mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Bontrager Race Lite Disc 29 (non-TLR)

Posted this originally in tires and wheels but I figured since Bonty is a Trek brand, I'd get more opinions in here:

"OK, I got a wheelset from ebay to go tubeless on my 2011 Trek X-Caliber. The ad did say that it had one Bonty rimstrip and one Stans rimstrip. I didn't think anything of it until I tried to mount a tubeless tire on the Stans rimstrip.

The front wheel is a Race TLR (difficult to mount tire but pumped up with floor pump) while the rear wheel is a Race Lite without the TLR designation (easy to mount tire but impossible to pump up). I tried to clean off as much of the dried sealant as possible and tried again but no go.

My question is, can I use the Bonty rimstrips for the 29er wheel even though the wheel isn't TLR? I've searched and not come up with a definitive answer. Or should I just get another Stans rimstrip and tape?"
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I believe the non-TLR rims are 1 or 2mm narrower than the TLR, your best bet is with Stan's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks, I appreciate the response.

Just to double check, it looks like notubes.com says it's the standard rimstrip. So I guess that rimstrip fits 26" and 29" rims? And the 21mm yellow tape, right?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've done both, but would recommend the Stans strip on the non TLR rim. No need for yellow tape, just use the existing rim tape under the strip. When I used the TLR strip in the non TLR rim, I had it work for a while but had to pull the tire for some reason and never had it work again. I even blew the tire off the rim a few times. The TLR system is great if you have all the right components.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    @kdiddy, thanks for the info. I've converted the TLR Dusters on my Fuel with the Bonty strips with no problem. And the TLR Race 29er that I got with the Bonty strips pumped up fine with the floor jack as well. The rear came with the Stans strip already installed but I guess he used electrical tape. I removed all that crud and ordered the yellow tape and a new rimstrip. Hopefully, it all works out.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Update:

Ordered a new rimstrip and yellow tape from Stans. At first the tire wouldn't seat at all. I've converted 2 wheels (both TLR) successfully with the floor pump so I thought I'd have the same luck with the Stans system. No workie.

Ordered a air compressor from amazon and tried that. No workie.

Once I figured that the tire was rotating on the rim way too easily, I took everything out and added one more layer of yellow tape. Put everything back together and tried airing it up. Tire was much tighter on the rim but still no workie. I hate that presta to schrader adapter.

Took the valve core out and tried airing up the tire with the blower attachment with the trigger. That worked! Covered up the presta valve with my finger and quickly screwed in the core and aired the rest of it up with my floor pump (to keep an eye on the pressure).

I'm going full TLR if I ever buy another wheelset. Don't want to mess around with these conversion kits anymore. LOL. Although, now I have a sweet Race Lite rear with a DT Swiss hub on the 29er.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    One last question though, thinking about it, I didn't hear a "pop" when the tire seated. I only pumped it up to 40psi. I looked on both sides of the tire and it looks like the bead is set properly. Should I take it up to 50 to see if I hear a pop?

Maybe the pop is only for a TLR rim?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes