mtbr member
    Aug 2009

bontrager inform rl saddle?

Im looking into the Inform RL and the Evoke RL saddle. any suggestions? I cant stand the seat i have now, and would like anice comfortable wider saddle

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Buy one and try it out, they have comfort guarantees. If you dont like it, take it back and try another.

What saddle are you using now? The Inform and Evoke are both available in multiple widths, so make sure and get your back side measured before you buy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the Inform RL that they released last year on my EX8. Despite it being a road bike saddle it is awesome. You get the sit bone fitting done and it cradles your a** nicely. I love it. I picked up a road bike last fall and I'll be putting the seat I have on my mtb onto the road bike and getting the mtn specific seat for my ex8.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    how do i tell what width i would need? Any opinions on the evoke?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 99mikegt
    how do i tell what width i would need? Any opinions on the evoke?
    Bontrager dealers are equipped with "ass-o-meters" that measure the width of the bottom of your pelvis. Rest assured, the process is all external. Keep in mind, the measurement has much more to do with biometrics rather than body mass. In other words, a skinny feller' could possibly be fit to the widest width, and a portly dude could go for a narrow version. It all has to do with the width of your sit bones.

Secondly: Every report I've heard about the Evoke has been positive, with the exception of some folks noting a shorter than average nose. If you prefer a long(er) saddle, this might not be the perch for you. The RL and R versions also offer a bit more padding that the road-going versions. So much so, that I've been told that some members of Team Radio Shack actually utilized them in the cobble-ridden Spring Classics. Then again, saddle choice is often so personal, that I would recommend a test ride. As mentioned above, Bontrager offers an "Unconditional Comfort Guarantee." If it doesn't fit your butt, you can bring it back. Check the bottom of this page:

http://bontrager.com/features/evoke

Also a word about the road Inform saddles:

I love 'em. But, I had to remove them from my mountain bikes. They fit my posterior just fine, but the "points" at the back of the saddle tend to snag shorts when trying to move behind the saddle for descents. I destroyed two pairs of shorts when my Inform saddle ripped through while moving back to a seated position from hanging behind the seat. The first time, I thought it was a fluke. The second time I was able to get back to a crowded trailhead parking lot before I noticed that I was "hanging out." The Evoke saddles have done away with the pointed structure of the rear of the saddle, and replaced it with a smooth arc covered in an abrasion resistant fabric.

If you fancy trying the Inform technology on a mountain bike (which I highly recommend), wait for the Evoke as it'll be much more at home than a Road saddle. These should be showing up at your Bontrager dealer any day now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jason745
    Bontrager dealers are equipped with "ass-o-meters" that measure the width of the bottom of your pelvis. Rest assured, the process is all external

Ass-O-Meters...that is just priceless.

But yeah...they have this bench you sit on, has some gel under a pad. You sit on it and where your bones make marks you will have your seat measurement.