mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Anyone running a 120mm fork on a Superfly/HiFi?

I am thinking about putting a 120mm fork on my Superfly 100 but I can't seem to find much online about other peoples experiences doing this. It seems pretty common for Tallboy owners to run with a 120mm fork to slacken things out just a little, but has anyone done it with their Superfly?

If so, was it a good/bad move? Did it make the bike any more fun for general trail ridding?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 120mm Reba Team maxle fork on my 2010 Hifi Plus. The 20mm maxle is a substantial improvement over the Fox RL it's much stiffer and actually helps the bike to accelerate faster. My friend has actually ridden that bike far more than I have and told me that the steering on that bike is quite good and the bike simply went where it wanted it go.

Unfortunately I don't have too much time on the Hifi Plus but when I upgraded the fork on the GF Rig to 15mm it was a substantial improvement not did the bike accelerate more easily but it was also far more manuverable at high speeds as well. If you're running a 9mm q/r fork on that bike you're doing yourself a major disservice.

I hate that name.
    It will basically adjust the geometry to the Rumblefish numbers, except for the 51mm offset (unless you can find a 120mm G2 fork).
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey! I just put a Fox F120 on my 2011 Superfly 100! It was definitely worth the effort! I had to buy a Rumblefish to get a fork in white with the g2 offset! Tried ordering one from Fox but they could only do it in black! Parted out the Fish on eBay and basically got the fork for free! Rides awesome btw! No change in steering! Added a Reverb seatpost and my bike is still under 26lbs! I truly have my "One" bike! Extremely plush on the downhill and still super fast everywhere else! I now can keep up with my buddy going down the "luge" and he's on a Scott Genius! But I have to wait for him on the climbs! Lol!

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010

FOX Talas

I've got a 2011 Superfly 100 Pro and I put a Fox Talas 120/95 with the G2 offset. It was expensive, but worth every penny. This frame should come with a 110+ fork since the rear is 110. The bike is insanely capable, it's an all mountain bike now that is super fast on the climbs. I still don't do any drops over maybe 1-2 ft because it is a XC bike after all. If you go with a 120, make sure it has the G2 offset. I tried a normal Talas and the steering was a mess. Once you get used to the 120mm and if you want more travel, go with wide rims and big volume tires. I also had the Talas serviced by PUSH and it feels like another 20mm of travel. Have fun!

Rohloff
    I started off as a beginner on lighter trails with a 2008 Gary Fisher HiFi, with 100mm front and rear. A few broken rear triangles later, I ended up with a 2011 Trek HiFi, with 100mm up front and 110mm in the back. The combination of imbalanced travel and becoming a more intermediate/advanced rider on rough trails made me want to switch to a 120mm up front. A friend of mine was selling his Fox 34 non-G2 fork limited to 120mm, so I grabbed it.

A long story short. I like it a lot.

It's quite different. It's taken a bit of getting use to. Naturally, the handling isn't quite a quick, but it is a bit smoother and more predicable. The extra plushness up front is appreciated and seems more balanced with the 110mm in the rear. The higher bottom bracket helps A LOT with pedal strikes. It made sense that descending would improve, and it did a lot, but I was worried that climbing would suffer. At first it took a little getting use to the new geometry, but I can now with less than 50 miles on the new fork, I'm finding it actually climbs better.

All put together, it transformed the bike from a XC bike to a trail bike. It's more capable on rough trails. I'm going through difficult sections with greater ease and I've already cleared a couple of sections I hadn't before.

If I rode a lot of smooth flowy trails, I'd stick with 100mm. For rough trails, I recommend trying a 120mm fork.

My questions: Is this a RumbleFi or a HiFish?
    Last edited by bsdc; 10-25-2013 at 01:12 PM.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Good to hear!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I did the exact same thing with the same results - it made it a better trail bike and it still climbed well in the 95 or 120 mm mode. Anyhow, I ended up selling the bike in stock form and posting the fork in the classifieds. I use my 29er hardtail for most rides these days and will likely get a Remedy in the spring for bigger trail rides.
    edit: I don't see the ad anymore

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    I did the exact same thing with the same results - it made it a better trail bike and it still climbed well in the 95 or 120 mm mode. Anyhow, I ended up selling the bike in stock form and posting the fork in the classifieds. I use my 29er hardtail for most rides these days and will likely get a Remedy in the spring for bigger trail rides.
    edit: I don't see the ad anymore
    I just demo'd a Remedy. Nice bike. Plush. I think G2 really becomes an advantage on such a bike.

Crash test dummy
    Can the Rockshox front fork that comes on the superfly 2013 al 100 be converted to 120 and get similar results. Thanks

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBandit View Post
    Can the Rockshox front fork that comes on the superfly 2013 al 100 be converted to 120 and get similar results. Thanks
    I'm pretty sure the fork that comes with the bike is a 100mm fork and can't be extended to 120mm. The good news is you can usually buy used 120mm fork, then turn around and sell your 100mm fork and come out close to even.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What exactly is g2 offset and why is it important?

I'm searching and there are so few of them to choose from.

I have a 2013 Superfly 100 and considering this conversion

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Check this video.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks!