Thread: Bye Bye, Klein!

Art is Resistance

Bye Bye, Klein!

Bye Bye Klein.
    If you like klein, better buy it before the 2007 model year.

Going the way of Bontrager... how long before GF follows suit? Lemond is on the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It's not like it'd be a surprise but..

Do you have some actual information to corroborate this statement?

-don

Art is Resistance
    No, unfortunately, i do not. But it will happen.... i just have no hard proof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Lemond

F*cked himself with Trek. He bagged on LA. Brilliant move, that. Memeber of the Trek conglomerate and baggin on the breadwiner.

eBiker
    Pray tell, what happened to Bontrager?

mr. P

mtbr member
    I had heard a rumor that John Burke.. the head of Trek... was so pissed off at Lemond for his Lance comments that Trek was in negotiations to drop Lemond and buy Merckx.

This was told to me last summer by a VERY reliable source.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I had heard a rumor that John Burke.. the head of Trek... was so pissed off at Lemond for his Lance comments that Trek was in negotiations to drop Lemond and buy Merckx.

This was told to me last summer by a VERY reliable source.
    Interesting, no doubt Lemond's comments were not business savvy. But steel is longer real in the road bike world. I like it, but it doesn't sell bikes. Lemond's niche is hurtin'

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Triomphe

Lemond has some nice full carbon on the way.

mtbr member

I heard

Or I have been hearded. I heard that the Attitudes, Reves and Qs will still be catalogued for '07. And that was from Burke.

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Pray tell, what happened to Bontrager?

mr. P

Uh, he stopped making complete bikes... And now he has Taiwanese parts with his name on them, that he has little input on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    Uh, he stopped making complete bikes... And now he has Taiwanese parts with his name on them, that he has little input on.
    Okay, I understand everyone loved the bontrager frames. It doesn't mean that if you company doesn't make frames anymore that it's a worthless company.

Did he sell out to Trek? sure, but in business, and in life, everything is compromise. Has it polluted the brand? of course, he has to make parts that fill a certain price slot. It's business. It's survival.

I think even Keith Bontrager has said it himself that selling his company to Trek was a good thing. That it kept him out of survival mode and made him concentrate on the thing he liked most - making good bike parts. Tho I'm sure there are some business considerations now more than the pure engineering.

Obviously, you don't have to agree that they are good, and I definitely think you should vote with your pocket book. but just saying that a company is crap cause it doesn't sell frames and sells some cheaper parts now, is really bogus.

-don

mtbr member
    I kinda' doubt that Fisher will go away like Bontrager or Klein. Fisher is a pretty damn strong brand everywhere I've seen.

I still think Trek should make the Privateer frames again. They could even market them under the Trek brand; the Trek Privateer, design by Keith Bontrager. Just the one model; offer it as a frame and a complete bike. Or even just as a frame. Actually, I write them a letter about once or twice a year telling them bring it back. I think a steel frame would give Trek a little extra credibility (I'm not saying that they need it or anything). Gary Fisher is doing the Ferrous this year, right? They really were sweet frames.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    That was 4-6 years ago news. Bontrager has been under the Trek brand since. I Thought you were talking about Trek doing away with Bontrager components.

If anything I see more and better Bontrager components coming out now - Earl, King Earl. Tubeless Ready. Super Juice (?).

I don't know of many American made components these days, sans Thomson and you can see the cost in those. Besides bicycle manufacturing is one of Tiawan's largest industries, they know what they are doing.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    ...And Keith's kids get to go to college wherever they want now. That's something.