mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bontrager Jones XR tire question

My tires that came on my Fuel EX 8 are bontrager jones xr. They also say aramid bead on the sidewall. My question is are they tubeless ready? The tires seem to be working well for me so far. Anyone know much about the tire in question?
    2014 Niner RIP 9 (Roval Carbon wheels, Pike)

Sold:
    Trek Fuel EX8 29er (Rhythm Pro wheels, 2x conversion)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Bontrager XR Tires

These tires came stock on my Trek EX-8 and can be converted to tubeless easily with an inexpensive Bontrager kit. The kit includes a special rim strip and valve stem. Just add a scoop of Stan's sealant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It seems you have XR4 26 x 2.20" (Expert) version
    Official page does not specifies them as tubeless ready, because they missing a special TLR marking.
    h t t p://bontrager.com/model/09476

But I wouldn't bother with that. I agree with previous poster - Stans NoTubes is a great sealant and works great even on superlight tires. Just be sure to make your wheels airtight with some converter kit.

PS. and don't forget to inflate 2.5+ bars of pressure in tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    No these are not the XR4 tires. They are older than that. They do not specify TLR on the side of the tire but the Bontrager Duster wheels do say TLR. They do not say anything about expert or team issue on the side. It only says aramid bead on the side wall.
    2014 Niner RIP 9 (Roval Carbon wheels, Pike)

Sold:
    Trek Fuel EX8 29er (Rhythm Pro wheels, 2x conversion)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Trek website says 2011 EX8 have XR4's but my bike also came with Jones XR. I dont think they are worth spending the money to make them tubeless. My 2.1 nevegal's have better traction and I ran them with tubes.

Trek EX8 Upgrader
    My 11' EX8 came with XR's. Yes, they SHOULD have came with XR3's. Trek needed to get rid of old XR's, and did so with their most popular selling bike. I like the XR's for BONE dry hardpack, and nothing else. They are not tubeless ready, and the sidewalls are barely thick enough to hold back a tube. I love the XR4's, or Schwalbe Nobby Nic's.