Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Boost 148 conversion to 142

If you want to run say a standard 142 wide carbon wheel set, is a conversion from 148 boost going to be possible? It's a brand new standard I know but I'm not that impressed with the current SRAM wheel options.

Cassoulet forever !
    I've been thinking of the same.
    I have no real life experience, but theorically Yes it is possible.

Put a 3mm spacer with 12mm internal bore on each side of the hub.
    Put a 3mm spacer between the disk and the hub, and check the 6 screws are long enough to engage.

As boost 148 is on the remedy carbon only for now, i assume you will be using this frame and so the postmount rear caliper, so the offset of the disk from the hub is needed.
    If you use a custom/proto frame with an IS caliper mount, then some 3mm spacers between the caliper and the frame and longuer bolts could do it without changing the disk.

I might do this exact mod, if i get a remedy C, and the hub manufacturers do not release 148mm hubs fast enough (somebody here wrote that Chris King, Hope, DT swiss will make some), i plan on machining the parts to use a wide carbon whellset. If i go this route i might get the Roval 142+ version.
    An other option is to re-lace the rear hub (but only 24 spokes i think ?)
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Remedy

I just built my Remedy and it does look like a 3mm spacer on each side of the hub and a standard XX1 spider for chainline would do the trick. I dont think you would need a full 3mm behind the rotor as the caliper can move over a good bit. I think maybe just a washer between rotor bolts and hub will work.

I talked with I9 just the other day and was told that their hubs would be ready by mid October.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boost 148 conversion to 142-remedy29.jpg  

Last edited by Carl.D; 09-05-2014 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have a extra set of end caps for a RXL/DT swiss rear hub, I may take it to a machine shop and have them cut two 3mm spacers out of it for me. I also have a extra XX1 spider so I do plan to see if it will all work together. Cant see why it wouldnt.

And yes 24 spokes, I was going to build a wheelset with the stock rear hub too but thats a no go now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I own a carbon Remedy, and took a hard look at the spacer idea and concluded it was a no-go.

Custom machined end caps could work with some wheels, but when I set up a 142 hub with spacers, the engagement of the hub endcaps with the dropouts was pretty minimal, maybe about half of what it should be. My conclusion was that this would not be very safe.

I carpet bombed all known hub makers, and got reasonably encouraging responses from Hope, I9 and Kappius. My preferred supplier, DT, says almost certainly yes, but as a 2016 model.

What is really infuriating is that before I ordered the bike, SRAM told my LBS that they had the carbon Roam 60 wheels available in 148, so we ordered a set, and they sat in the shop a few days until the Remedy arrived, whereupon it was discovered that they were 142s. Subsequent calls to SRAM indicated that it was a mistake, and that they had no plans to produce that wheel in 148 in the near future. Crap!

I've gotten an indication from Trek that they may have a fancy wheelset available through Bonty by January. Fingers crossed.

Polite note to Trek: Great bike, but I bought this bike IN SPITE of the 148 spacing, in no way BECAUSE of it.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thats good info, I wont waste my time on making it work then. Just have to wait for a good hub.

I plan on I9 hubs with either NOX Composite rims or just a I9 full wheelset.
    Last edited by Carl.D; 09-16-2014 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    I've been thinking of the same.
    I have no real life experience, but theorically Yes it is possible.

Put a 3mm spacer with 12mm internal bore on each side of the hub.
    Put a 3mm spacer between the disk and the hub, and check the 6 screws are long enough to engage.

As boost 148 is on the remedy carbon only for now, i assume you will be using this frame and so the postmount rear caliper, so the offset of the disk from the hub is needed.
    If you use a custom/proto frame with an IS caliper mount, then some 3mm spacers between the caliper and the frame and longuer bolts could do it without changing the disk.

I might do this exact mod, if i get a remedy C, and the hub manufacturers do not release 148mm hubs fast enough (somebody here wrote that Chris King, Hope, DT swiss will make some), i plan on machining the parts to use a wide carbon whellset. If i go this route i might get the Roval 142+ version.
    An other option is to re-lace the rear hub (but only 24 spokes i think ?)
    Their website says 2015 aluminum remedy comes with the boost 148 as well. Is it an error on their website?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

??

Wonder what Trek used on the rear of this bike?? Its a 9.8 and should be using 148 spacing.......

