mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Bontrager AT-650 wheels - need info

Hey All,
    Can anyone provide me with any information about the Bontrager AT-650 wheelset? I'm looking for weight, inner and outer rim width..

I can't seem to find any specs on this wheelset online. I'm trying to find out if the Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp or the Charger Expert would be a significant upgrade to the AT-650 wheelset. I'm hoping they are significantly lighter...

Thanks!
    Shyam

mtbr member
    Yes they will be a significant upgrade. If for nothing else than the Sun Ringle's are tubeless ready but I know they are a lot lighter.

Are you talking 26" or 29" wheels?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks BritishNate - I'm talking about 29" wheels.

I'm torn between the blackflag comp (lighter?) or the charger expert (more durable?) ...any opinions there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The AT-650's that came on my Cobia weighed in at 1080 Front and 1275 Rear. I dropped almost a full pound switching to Arch/CK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shyamrox View Post
    Thanks BritishNate - I'm talking about 29" wheels.

I'm torn between the blackflag comp (lighter?) or the charger expert (more durable?) ...any opinions there?
    I had looked into both of the wheelsets at one point. I contacted Sun Ringle and was told that the Black flags are an XC wheel that if you are conscious of the lines you pick would be great but the Chargers are more of an all mountain rim that will take more of a beating. I think part of it depends on how tough you are on your parts and how heavy you are. I know for me being 225lbs I was a bit concerned with the black flags but I am sure you will do great either way. I have seen the Black flags 29" in person and they are a well built wheel. I have also seen the Charger pro but in a 26".

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    That helps a lot! I think I'm going to go with the Black Flag Comp mostly because its QR, 15/20 through axle compatible so I'm not limited when I eventually upgrade the fork - I'm about 165 without gear...the only gear I put on is a helmet & gloves I'm mostly doing just XC, rolling through small rock gardens and over logs...no huge drops or jumps..