Thread: Cake Sizing

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Cake Sizing

What size Cake 4 DLX would somebody 5' 7" normally ride.

I bought a 17 1/2" and am wondering if I should have gotten the 15 1/2"

I can handle it fine, but standing over it, it feels more like a 19.

Thanks in advance for you response.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm 6' and riding the 19" frame. I've got enough stand-over (traditional amount as measured against the top tube), but with the FS, I find that it is quite tall from the saddle when adjusted for my leg extension.

It was the same with the other FS bikes I've riden...you often have to come off the saddle to stand properly when you're stopped for general riding just because of the sheer amount of suspension and the sag.

Personally, if you can handle it fine, it feels good riding (i.e enough cockpit space, good reach to the bars etc) then I'd say you're more probably than not on the right machine.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member

Hope trends depends

Quote Originally Posted by pcginn
    What size Cake 4 DLX would somebody 5' 7" normally ride.

I bought a 17 1/2" and am wondering if I should have gotten the 15 1/2"

I can handle it fine, but standing over it, it feels more like a 19.

Thanks in advance for you response.
    Sizing is not always based on height. Also, depends on reach of your arms and inseam length. Most people are average sized so size on production bikes is kind of guessed for average sized riders.

I am 6' 1" and ride a L or 19ish full suspension bike. 19" Cake. I bought my brother the 17.5" Cake (without him being present) because he is 5'9" and I understand his measurements AND riding style.

I kinda think you should be on the 15.5" Cake. Hopefully you may be able to talk the bike shop you bought the bike from in to exchangeing for the more correct size. The bike shop should have put you on the correct size bike. Often the customer says " yeah, I love it" even though it is not the ideal size.

On the 17.5" you are on you can use a shorter stem and push your saddle forward to acheive a more comfy ride. Now, if you were on a 15.5 You would need a longer stem and the saddle pushed back to get the same comfy position as on the 17.5".

An idea that has been floating around is that it is better to have a slightly smaller bike than have one slightly too big. The smaller bike would be easier to "flick" around on the trail.
    Hopefully I didn't create any confusion. I especially hope it all works out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would tend to agree with Noslogan. I'm 5' 8" and riding a Cake 2 DLX 15.5". Did your LBS do a proper "fitting"? They should have taken most if not all of the following factors into account when determining proper fit. Height, sternum notch, inseam length, arm length, shoulder width, overall flexibility, weight, and shoe size. Good luck.

Have Cake and beat it 2
    my lbs when fitting me for my hookooekoo 06 and my soon to be owned cake 2 dlx downsized me one size so that I can throw my bike about easier when on the trails from a 19 to a 17 worked wonders for me. (the hkek got stolen)