mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Bontrager ACX tires

I just got a Fuel EX7. It comes with the Bontrager ACX 2.2 tires. The reviews on this tire are less than impressive. The reviews mention that they are only good for the rear wheel and they are dangerous on the front. My old bike had WTB Weirwolf Comps and I like those. I went on one short ride and I had the front tire slip a little on one coner. Do you guys ride on these tires or do you switvh to something else? What is the preferred tire for XC riding?

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    I have the Bontrager ACX tires on my Fuel 70. I like them, but that might be more out of ignorance than actual tire experience. I've only ridden on a few sets of Bonty's for the last 7 years, and the ACXs that came with my Trek Fuel are the best of the bunch. I haven't had the front wheel drift issue, but that may be because the Manitou Axel Comp that the Fuel 70 comes with is such a boat anchor (6.3 lbs) that the front tire just plants itself in the ground. The Bontrager Maverick wheels aren't exactly featherweights either. I've drifted the rear, but the Fuel has such nice geometry that it's easy to control and snap back into line.

Around here (Maryland), the recommended tires, by far, have been the Panaracer Fire XC and the Hutchinson Pythons. I'm just too lazy/cheap to try out a different set of tires. Maybe at the end of this season I'll put a new set of tires on the bike.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm in the same boat. I've just picked up a new Fisher and it has the ACX's. I'm going to give them a shot, but locally here in central Alberta, the Panaracer Fire XC Pros seem to be the tire of choice for those with a bit of an XC bent.

I'm leaning towards riding the ACX's until they are slicks (or what qualifies for slicks with all the climbing I do in the local river valley) and then possibly go back to the Panny's. I haven't had any problems with the ACX's yet, but I'm a bit of a Clyde, so I plant the tires pretty firmly into the turf when I ride at the best of times. I'll keep you posted, though.

Just my thoughts.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    ACX's are the best tyre I've used and are waaay more stable than any Panaracer. My misses had 'em first on her Fuelex, before I gave 'em a try and for the money they're brill, esp considering they're tubeless ready. My previous experience were XC Fire's, Trailblasters!, Motoraptors. A pal has also changed to ACX's and he rates 'em over Cinders, XC's and Hutchinsons. Something we have noticed about the ACX's is that they like to be driven, esp in the gloop - if you coast then they'll squirm, not badly and once you get used to it you can use it to your advantage.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks

Last night I went out for a little longer ride and I didn't have a problem. They went through mud and sand just fine. I'll stick with these tires and probably use them until the tread wears thin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

You love 'em or hate 'em

My Fuel EX7 came with ACX 26x2.2s. After about 50 miles, I replaced them with my old Panaracer 2.1 Trailblasters. The difference was staggering. It was like someone had takes a couple of pounds off each wheel and I did my standard short route in 55 minutes instead of the previous 62+. The bike feels a whole lot faster and more stable with the Panaracers.

mtbr member
    The ACXs are available in many different types - from 2.1 to 2.35, steel or kevlar bead, standard, tubeless or Tubeless-ready - so it's tough to generalize.

I use 2.2 ACX TR on my Fuel and ACX Tubeless on the Liquid. These have served me well and will definitely get the TR again.

The 2.1 steel on my Bontrager sucks, though. These didn't stay on the bike long.

mtbr member
    I have had good luck w/ mine. The IRC's have washed out and caused me more problems.

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    FrankH has a point, a pal first tried the steel versions and the harder compound made em roll easily but they had much less grip. He's now got the TR versions and loves 'em.
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I took mine off for some Kenda Stickee's in 2.35. I like em.