Andrew

Bontrager vs. Stans?

Currently I'm on Bontrager Mustang 29er hoops laced to a Bontrager 28-hole FCC alloy front hub and Shimano M525 32-hole rear hub (stock wheelset) and and longing for a louder rear hub. Was planning to go with the Hope Pro 2's especially since they're available in the 142x12 rear hub size. Was planning to lace them to the Mustang rims as they setup for tubeless with ease and seem light compared to the Azonic Outlaws im used to from my previous hardtail. My questions is, would I see a big benefit from running a completely custom setup and going with the Stan's Arches or should I just keep the Mustangs? I've heard the Mustangs are heavy, but I don't have any real numbers to back it up.

2012 Superfly 100 Carbon.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We pulled a mustang off of a wheel set the other day. Little more than 500 grams. I was actually pretty surprised, I would have guessed more. Arch's are definitely lighter, and can be had pretty reasonably. Since you're probably going to be buying spokes anyway, I'd go full custom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would just get a new wheel set what ever it is and sell your old set or keep as a spare. If you take them apart you will end up with left over parts not worth much and one set of wheels.

Andrew
    Yeah, that's what I was kind of thinking would work out better dlennard. Was planning to replace the spokes and nipples anyway with the swap (DT Swiss), just really like the Bonti tubeless system. Will probably just replace the hoops as well. Thanks for the weight info JMUsuperman.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100