mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Better fork for 05 4500 disc

I am really getting into trail riding that max on 3-4' drops, but feel I would would enjoy it more with a better front shock. I am 6'1 and 210lbs. Based on research, I was looking into the 05 Marzocchi MX comp ETA 120mm...Is this a good choice for me?

Three sheets to the wind
    I don't think you would be very happy with that fork, especially after it fails. The MX series is a Cross Country fork and is NOT designed for any drops. If you were to stay with Marzocchi 2005 I would be looking at one of the DJ, DO or Z1 series forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Maybe I am wrong by stating 3-4' drops. I ride on a local singletrack in FL called Oleta River. The highest drops are riding off of logs and dirt elevations of 2-maybe 3', nothing scary at all and I never catch total air. I approach slow, lift and plant the front then coast over till the back is on the floor. What I consider drops are very, very steep angles going down 3-5', but the bike remains in contact with the ground the whole time. I have never felt unsafe going down these steep "drops" and have done it dozens of times. This is the only trail I have ever been on, so don't really know how else to categorize the style of riding. So maybe I am just a cross country rider???
    Last edited by medik13; 05-25-2006 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Will I be able to bolt the mechanical disc caliper to an 05 Marzocchi MX comp fork? Is there an adaptor that I have to purchase to make it happen? I noticed the Judy TT has mounting holes and bracket built into the forks, but by looking at the pictures, I see none on the Marzocchi...Please help

Looking to Start Racing
    It's all good guy. The brakes will fit on no problem. Good fork choice. Not to expensive and good adjustments.

Have fun with it.
    Evolve or Die

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TREK 4 Life
    It's all good guy. The brakes will fit on no problem. Good fork choice. Not to expensive and good adjustments.

Have fun with it.
    Thanks...I ended up ordering the MX comp ETA 105mm. I got good advice on not getting the 120mm's, was told they would change the geometry too much.

Looking to Start Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by medik13
    Thanks...I ended up ordering the MX comp ETA 105mm. I got good advice on not getting the 120mm's, was told they would change the geometry too much.
    Ya thats true. I am also looking at the same fork. Let me know how it works out.
    Evolve or Die

Ride lots...
    I am running an MX Pro 105mm w/ ETA on my Trek 4500 and I love it. It compliments the bike pretty well. It's not the lightest fork out there, but then again, the 4500 isn't the lightest bike either, so who cares

I think this fork (or the MX Comp) is a great choice for the Trek. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.
    Last edited by DSDuke; 12-26-2006 at 06:54 PM.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.