Weiner Dog Connoiseur

Bontrager Race = Truativ Firex?

I just picked up a used set of Bontrager Race cranks along with a few other used parts today. My plan was to put them on my old Klein Pulse Comp to replace the Truativ Firex (and presumably get a small weight savings). Much to my chagrin, the Bontrager and Truativ cranks were completely identical...right down to the serial number stampings on the crank arms.

I guess this is more of a confirmation than a question, but are the Bontrager Race and Truativ Firex one and the same? It's no big deal. I paid dirt for the parts and now I have some spare parts to draw from. I just want to know if it's even worth swapping the cranks.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    That's a good question. I'm kinda curious to see if anyone knows the answer to this one. It wouldn't surprise me though if they were the same. I have also heard that Giant makes alot of Trek's Frames. I always wondered if that was true too, and if so which frames they made. Maybe someone could answer that question also.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

eBiker
    They are made by Truvative. If the serial number is the same then most likely they are the same model. A few years ago the "Select" version was the Firex and the Race version was the Stylo (base) and Race Lite the Stylo Team. But maybe times have changed.

Still good cranks tho.

Mr. P

eBiker
    All of Trek's medium to higher end frames (any FS, decent road, and decent hard tails) are made in the USA. Any Trek bike that is meant to compete with the lowest cost market will be made over-seas (for obvious reasons).

I'm not sure why so much misinformation is spread about this, most likely an inner industry anti-pr campaign as this question has needlessly popped up for years (not your fault).

If a rider wants a non-craftsman USA made frame, Trek is it. I'm impressed that they can still pull it off, and they deserve credit for doing so.

Mr. P

Double-metric mtb man
    Woohoo!

That's what I like to hear as I am getting closer to picking up my Cake 2 DLX
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Actually, Giant USED to make many of the Trek frames, but they don't these days. Not the upper end ones, anyway.