mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Cake 1 vs Fuel EX8

I am moving to a Full Sus bike from having a hardtail (Scott Boulder) for the last 5 years.
    I have found both the above bikes for sale at 1500 (can't afford any more)
    Help!!! Both look really good.
    Which should I choose?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Unless you are stoked on the Genesis geometry, I'd say the fuel ex might be a little better built. The trek doesn't have the cool factor that the fisher has, but the fuel has some sweet tubing.

2c

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

easy...

If you want to go uphill faster, get the Fuel. If you want to go downhill faster, get the Cake.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks guys.
    I am 6', 200 lbs, and have read in a magazine that the rear end on the Fuel EX7 is rather flexy, didn't know if the EX8 is the same?
    Last edited by CoffinDodger; 04-07-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    I test rode a Cake 1 (not the DLX) on a trail and I did a parking lot ride on an EX8. I'm coming from a Gary Fisher Tassajara, so I'm familiar with the Genesis geometry.

The Cake was an excellent bike on the trails. I would question the statement in a previous response that the EX8 would beat the Cake up a hill. The Cake felt light and very fast.

I recommend the Cake over the EX8, but it all comes down to geometry. If you are not familiar with Fishers, then you should ride a Cake on a trail. The front tire of a Cake feels light and has a tendency to wander on steep uphills. Otherwise, they handle very well and descend strongly.

Good Luck

Jim
    Imagination is more important than intelligence. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

They are the same...

Quote Originally Posted by CoffinDodger
    Thanks guys.
    I am 6', 200 lbs, and have read in a magazine that the rear end on the Fuel EX7 is rather flexy, didn't know if the EX8 is the same?
    I believe the EX8 and EX7 have the same rear triangle. I think the EX9 adds in some carbon bits.

instead of reading in a magazine about how a bike it, I'd recommend you actually go ride the bikes. Trek has a demo days that goes thru most major metropolitan areas for you to try out their stuff on the trail. Check it out.

Also I still think the EX is a better climber. Cake have really freakin high bottom brackets and a high center of gravity. It's a little trickier to control on a technical uphill.

anyways, try them out. figure out which one you like.

GL,
    -don

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Yes, the EX7 and EX8 have the same rear. The EX9 gets a carbon rear triangle. I went with the EX8. Just didn't have the extra $$$ for the EX9 to get the carbon rear -- only bit I was really interested in on the EX9 besides the X0 rear der.

- Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Gimpy, are you happy with your EX8? any problems?
    Hopefully gonna be able to try them out tomorrow. nearest decent shop is 120 mile round trip.
    - Craig

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004

Wow, 120 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by CoffinDodger
    Gimpy, are you happy with your EX8? any problems?
    Hopefully gonna be able to try them out tomorrow. nearest decent shop is 120 mile round trip.
    - Craig
    Call ahead and make sure you can take bikes on the trails before you drive that far. I'm always a little sceptical of parking lot rides. But, you do what you can.

BTW, the BB of the Cake is about half an inch lower than the Cake DLX. I actually like the higher BB of the Cake DLX for more clearance in the rocks of the NE. Full suspension designs also sag-in which lowers the BB height when you're on the bike. I pretty sure that the EX8 has a higher BB than the Cake 1.

Good luck and have fun. Whichever bike you choose, you'll be a happy camper.

Jim

P.S. My final choice came down to a Stumpjumper Expert and a Cake 1. I chose the Stumpy, but the Cake 1 is still a great bike. The Stumpy just feels like it fits me better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    CoffinDodger ....I have had an EX 8 for over a year now and it is an amazing bike....not much else to say other than that you wont be disappointed.....

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Yes, I like the EX8. I've replaced a couple of parts due to personal preference. The stock setup is pretty good. I've swapped out the LX shifters for SRAM Rocket's, the Shimano pedals for Egg Beaters, and the Jones ACX for UST tures. I had everything on hand except for the tires.

- Chris

mtbr member
    I have an EX8 05 model and i love it. Only reason i got the 8 was because the 06 models were not out when i was buying. I have upgraded to the same handlebars on the ex 9 bontrager race xlite carbon. Everything else is still stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I have gone for the Cake 1. Got it yesterday.
    Only been for a few miles on it, but wow, this bike is sooo smoth over the bumps. The swinger shock also seems to work well - no pedal bob.
    Think we are gonna be happy together

mtbr member
    Well, where is the pic of the new ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just needs some more mud on it and it will be perfect...

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004

Very nice!

That is a sweet looking bike. Are you planning on painting it or something?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    sexxxy