically changing the frame for 07'. I wish my lbs carried Fisher products. He only really sells Trek and you have to special order the Fisher. The other lbs only carries Specialized.

LA CHÈVRE
    They are not big sellers, don't know why...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2006
    wow that's a steal! I am still deciding on a bike and asked my lbs about the cake's and they didn't get any word of a price cut. So cakes are still out of my price range

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I picked my 04 Cake 3 up for 700, They had the 05 Cake 2 For 1299 and the Cake 3 dlx for 1199. Dont know why the clearance. But they are selling like mad. My LBS has almost none left.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My buddy just picked up Cake 1, '04 for $1950.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SWI99
    I picked my 04 Cake 3 up for 700, They had the 05 Cake 2 For 1299 and the Cake 3 dlx for 1199. Dont know why the clearance. But they are selling like mad. My LBS has almost none left.
    That makes sense because they are the 05 models. My lbs always puts their past year models on clearance when they get the new one's.

on the path most traveled
    SWI99:

I'm in Tustin. What store did you go to?

At a second glance at their website, I see that they are the '05 models. The lbs assured me over the phone that there would be plenty of Cake 2's to go around this weekend, which is the soonest I can get there.
    Last edited by sponger; 06-08-2006 at 11:16 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cycle Werks

If this is what you are looking for. I went to the Mission Viejo Store. Talk to Mike He is cool and will work with you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger
    It seems like GF Cakes are on sale everywhere now. My lbs has Cake 2's for $1299, and the guy knocked $100 over the phone. Is there a reason for the discounting? Thanks.
    How different are these to the 06
    Last edited by puma1824; 06-14-2006 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by puma1824
    How different are these to the 06
    Redesigned Frame with lower Top tube (very comfortable and it feels stiffer)
    New Cable routings
    Compared to the 2004 series, better main pivot bearings (or lets say better loctite)
    different components (especially forks are a great upgrade)
    Carbon Fiber swingarm
    etc.

I had a Cake 2 DLX 2004 series that has been replaced last year with a brand new Cake 1 DLX 2006 series frame and shock and I can tell you that I have noticed a huge difference: it feels much better with the lower top tube and as mentioned stiffer. Beside that, the new cable routing seems to be very effective as I have definitely noticed an increae of shifting performance.

I would go for the 2005 modell but maybe not for the 2004.

Cheers,
    OTF