mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bontrager Shock pump question???

Bontrager Shock pump question....just looking for affirmation. Just picked up a Scratch Air 9 yesterday, and I didn't notice the pump I was given reads at approx. 20psi when it is unpressurized. Is it safe to say that I should look at the 20psi reading as 0psi and just subtract 20psi from the measurement is receive on the gauge. ie: 240psi on gauge=220psi

Texan
    At work I calibrate pressure gauges and other things. You cannot assume that the error your seeing is linear. It's a cheap gauge and most likely the error is already at least 5% when new. That doesn't mean you can't use it though. Adjust your pressures according to the recommended "sag" and not what the gauge reads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    At work I calibrate pressure gauges and other things. You cannot assume that the error your seeing is linear. It's a cheap gauge and most likely the error is already at least 5% when new. That doesn't mean you can't use it though. Adjust your pressures according to the recommended "sag" and not what the gauge reads.
    ^ This!

I have 4 shock pumps from different companies, everyone gives a very different reading. Figure out what your correct sag is, with one pump, and then only use that pump.