Looks like Rhythm Elite wheels, I would be happy with those. I have a few sets of RXLs and I have never had any problems with them and they are pretty light and durable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boost 148 conversion to 142-boost.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I wonder if you could swap ABP hardware to make this work?

mtbr member
    I've seen Hope 148 hubs and there should be ABP hardware available from Trek. It's my understanding you can covert from 148 to 142 but not 142 to 148. It may taking a little digging and/or a phone call on your LBS' part but they should be able to get you what you need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    That would be great!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.D View Post
    That would be great!
    Carl.D, have you weighed your carbon remedy? Do you mind sharing with us? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sure, 25.7lbs with the Reverb that is not in the pic, 25lbs even with the carbon post.

Only changes were Enve bars, RXL saddle, Schwalbe tires and Eggbeater 3s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    VERY interested in anybody figuring out how to swap ABP hardware to allow the new carbon Remedy to run a 142 rear hub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I wonder if you could swap ABP hardware to make this work?
    Well I dont have the parts in hand yet, but I talked with my Trek bud and after he spoke with his Rep all should be good. He was told that all I needed to run 142 hubs were the dropouts and the standard XX1 or Wolftooth chainring for the corrected chainline. Also may need a shorter axle, I have extra so before I buy another I will check and make sure the stocker will or will not fit.

40.00 for the dropouts
    I already have a XX1 spyder and a Wolftooth.

If all is good and working properly it will be a light one for sure, with my XC wheels and tires it will bring the bike down in the mid 24lb range. And I can ride my XC wheels hard so I wont have to worry about them either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I measured the chainstay width on my 9.9 and the 9.7 and there is a difference, I cant see a need for a shorter axle, really doesnt make sense with what I am looking at. Hopefully the Rep knew what he was talking about.

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I own a carbon Remedy, and took a hard look at the spacer idea and concluded it was a no-go.

Custom machined end caps could work with some wheels, but when I set up a 142 hub with spacers, the engagement of the hub endcaps with the dropouts was pretty minimal, maybe about half of what it should be. My conclusion was that this would not be very safe.
    I don't understand your point.

I think the load is tranfered from the axle to bearings of the hub. The end caps are just here for horizontal positionning.

Just go to the Banshee forum, you will discover that the first 142mm dropout of the Prime were flat.

I think that the machining of the dropouts matching the axle is only here so that the hub is located to provide easy entry for the axle.

If i'm true, then the spacers idea shall work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    I don't understand your point.

I think the load is tranfered from the axle to bearings of the hub. The end caps are just here for horizontal positionning.

Just go to the Banshee forum, you will discover that the first 142mm dropout of the Prime were flat.

I think that the machining of the dropouts matching the axle is only here so that the hub is located to provide easy entry for the axle.

If i'm true, then the spacers idea shall work.
    You probably have a point there, but I would still be leery of reducing the design overlap that much.

I think I'll probably just wait for a good 148 hub option. I carpet bombed about every hub company I could think of, and it sounds like at least a few options are coming, though it may be 2 to 6 months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well my dropouts are here and they are the same ones that are already on the bike my buddy is going to call his rep back and make sure they are on the same page.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bummer, Rep said there was not a kit available to convert it back to a 142. Im either going to get a machine shop to make a set of endcaps or just add 3mm to each side.

Cassoulet forever !
    I spoke with the Sram whells designer today.

There is no sram 60 (carbon) with boost148 for now and near future.
    There is no adaptor kit to fit 142 into boost148 frames, and no plan to make one.
    More boost148 frames will exist in 2015.
    He likes boost148 and rides one personnaly...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I will bet that there will be end caps for hubs later on, maybe not Sram but not to many will buy Sram anyways if there is a aftermarket wheel, hub or adapter available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.D View Post
    Bummer, Rep said there was not a kit available to convert it back to a 142. Im either going to get a machine shop to make a set of endcaps or just add 3mm to each side.
    Let me know what you end up doing, but I'd be interested in picking up the Boost148 Spider from you if you aren't using it. As long as it would be compatible with my Sram XO cranks.

I'm picking up a boost 148 bike in a few weeks, but want to reuse my current xo cranks...

I'll be going with an I9 carbon wheelset with the tax return money next year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I ended up building a Intense and sold the Remedy to my friend. The Intense is nice but I think the 9.9 was better. Oh well.

BTW I put I9 carbons on my Intense, NICE wheelset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ah bummer, you like the torch hubs?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast