None
    Apr 2007

Bontrager XR1 29 vs. 29-1

Hello,

I am shopping for a 29er tire that I can use for long rides that alternate between pavement and gravel roads. The gravel can range from fine and packed to loose. I understand that the XR1 Team Issue has closer spaced smaller knobs while the new 29-1 has larger knobs and more widely spaced than the XR1. As I am still able to purchase some XR1 29 team issue tires, I was wondering which would be better for my application? Thanks for any input.

Pure Evil
    I've put in quite a bit of time on both tires. The 29-1 is actually one of my favorite tires for hard pack summer conditions, I'm running the 1's in both 29" and 26" on most of my mtb's right now.

The newer 29-1 has a more constant cornering feel and breakaway point than the old XR1 which would get pretty sketchy when conditions were slightly loose or wet. The 29-1 may be a tiny bit slower than the old tire, but it's completely worth the improved cornering and better performance in loose or wet conditions. I've been running the 1.9 XR1's on my all weather 4-season commuter. They do really well in snow and roll super fast on pavement and gravel. I actually might try to squeeze a set of the 1.9's on my CX bike for rougher gravel roads. For your riding the XR1 is probably perfect.
    |Trek Bicycle Corporation|

Check out my Sweet Tweets!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    29-1. The XR1 were total crap. Not just in handling, but they tend to flat really easy as the knobs would break off. I have ridden the 29-1 all season without a flat and could never get more than a few hard trail rides in on the XR-1s. But given that you are looking to ride ST. if you can get a great deal on the XR1 go for it. What about he 29-0 for those conditions?

None
    Apr 2007
    I was looking at the 29-0 and from the reviews it appears they are very short lived tires even though they might be effective. I have heard a lot of good things about the 29-1, though. From what I am hearing, might be best to get the XR1 for my application and try the 29-1 for some light trail applications. Any advice on sizing of the 29-1? It only comes in 2.0 or 2.2. I was wondering if the 2.0 would be wide enough if one is not racing but just looking for great single track performance.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I have the XR1, but I have never been comfortable on them. I have have had some high and low speed washouts of the front wheel on the loose stuff. For paved trails and the road, they are great, but unless they are dirt cheap, I would pass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHamster View Post
    I was looking at the 29-0 and from the reviews it appears they are very short lived tires even though they might be effective. I have heard a lot of good things about the 29-1, though. From what I am hearing, might be best to get the XR1 for my application and try the 29-1 for some light trail applications. Any advice on sizing of the 29-1? It only comes in 2.0 or 2.2. I was wondering if the 2.0 would be wide enough if one is not racing but just looking for great single track performance.
    The 29-0 are short lived, but you said Pavement/ fire road. I have a buddy that probably has put 1000 miles on a set this year with that type of ridding. He doesn't take them on ST though.

As far as the 29-1 width. Depends on the ST and your ridding style I would guess. I have both 2.0 and 2.2 mounted on different rim sets.

I used the 2.0s during the Wausau 24 this year with no issues at all. The course has lots of roots and some rock gardens. I have used the 2.2s when the there are a lot of rocks and I wanted the higher volume or when my confidence is lower

Is not amused
    I say go for the 29-1. The reviews I've seen about the xr1 are so so. For when it's dry, hard pack I run the 29-1. The trails around here, once the roots and rocks get wet that's were they too become sketchy. Also have over 400 miles on the 29-1 both on the street and on the trails. For me they wear down slow too. BTW this is the 2.2 size which has good volume compared to the 2.25 RaRa's I run when it's wet out.
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 08-13-2012 at 07:52 PM.

None
    Apr 2007
    It looks like none of the dealers can get the 29-1 until late September. All of the other 29er tires in the Bontrager line appear to be available. I would guess the 29-1 must have been real popular during this season. For now, picked up a pair of XR1 team issues and will give them a try since I got them "dirt" cheap. I'm going to pick up the 29-1 when it becomes available.