mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Bontrager XR3 Expert

Has anyone had any experience on the xr3 experts yet? If so how do they perform?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Curious myself.

I hate that name.
    I've been running an XR3 29x2.1 on the rear of my RF for a couple months. I like it. Kind of skinny for a 2.1, but rolls fast and grips well.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Haven't tried them myself but for those interested they now have a TLR version listed on their website. No pics or link to buy online, but it's there...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have them on on my Fuel Ex8 and quite satisfied with them.. Having a good performance on tarmac and also offroad

mtbr member
    If you mean the new 2013 model, I have ridden them in a 29er. They are really grippy but still roll really fast!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    If you mean the new 2013 model, I have ridden them in a 29er. They are really grippy but still roll really fast!
    Yes, on the 2013 model... but mine is a 26er..

I'd rather be riding
    I'm running the new version on the front of my superfly for winter. Digging it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Can the XR3 experts be used tubeless or do you have to use the TLR version? Thinking about a stache 8 and it has the XR3 experts. I know I would need rim strips, valve core, and stans sealant.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

JF_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey stygz1 have the same question about tubeless. How do you like you fuel ex8 29er, i just ordered mine today, should have in a week and it comes with XR3 2.3's and thinking about tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JF_ View Post
    Hey stygz1 have the same question about tubeless. How do you like you fuel ex8 29er, i just ordered mine today, should have in a week and it comes with XR3 2.3's and thinking about tubeless?
    The 29er has been great. unfortunately I have not been able to make it out to the trails consistently to be in better shape to really enjoy the bike. I have been able to ride a month then too busy the next month. Anyway XR3 experts have worked great set up tubeless. I would have the tubeless swap done before you pick the bike up. My only complaint about the Fuel 29er is it should have came with a 2x10 crank. I put on a SLX crank and FD a few weeks after I bought the bike.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

JF_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2x10 is on my radar, for now just replacing big ring with a bash guard and going tubeless.

Bikes!
    I run the XR3 experts on my Stache 8, I converted them to tubeless with the Bontrager kit and they are really good all rounders, they only really struggle on the muddiest of mud, they are fairly light and of decent girth. I like them. The only really problem I've had was no fault of the tyres, as last week I pulled an inch long shard of glass out of the rear, it sealed itself up enough to get me the 3 miles home, but I had to use a glue less patch on the inside of the tyre (as per Bontrager's advice) and it worked a treat, no air loss. Oh and when running them tubeless it's sometimes difficult to get them to pop back onto the rim evenly.

I've ran Schwalbes for a few years but from recent experiences I think I'm a convert to Bontrager.

JF_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Can't wait to try em out on my new Fuel ex8, hope they ride as well as my Kenda Nevegals. Out here in the desert ( Las Vegas,NV) we have a lot of cactus, and sharp rocks that can ruin your ride, tubeless is the only way to go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager XR3 Expert-600_264263312.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I wasn't too impressed with mine personally. Then again, I have been riding with big, trippy tires like Kenda Nevegals and Continental Mountain Kings. Maybe I will keep one to use as a rear tire when it dries up here in the Cascades.

JF_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bontrager XR3 Expert where big disappiontment! after a few rides went back to Kenda Navigals. The 2.2 Navigals have a wider foot print and a better grip. Had no problem going tubless with TLR rims (duster 29)