Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Anyone have a Trek 6000 or 6500?

I am looking to buy a new hardtail, and especially at the 2007 Trek 6000 or 6500.
    I don't see any reviews for the 6000 and few for the 6500 in the "product reviews" section.

Any tidbits by owners and their 2007 Trek 6000 or 6500? Photos would be great too, as they sometimes look different than the sites' photos.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Good job!

I've had my 6000 for about a month and while I don't have any pics yet, I can tell you the pics on Trek's site are spot on. I have seen both colors of the 6000 in person, and I prefer the brushed aluminum. That's really the only thing that the pictures on the site fail to capture. They don't show the brushed appearance of the frame.

As for the bike itself, I'm very happy with it. I usually ride 3-4 times a week, and i easily have over a 100 miles on it and it still rides like the day i bought it. The frame (I have the brushed aluminum) doesn't show dirt and given that its silver it also conceals scratches pretty well. The only thing that isn't stock on my bike is the chain, which i broke after the second or third ride, but other than that there really isn't anything that i could point to as a weakness. The grips feel nice. The pedals are grippy and have so far taken a beating. The tires grip rocks pretty well, though they are noisy on the road (i don't ride the road much so doesn't bother me any). The fork lacks a bit in the way of adjustments, but it does the job and has been reliable.

To date, I only have one legit crash, and i sent the bike tumbling over sideways down the trail. The damage to the bike was all cosmetic and it consists of scratches (some deeper than others) on the downtube, chainstay, left pedal, front caliper, and the lower part of the fork. It also tore a hole on the underside of my left grip and the material on the left side of the seat is frayed a little.

Other than that I am very happy with it
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for your response!

Just a few questions about your bike so far...

What other bikes were you looking at when choosing the 6000? (I'm trying to decide between a Trek 6000 or 6500 and Spec Rockhopper Pro Disc...)

How are the RockShox Dart 1 front suspension treating you?

Do you know if Trek offer touch-up paint for scratches?

Do you know how heavy your bike is?

And lastly, any ghost shifting with the Deore derailleurs?

Do send pix!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just got this Trek 6700 Disc 2 weeks ago.

I have no complaints about the bike at all. I am a new rider so it will take time to pick things out. I looked at a 4300, and 6000. I chose to go with the 6700 because of the better componants and its an overall stronger bike for a heavy guy. Goog luck dude!

mtbr member
    I was looking at a GF Piranha, Iron Horse Maverick 5.0 and warrior, and Haro V4. The Trek wasn't even on my list, but after I saw and rode it I was really impressed. The problem I had with the others was actually finding them, I just couldn't find the models that I was looking for. My buddy has an '06 Rockhopper (non disk version), and its a nice bike. The big reason I didn't look at specialized is that everyone around here rides em, and while they are good bikes I just wanted something a little different than everyone else.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Dart 1. It's smooth and I haven't had any durability problems. It's certainly not the lightest fork though, Rockshox lists the Dart 1 at ~5 pounds.

Honestly I'm not sure if Trek offers touch up paint, so I would send them an email asking if the do. Most places online just say to check out auto part stores and look for a similar colored paint. It also wouldn't hurt to check out the servicee departments of car dealerships.

Dunno how entirely accurate it is, but my bike weighs 30 lbs on the bathroom scale. I have a 17.5" frame. Regardless of what the scale says it feels light though.

I had some ghost shifting when i first got my bike. It only happened on the trail, but it would drop out of my 2nd chainring. An adjustment to my derailleurs solved that problem. My chain broke shortly after that, but it hasn't happened since.

I'll see if I can't get some pics by this weekend.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Can't wait to see the photos...

I visited the closest Trek bike shop recently (near Irmo, SC). Believe it or not, they did not have any 2007 hardtails in, because they had "just started selling Treks".

Thanks for the input!

Tactical Wheel Man
    I have the '07 6500. Put a little over 80 miles on her so far. ZERO complaints - the bike is extremely capable - I ride mainly off-road on pretty rugged trails (roots, stumps, logs, trees, streams, mud, etc.).

'07 TREK 6500. Modifications: Race Face Diabolus O/S 50mm stem, SunRingle ZuZu pedals, SIC Livin Large 2" rise/28" wide/31.8mm bars, ODI Rogue Lock-On grips, WTB SST 2K saddle, TREK 9i Wireless computer and Harris Decals custom made "Gormont" (last name) decals for the top tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2007 Trek 6000

I purchased a Trek 6000 two months ago. I looked at Gary Fisher, Specialized and Ibex as well as Trek. I did not realize until later that Trek owns Gary Fisher. I am a big boy (220 lbs) and the stock Dart 1 on the Trek 6000 was not up to the task for a big rider like me. I was about to walk away from the bike when the bike shop (which is a great bike shop) agreed to switch out the Dart 1 for a Minute 3 SPV for no added cost. I could tell right away the new fork was much better and I bought the bike. I did some research and found out just how good the Minute 3 fork is. The combination of the Minute 3, upgraded saddle, and SPD pedals make this a great bike. I use it to commute to work a couple times a week (which is a big part of why I went for a hardtail) and take it off-road on the weekends. I have wiped out and bit the dirt a couple times on the bike off road. However, possibly because of the brushed alum. finish, the bike does not have a scratch. I can't say the same for me. I agree, the stock tires make a lot of noise on road, but they tear up the dirt.

Bottom line: With the Minute 3 forks, the bike rocks and handles my weight. If you are a smaller frame rider, the Dart 1 may work fine for you. I love the bike. It looks great and rides well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    JMB72454,
    I weigh 210 and I had the same complaint about the soft suspension with no lockout function on the 6000. As a result, I am inline to buy a 6500 (LBS not receptive to the idea of discounted fork upgrade), but I am going to test ride the Raleigh Mojave 8.0 first (seems like a remarkable deal on paper).

mtbr member
    I've got an '07 6500 (same color as Marshal Dillon's bike). I'm very happy with my bike. I've got around 50 miles on it so far (50/50 between pavement and trail riding). I'm a big guy (6'4" 250) and have no complaints.

^The lockout on the fork is a good feature for around town rides.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

6000 vs 6500

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I test rode the 6000 today- it was a great ride! There was some chain chatter, which I suspect is normal/minor.

Just a few questions:

The LBS does not have 6500s - they said it would have to be "special-ordered". Is the ride the same as the 6000, or should I find another LBS with 6500 to test ride the fit?

How often do you use lockout in the front fork? Is it that important? (Kinda like the pogo feel)
    How is the Hayes brakes in the 6500 compared to BB5?
    The brake cables are above the top tube- does this affect anything? I see on the more expensive models they are underneath the top tube.

also eyeing the 6700- decisions, decisions...

Responses are appreciated!

Sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The frame and geometry are common among the Trek 6000 Series bikes. The components improve as you move up in model number. Lock out is useful in more efficiently transferring your energy to the groudn during pedaling when climbing and/or pounding the asphalt by eliminating the bobbing that would result if the fork was not locked out. I want it and hence will not buy the 6000. Brakes will be by preference I found the Avid BB5 and Hayes Sole to be comparable with the Sole getting the slight edge. However brake maintenance with hydraulics is more involved. The cables are routed differently on different brands. It is no big deal IMO, nor does it indicate the bikes value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    Just a few questions:

The LBS does not have 6500s - they said it would have to be "special-ordered". Is the ride the same as the 6000, or should I find another LBS with 6500 to test ride the fit?

How often do you use lockout in the front fork? Is it that important? (Kinda like the pogo feel)

Responses are appreciated!

Sean
    I looked at bike shops in NH (visiting family) and in VA...neither had 6500s in stock. I rode a 6000 at the shop to get an idea how it would ride then rolled the dice and ordered a 6500. I called around...no one seems to keep them on hand (at least in my 21.5" frame size). It took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive. I was itching to pick something up quick but I'm glad I was patient and waited.

I've used the lockout around town on paved trails. You don't get the bouncy feeling that you would on a fork without the feature.
    Last edited by johnli6; 04-14-2007 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    my 2007 6000 i love it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Orange Yeti 575
    I got a Trek 6000 in December after moving to a neighborhood with many trails. I ride it about four hours per week. It's my first mountain bike so I can't really compare it to another but I have had an absolute blast on it. I had a feeling Iíd like mountain bike riding but didnít want to spend a mint on a new hobby before even trying it.

I have left it stock except for the pedals, which I replaced with clipless after about a month. My feet kept slipping off the pedals going down hill on loose rocks and I didn't have the power I needed to get back out of washes.

Getting used to the clipless pedals got me over the fear of falling which I've done about 6-8 times. I had to have the front shifter replaced after a fall but everything else has held up. I have had to tighten up the rear brake and rear derailleur but that was likely normal loosening or LBS not tightening enough when assembling.

I've got a 21" and mine weighs 35lbs with my wedge/tools on the bathroom scale. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs and it fits fiine.

Tires are noisy on the road which didn't bother me but the ringing caused by the reflector on the back wheel drove me nuts until I figured out what it was. I removed both off the wheels.

All in all, I feel like I got a good value and am having loads of fun.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Dan

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

More questions!

thanks for the responses!

Does the lock out on the higher end forks fully brace the handle bar (like a rigid), or is there some "give"?

Also has anyone seen the race yellow 6500- how does it compare to the photo? Metallic yellow, bright, etc?

(I would probably end up with that one if the yellow is decent, otherwise up to 6700 I go!)

Also, do any of the cables rub the frame and remove paint?

Aadams- did you finally decide which bike (Raleigh vs Trek)?

Sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, circumstances kinda decided for me. Raleigh/Diamondback shipped my bike to a sister store (in another city) of my LBS, and the bike was assembled and sold before we found out. I think that was the only 22 Raleigh had in black, and I am not a fan of the baby blue. The Trek 6500 or 6700 is not in stock in a 21.5 in my region and a search is underway for other regions. I have made some decisions, but unfortunately no joy for me yet.... I need to figure out what I am going to do cause this is killing me. I have managed to get my 2" class IV/V trailer hitch installed, and I ordered and received my Sportrack 4EZ from aebike.com (221.00 shipped...SWEET deal). I assembled it and put it on the truck and it looks nice. I put my wife and kids bikes on it, and it is more than up for the task. I need to order the locking kit though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Trek 6000 w/ Minute 3:00

Mountain_bike,
    You asked for some pics. Here is my two month old 2007 Trek 6000, Manitou Minute 3:00 100 mm SPV Front Fork, Shimano SPD M324 Clipless Cage Pedals, Serfas Leather/CroMoly Cosmos Saddle and Small Trek Wedge Bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Great looking bike, JMB!

I wish I could ride to work...
    Is it a big deal to you not be able to lockout the front forks?
    I have a rigid mtn bike and I want a front suspension bike for the "boing" factor- if I wanted stiff I would ride rigid.

I ask because some posters mention that they lockout when going uphill...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    mountain_bike, Minute 3:00 front forks are an upgrade and not the standard Dart 1. They have an adjustment feature that allows me to "dial" in the firmness of the fork. This allows me to basically lock out the fork if I want. This is a great feature to a great bike.

mtbr member
    IMO not having lockout isn't that big of deal. I found that I never really used when i was riding my roomate's bike. I just found it too much of a hassle to have to stop before and after every hill. Around town, might be a different story though.

Oh and, MB, one of these days i'll get some pics of my 6000, i just have to jack one of my friends' camera

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Great- I'll be on the lookout!

Why is there no category for 6000 in the product reviews???

mtbr member
    May 2007

trek 6500

after trying the 6000 and the 6500 out repeatedly i went with the 6500 because the component upgrade was to hard to pass up. if you have the money definatly go with the 6500 over all its just a better bike, whats funny is the 6000 actualy looks cooler imo with the brushed metal finish. On the other hand the ride, hydrolic breaks and the lock out front suspension sold me. The lock out on the suspension is huge if your going to ride the bike at all on pavement its worth it. Also if you can find a store with the 6500 snatch it up the bike is on back order countrywide and you will have to wait weeks to get one. GL

mtbr member

Trek 6500

Quote Originally Posted by bendesiel
    after trying the 6000 and the 6500 out repeatedly i went with the 6500 because the component upgrade was to hard to pass up. if you have the money definatly go with the 6500 over all its just a better bike, whats funny is the 6000 actualy looks cooler imo with the brushed metal finish. On the other hand the ride, hydrolic breaks and the lock out front suspension sold me. The lock out on the suspension is huge if your going to ride the bike at all on pavement its worth it. Also if you can find a store with the 6500 snatch it up the bike is on back order countrywide and you will have to wait weeks to get one. GL
    I ended up getting the 6500 as well!
    For all the reasons bendesiel outlined.

I haven't gotten to ride it much yet, but I took it for plenty of test rides before purchasing.
    The lock out shocks are TRUE lock outs.
    You throw the lever and the shocks DO NOT move.
    I can't say the same about the 6700 (yes I realize this is a higher end model).
    The shocks on the 6700 or NOT Manitou and are NOT true lock outs.

Lastly, ditto on the buy it if you can find it comment!
    I got the last 6500 at my LBS.
    The frame had a small dent in it, so I asked if they could order another one for me (and I'd wait for it).
    They checked, and the answer was "no". The "Black Chrome" is sold-out.
    Only some of the "Race-Yellow" versions were left.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jph6t
    ...They checked, and the answer was "no". The "Black Chrome" is sold-out.
    Only some of the "Race-Yellow" versions were left.
    My LBS assured me that the Black Chrome 6500s and several GF 29ers would be back in stock between late April and mid-May. I am curious as to whether the "no" from your LBS was absolute or if it was their way of saying that they won't have any for a while.

BTW The LBS consulted an internet based system called Dexter (inventory monitoring system of some sort) as well as the Trek rep before providing the info that the bikes would be back in stock soon.

Any bike shop employees have any insight on this????

Concerned....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast