mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Cable Housings...School me

This weekend, my FD housing blew out between the bar and frame on my 08 Ex7 (~150 miles on it) rendering my FD useless. Had some alligator laying around from a recent build so no biggy to replace but don't have enough to do the rest of the bike. Is the rest of the housing suspect as well or freak occurance? Anyone have any issues with the stock stuff? It may have happend when the bike got x'd up in a slow speed fall when I got pinned, didn't notice it for another few miles. Never happend on any other bike I've owned or been around though.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I saw a few Treks over the past couple of years that had sub-par housing. I ended up replacing all my shift housing on my bike. Look over your housing and see if there are any white parts where you can see the metal cables in the housing stressing the plastic cover. If you can see any, I'd replace the housing, if not, it'll probably be fine.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd say there's no way to tell for sure.
    You can always use the limit screws to lock the derailleur in a usable gear if something happens to a shifter or cable so it's not that bad, still annoying.
    Unless you are using Ride-On cables the cost of replacing them isn't that high so weigh it against the annoyance of having to stop & fix a mechanical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, agreed the cost isn't an issue, more of a PITA than anything as the local lbs's don't carry quality housings. I'll make due for now and get some with my next order. Hopefully I won't have to turn it into a 3x1 before then, although that could be a lot worse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The best deal in housing is to buy a 25ft roll of jagwire housing. Depending on what quality level/color of housing, it can be had from $12 to $25.... enough to do three bikes! Buy a roll, use what you need, and either stash the rest or resell the remainder on ebay

mtbr member
    I changed mine... I also went to full length housing. I had to do some dremel work on the stops. It works so much better.
    Bikeless Rider

Members who have read this thread: 0