mtbr member
    May 2006

Cake 2 vs. Fuel EX 7

This kind of goes along with my other post. . .

I am finally going to ride a FS this Friday (fuel 80 or an EX 7), what I am wondering is iof given the choice between a Fuel EX 7 and a Cake 2 which bike would you guys choose?

The reason I ask is my LBS has an awesome deal on the Cake series . . . are all the frames the same in the Cake series and just the componentry changes or are there differences amongst the frames?

How is handling, ride and weight of a Cake compared to a Fuel EX 7?

Barneys Unite!
    I own a Cake 3 DLX, and a friend owns a Cake 2 DLX. As far as I can tell, the frames are the same - the Cake 2 (stock) has better wheels and front shock. I was able to get a good enough deal on my Cake 3 that I upgraded the drivetrain to XT.

HTH.

work to ride to work
    Apr 2006
    One of the differences between the EX7 and the Cake is that the Cake has carbon seat stays. When the Cakes went to the carbon seat stays, I recall that there was some concern about flex and durability. I think that they actually rely on some of that flex for performance. I haven't heard anything about it for a long time, so does that mean that all is well? They put it on the DLX versions, so I guess it must be tough.

Double-metric mtb man
    I recently went for the Cake 2DLX. Great componentry and a great bike as a trail / light all mountain / heavier XC machine.

There are some differences in the swingarm between the Cake # and Cake # DLX to get the extra suspension travel (4" vs 5") but the frame itself is pretty much the same between the bikes. Itis components that set them apart...kinda like the C'dale Prophet series, Rocky Mountain Slayer or ETXC's, Giant Trance or Reign series....numbers just designate the component levels.

I'd think the bigger issue will be the fit. The Cakes have the genesis geometry...longer top tube. If you're a bigger person, you may like the feel of the GF over the Trek.

Just my thoughts.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me