Bikes!

A bike I wouldn't change a thing on - Trek Stache 8

I've been lucky enough to borrow a Trek Stache 8 from my LBS for a couple of weeks until my new bike arrives, last weekend they lent me a Fuel EX 9 29er which I thought was fantastic, however they told me they had a Stache for me and I jumped at the chance to ride it as I've been toying with the idea of ordering one since I first saw them last year.

My first impressions are, as my title suggests, that I wouldn't change a thing on it, it is such a good, yet sensible spec, the gears work impeccably, the brakes are fantastic (feel better to me, than the XT's on the Fuel EX 9) the stem feels fine the length it is to me, the bars just the right side of wide for it's intended use, the cranks look and feel great and the wheels, although not light or tubeless, they feel nice and spritely and fitted with excellent tyres. I am pretty in love with the way the bike rides, what's come apparent to me over the past two weekends is that Trek have 29ers dialled and they ride really really well. I owned an Orange Gyro 29er up until a couple of weeks ago, I loved that bike, it was the best 29er I'd ridden, until last weekend.

I've only ridden full suspension for the past 12 months since getting rid of my 26" Orange P7 hardtail, so my first ride felt kind of awkward and weird to me, we didn't initially gel. However, I swung my leg over it yesterday morning and felt completely at home on it. I had a 17 mile blast around a local loop which although isn't massively challenging, it's a high speed fitness route that helped me get to grips with it. It felt fast where a full suspension can feel limited, which is exactly what I want from a hardtail, something that wants me to take it on a local route but will still enjoy trail centre and longer rides as well as play rides.

It is exactly what I'm looking for from a hardtail, I don't want the most bling as I have my FS for that, but I don't want a heavy bike and I still want it to look and perform well.

So now I'm left trying to find 1800 to buy one, that's if Trek bring some more into production as currently they are completely sold out of the 8. I'd never ridden a Trek until last week, yup Trek, you have me sold!

Awesome bike, highly recommended!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great review! Any idea when the 2014 Stache's may be out?

Bikes!
    Thanks! I was told by my LBS that Trek will no longer be launching official year by year models, instead opting for launching new models as and when they become available, hence the launch for the Fuel EX and Remedy a few weeks back and way before they would normally launch their new year bikes. So I'm crossing my fingers that they will simply just have a new production run on the Stache 8 and that they'll do it soon!

Bikes!

A bike I wouldn't change a thing on - Trek Stache 8-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371911232.038059.jpg

A bike I wouldn't change a thing on - Trek Stache 8-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371911383.191871.jpg

A bike I wouldn't change a thing on - Trek Stache 8-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371911410.674615.jpg

A bike I wouldn't change a thing on - Trek Stache 8-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371911430.473506.jpg

Went out on a 20 miler today, set quite a few Strava PR's on the up hills, this thing flies!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

Bikes!
    I pick up my 2014 Stache 8 tomorrow!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I pick up my 2014 Stache 8 tomorrow!
    Have fun!

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    Have fun!
    Thanks Bob, I'll post some pictures soon.

Bikes!

Here's mine, picked it up today, will ride properly some time next week.

I bought this as my winter bike so decided to run a 1x10 setup using a Raceface Narrow wide 34T ring, so far the thing flies quite nicely.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer