mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Anyone here riding a Trek STP?

Just curious to see if anyone here has a (and still rides) a Trek STP?

I have a Trek STP 200 and it's bone stock, but I still ride it. Thinking of doing some upgrades but not sure where to start...looking to see what others have done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I ride with a dude that has an STP 400, it's his backup bike but he rides it really well. He has an older (same year as the bike?) SID fork and XTR V-brakes. Other than that it's really nothing fancy but it seems to be a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sweet...I just have never seen anyone riding one. Yes its one of my backups too, but I ride it regularly.

I want to replace the fork, but not sure with what.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I ride one (STP200)... love it. Upgrades I have done:

Rebuilt the Judy Race to use dual black (heavy) springs and 10w oil
    XT front derailleur (OEM was LX; not much difference)
    X9 rear derailleur (XT was stock, which I switched to a XTR rapid rise back in the day, then to X9 so I could go back to GripShift)
    XTR M-950 VBrakes (I still LOVE these brakes! I bought them when they were brand new in like 1996 or 98, the first year V brakes were out)
    SRAM X0 grip shift (GS is easier on my hands and keeps me riding. I love them.)
    Avid SD-7 brake levers (I had M952 XTR lever/shifter combos. Sometimes I wish I had M950/952 levers just to be period correct, but the SD7s are really nice and the speed dial makes adjusting them easier).
    Mavic Crossride UB wheels for off road (I use the Rolf Dolomites for on road since they aren't so strong for a guy my size.)
    Easton EA50 low riser 680mm wide rise bar
    ODI LockOn grips for GripShift
    Specialized Milano seat

I really love this bike, but I do look forward to getting a new bike. I had a panic last year when my negative air chamber took a crap on the rear SID shock since NOBODY makes replacement parts for it, but I found an Ebay seller that makes rebuild kits for all kinds of old air shocks. Ordered his kit and was good to go. I was so excited when I first got it (just before I quit riding for 9-10 years) and I am so excited every time I get to take it out now.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Out of everything I have done, the X9 rdr and the X0 GS matter the most to me since thumb shifters leave me in pain.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    I ride one (STP200)... love it. Upgrades I have done:

Rebuilt the Judy Race to use dual black (heavy) springs and 10w oil
    Have instructions for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    I had a panic last year when my negative air chamber took a crap on the rear SID shock since NOBODY makes replacement parts for it, but I found an Ebay seller that makes rebuild kits for all kinds of old air shocks. Ordered his kit and was good to go. I was so excited when I first got it (just before I quit riding for 9-10 years) and I am so excited every time I get to take it out now.
    My rear SID did the same thing...I had it rebuilt by Suspension Experts out of Asheville NC....its like brand new.

If that SID ever goes completely bad, I don't know that there is anything on the market today to replace it with.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Have instructions for this?
    I had my LBS do it a long time ago (when I bought the bike). I need to take it back to have the fork serviced again. The service manual has the instructions to rebuild the fork (and therefore swap springs and oil). http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...ervice_I_D.pdf

My rear SID did the same thing...I had it rebuilt by Suspension Experts out of Asheville NC....its like brand new.

If that SID ever goes completely bad, I don't know that there is anything on the market today to replace it with.
    I am not too worried. The kit I bought had all of the seals to rebuild and I would like to think that I will be able to replace the bike when that time comes. Worst comes to worst, you can turn into a hardtail by having a machine shop turn a piece of aluminum to fully replace the shock.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I have a STP 200

Hi! New here. A little late with the reply. I have a stock STP 200 the only upgrades I have done is to the seat which is a Specialized, Titec bar ends, and a front derailleur. I ordered a XT it's on a close out sale right now from Art's Cyclery. Plus I have ordered new tires because the other's were looking bad. I guess shimano is only making them for SLX I didn't check Deore. I'm getting nervous about the new drive trains being 10 now. How much longer will they continue to make mega 9? I know it is a E type front derailleur. My LBS wanted me to put a direct mount on the bike. I said no. They are a pain to adjust from what I've heard.

I would like to upgrade the crank soon to a SLX, Easton handle bar and seat post, and new XT clipless pedalsnext. LX shifters are still holding up. I had a endo two weeks ago and somehow managed to bend the front derailleur. The front wheel likes to come up off the trail during steep climbs. It's a fast bike. I've had it since 2001. I would like a new full suspension bike and keep the Trek.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I have been thrashing my STP for a whole year now since I started riding again... still love it, but I really want a new bike, something a little less race orientated because I am FAR from a racer.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a friend that has started getting into cycling. He wants a road bike but he is going to give mountain biking a shot. If my budget will allow for it I would a Rocky Mountain FS Element and a Cannondale CAAD road bike. Both bikes have good components and are not considered to be race bikeslike you mentioned. I don't race just enjoying hitting the trails. I'm wanting to keep the $$$ low since I'm now looking at getting a road bike as well. I've been looking at Sette bikes online and at Price point. The price is really good but how good are the frames? Mail order makes me nervous since I can't test ride it! I was talking with some riders last night and they told me to watch out for rattlesnakes at Cedar hill State park this time of year there are some parts with a lot of rocks. I've been in Dallas 12 years now and the the only snake I've seen was a brown and green snake. Someone said something about it may have been a grass snake.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    OMG! There canNOT be two STPs running around CHSP! There can only be ONE!!!!

Honestly... I have only seen a rattler out there while I was working on the trail (and the snake isn't too keen on the noises my Echo line trimmer was making so he moved along). I have seen a single copperhead out there though while riding. Just keep it cool because the odds are good you will run into snakes out at CHSP. And rocks? There really aren't rocks at CHSP, at least not on the 3 or 8 mile loops... unless they are talking about gravel and crap. No big nasty rocks for sure.

Out of the trails around here, CHSP is home for me. I have been on LB Houston once (too long ago to remember anything) and Northshore a few times (once ended in a nasty fall in a sand trap). CHSP is just too close to haul across town... of course, I need to hit up Big Cedar because it is really close to.

As for mail ordering a bike, I can't do it. I get too much help from my LBS to mail order a whole bike.... granted I will order bits and pieces from time to time, but something about a whole bike makes me cringe.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey Knight I'm new here, and also the proud new owner of a Trek stp carbon 200.
    I was interested in getting the info on the sid dual air rear rock shok rebuild kits
    I would like to be prepared ahead of time, and purchase one from your source.
    If thats ok with you/ ?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    3pc Seal Kit for Rock Shox Sid Rear Mountain Bike Shock Upgrade Version | eBay

That is what you want to order. When you order, order 2 because there was a time period when they weren't available.
    Fat guys need bikes too.