mtbr member

Bontrager Tubeless Rim Strip???

So I wanted to go tube less for my Race X Lite wheelset. My local LBS had a heck of a time to get the rim strips, and they only could get one out of the two (I think the asymmetric one). Then I went to another LBS which is much bigger, and they are saying the rim strips are on back order as well.

Does anyone know if we have a shortage of 26" tubeless rim strips? Or does anyone have a spare symmetric one sitting around??

Thanks,

Ming

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    FYI, the disc wheels use Assymetric (offset spoke bed) rims front and rear.

not really an mtbr member
    I think there is a shortage- I don't think they quite expected so many people to go tubeless (though I don't know why, it couldn't have been any easier with TLR tires stock and them sealing so easily.

Technical courses rule!
    Feb 2005
    They just fixed the issue and if you scroll through some of the Trek show info it speaks of them being released later this week. Apparently 29er was hard to find this season.

Mike
    Last edited by mtp123; 08-17-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    I'll believe it when I see it!
    I've been after them since last NOVEMBER to get the wider 29" strips. Then the RXL TLR 29 got rare. Now 26"? Whats going on.
    I work a a large bike shop and love the Bonti rim/wheel product because of the TLR technology, but my shop is looking bad for recommending thier product.
    Come on Trek this is LAME!!!!

Technical courses rule!
    Feb 2005
    I should not have written 26" it was just 29er strips that the people have been speaking/writing about. Go to the following page and he mentions the new strips coming out.

www.twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtp123
    They just fixed the issue and if you scroll through some of the Trek show info it speaks of them being released later this week. Apparently 29er was hard to find this season.

Mike
    I looked at the site, and it was saying new 29" rims can use existing rim strips. So I take it as there is no problems with the existing 26" strips? I already have 1 asymmetric strip, so I guess I'll change my order with the shop to only 1 asymmetric strip and hope they get it faster.

Cheers,

Ming

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Boy that was convincing "First off, yes…….the Rhythm Tubeless Ready rim strips are in fact coming……very soon!"
    One of the buyers at my shop was at Trek last week and they said three weeks. When the words came out of his mouth we all looked at each other and shook our heads. Fool me once...

bike buster
    The LBS ordered and received a few days later tubeless rim strips for my Rhythm Comps. Now if we had known you need to order the valve separately...

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, my LBS finally got my rim strips in! After about a month and half of waiting. So it looks like there are no more back log

I originally ordered an asymmetrical one from one LBS, then they said they couldn't get anymore. So I got another one to order an asymmetrical one and a symmetrical one. Now I finally have a pair that I could use.

I did ask the first shop to get me tubeless valves, and they look like they're well made as well.

I put the rim strip on, which only took a few minutes, and the tires blew up on the first shot and seated itself really easily. I love how easy the system is compared to the DT Swiss tubeless kit!

I have my fingers crossed and hoping it'll still hold air tomorrow morning.

bike buster
    Have you found the valves anywhere online? I'm trying to get an idea of what they look like so I will be able to tell whether or not they are the correct ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Members who have read this thread: 0