mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Broke my 8 month old Ex 9.5

Hello.

Just broke my 8 month old Ex 9.5, pictures here: http://www.fedefingre.dk/gallerys/2007_trek_ex9.5/

Anybody seen anything like this before? Trek already told me I will get a new frame, so everything is fine, just want to know if any of you have seen this before? The frame is an XL.

Wondering if i can get the 2006 Ex 9.5 again though, as the new 2007 is a bit different. Maybe i should go for the Top Fuel 9.9, so i can reuse my 100mm Reba WC from the Ex. 9.5? Maybe go for a GF Race day, or a Klain Palomino if they can dig one op (Had one before and loved it)

Feedback?

Kind regards
    Jakob / Europe / Denmark / Copenhagen / ěsterbro

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It is an XL - are are you just tall or do you also weigh a lot? Were you doing any sighnifigant drops/jumping on it? Do you use it strickly for racing or is it your all around bike you use for everything?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No jumps, only XC races and trail. I am 1.92cm / 100kg - 220 lbs / 6 feet 4 inches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well you are a big guy and big guys break frames. If you are using it for racing then you were right to go with a company that offers lifetime warranty as you might be going through a lot of frames that are race oriented. The Top Fuel frame is going to be even lighter duty then the EX so the chance of breaking that because of your size is higher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah... Good thing i know the danish distributor I'll talk to him tomorrow, and ask him if he wants to give me a new frame every year...

Maybe i should go back to alu, only had problems riding carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-LO
    Yeah... Good thing i know the danish distributor I'll talk to him tomorrow, and ask him if he wants to give me a new frame every year...

Maybe i should go back to alu, only had problems riding carbon.
    Honestly its things like this that keep me riding on alloys.

Carbon is cool, its strong generally, and light (and it looks great) but if you hit it the wrong way.. big problems. Not that you can't do that with Alu too... but I just dont trust Carbon like I do alloys. Keep the carbon on road bikes! :P
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I agree with you here. If this was a race only bike then carbon might be something to look at. Because you are using it for other things I would go for something a little more robust because of your size.

Harrumph
    I've seen a handfull of Al Fuels cracked there, this is the first carbon one for what it's worth.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    how many Al fuels are there compared to carbon ones? My guess is Al accounts for a huge majority so you are bound to see more broken ones. As it is you can break anything but a guy weighing 220 is going to break more stuff then a 160 pounder. I would stiull go for something a little more heavy duty because of his size and leave the carbon bikes for race only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Just talked to Trek again, they said that it should hold up no problem, as i only race, do marathons and trails, I never jump anything higher then the curb leaving home. So... looks like i'll go for a Top Fuel 9,9, as the Ex 9.5 - 2006 is impossible to get a hold off.

I'll get back when / if the new frame brakes too