mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Anyone own a 2013 X Caliber? About to purchase!

Hi, I went back to my LBS and test rode the 2013 29er X Caliber 19" and the 12 6500 26er HT. I rode the X caliber first this time. I must say that the colors look much better in person. I took the bike out in the parking lot for a few minutes jut to get comfortable. Then I hit the streets, jumping over cubs, potholes and going through most of the gears. I noticed that the gear changes were very rough and a few time it downshifted by itself. I knew the bike wasn't adjusted right. A few minutes later the chain broke. Luckily, I was only a couple of block from the LBS. I brought it back and I told them what happened. They aid they would fix it.

In the meantime, I took out the Trek 6500 18.5". I had taken out this bike before and at $1200 it was a great deal. I am just concerned that the marketplace is dropping higher end 26" hardtails and this bike could be a dinosaur in a couple of year. As soon as I got on it felt like a kids bike, but almost in a negative way. It was my size (18.5) but felt so much smaller. It was very easy to handle. It felt a little lighter (turned out to be by only 1lb (27.2 for the 6500, 28.1 for the X-Cal, both had pedals). It was definitely quicker handling that the X-Caliber, but it did not have the same rolling characteristics. I found myself pre planning on lifting the front wheel just before jumping some 8" curbs. The 29er just rolled over them. I also noticed the 29ers rear end handled any bumps and jumps better than the 26er. The 26er did seem more inclined to wheelie though. The bike seemed to shift smoothly, but the disc brakes were noisy and vibrated quite a bit.

I returned it and the X-Cal had been repaired and adjusted, so I took it back out. Wow, the shifting was seamless without any clatter at all. Much smother than my Trek 7.3FX and even smoother than the 6500. I also preferred it's remote lockout to the 6500 as you only have to push the same button. The disc brakes were also very quiet and powerful, contrary to some reviewers. I became more confident this time on a 29er. Not quite as quick to transition as the 6500, but close. I really feel that buying a 29er will make you a better rider. I told the LBS I was interested, but I wanted to negotiate the price. They are asking $1550, but this would be the fourth bike I and my family have bought from them in 9 months. I also notice a couple of small scratches on the shifter. He said he would need to contact corporate, since it's not independently owned. I will know Tuesday and I hope he can knock it down to $1450, since originally, $1200 was my max price point. Anyone else own an X-Caliber?

Anyone else own an X-Caliber? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

I don't own one but am very interested in buying one and hearing what others have to say. I will be stepping up from a 26" my lbs has a Cobia in stock in my size I may test ride this week they would have to order the x caliber for me but I should be able to get a good sense of feel from the Cobia.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakylx View Post
    I don't own one but am very interested in buying one and hearing what others have to say. I will be stepping up from a 26" my lbs has a Cobia in stock in my size I may test ride this week they would have to order the x caliber for me but I should be able to get a good sense of feel from the Cobia.
    My LBS was the opposite. They had the X-Cal but no Cobia. I think if you like the Cobia, you will love the X-Cal. I know I love my test ride. Only negative I found was a very thin seat. Most reviewers feel the X-Cal is worth the extra $$. I'm going to here from the LBS tomorrow. I hope they will deal at $1450. MSRP is $1699.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Yeah that seems like a really good price was going to ride the Cobia today but weather is terrible so it will have to wait. A couple other threads I have read also have me interested in the stache7 which is in the same price range just not sure which one I will like more as far as feel goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    HAAA! I've been thinking of the Stache 7 also. I've heard it's more of an all mountain bike than XC race. It has 2 front cranks instead of 3 like the X-caliber and it has more travel in front for (120mm vs 100mm). It's supposed to be a better bike for more technical/advanced trails. I've also read that the geometry is slightly more comfortable since it's not an XC race bike. I wish my LBS had one to try out just to compare. The components all seem better than the Xcal, except for the fork. People have also commented on how nice that burnt orange looks during daylight!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Yeah my lbs doesn't have one either but their are a few more in the area I can check out to see if they have one. I have to at least try it before buying but I still believe the x-cal is more suited for my riding.