mtbr member
    Oct 2005

broken liquid 25

just broken my 2004 liquid 25. does anyone know what trek are giving as replacements. do they have any liquid frames left or are they replacing them with remedys?

mtbr member
    i broke my liquid in 2006,
    and they gave me a fuel EX frame.
    this happened because i needed an XL frame,and remedy-old type- arrived just to L size

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    how do you like the EX? i mite have the same problem because i need a 21.5 frame. it would be nice to get the new 2008 remedy as a replacement.

mtbr member
    EX climbs much better,and it's about 4 pound lighter than the liquid.
    note that if you will get the 08 remedy,maybe you'll have to change fork with a longer one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    whats the travel of a ex? is it 5 in, and what shock does it come with? also the head angle must be different to a liquid. how good is it down hill?

mauna ona liquid
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davo uk
    just broken my 2004 liquid 25. does anyone know what trek are giving as replacements. do they have any liquid frames left or are they replacing them with remedys?
    did you break front or rear triangle?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i broke the front triangle just above the bottom bracket and the top tube where it joins the seat tube. i think this is how most of them brake? i had just come down a big desent and slowed right down for a stream crossing, snapped right in the middle,i had a nice swim.....

mtbr member
    same as me...

the shock is different,so i think u will receive a whole new frame

mauna ona liquid
    Sep 2004
    thanks for posting that paolino. I've read several times about liquids breaking on the joint on the seattube where it narrows down for the front derailleur. But I'd never seen a picture of it. Interesting that it broke on the top tube too.

the 2005 liquid has a lower top tube and little gusset where top meets seat tube. I wonder if that made the 2005's less break prone. Anybody know? the problem area on the seat tube seems to be the same so I'd think it would be just as likely.

I have a 2004 liquid and a 2005 liquid I haven't built up yet. I mainly bought it for the rear triangle pivoting seat stays. Since it is used I'll keep the 2004 as back-up - I have full warranty on that frame. But davo uk, when I talked to the dealer about buying a new rear triangle from Trek (too much $$$) they had maybe one or two. Since the front triangles had to be replaced more often (at least by breakage) I would be very surprised if they have any 2004 front triangles in stock for you. Assuming you have warranty they should be offering you something newer, but not necessarily the entire frame. Maybe a remedy front triangle. I think you can use it with 2004 rear and shock as long as you use the 2004 rocker arm.

keep us posted

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    trek have agreed to give me a new ex9 frame but it will take 3 weeks to come.

mtbr member

mauna ona liquid
    Sep 2004
    sweet

mtbr member
    Same happened to me. I had a choice of Remedy or Fuel ex 9. I had a 03 Liquid 30. I did the same thing as the rider above.....I rode the frame hard and long for years. Sad to see it go. Even though the Remedy was closer to the riding I do, I plan on getting a bigger bike and wanted less overlap----certainly the Remedy being on backorder all summer and needing a 160mm fork factored in for me.

Went and saw the bike getting built up.....have to say...I will be bummed when I scratch it.....super pretty....white. dig it!!!!. I definately could tell the HA was steeper. I cant recall what the Liquid was(68 or 68.5? in 5" mode?)...but I know the Fuel EX 9 is 69. I spoke to trek about it this morning. Lower BB by 2/10's of an inch. I certainly bet the rear will be more active and climb better...I also bet it will corner better. I hope the HA doesnt throw me off too much since I ride some very steep stuff in southern utah.

Trek has been fantastic is helping me out. Even sent me an extra skewer when they found out how long I was waiting on my frame and needed one for the build so I could make a trip I was planning.

Bike looks super cool, I hope for good things. We will see how the HA goes...