Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Anyone have a Trek 6000 or 6500?

I am looking to buy a new hardtail, and especially at the 2007 Trek 6000 or 6500.
    I don't see any reviews for the 6000 and few for the 6500 in the "product reviews" section.

Any tidbits by owners and their 2007 Trek 6000 or 6500? Photos would be great too, as they sometimes look different than the sites' photos.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Good job!

I've had my 6000 for about a month and while I don't have any pics yet, I can tell you the pics on Trek's site are spot on. I have seen both colors of the 6000 in person, and I prefer the brushed aluminum. That's really the only thing that the pictures on the site fail to capture. They don't show the brushed appearance of the frame.

As for the bike itself, I'm very happy with it. I usually ride 3-4 times a week, and i easily have over a 100 miles on it and it still rides like the day i bought it. The frame (I have the brushed aluminum) doesn't show dirt and given that its silver it also conceals scratches pretty well. The only thing that isn't stock on my bike is the chain, which i broke after the second or third ride, but other than that there really isn't anything that i could point to as a weakness. The grips feel nice. The pedals are grippy and have so far taken a beating. The tires grip rocks pretty well, though they are noisy on the road (i don't ride the road much so doesn't bother me any). The fork lacks a bit in the way of adjustments, but it does the job and has been reliable.

To date, I only have one legit crash, and i sent the bike tumbling over sideways down the trail. The damage to the bike was all cosmetic and it consists of scratches (some deeper than others) on the downtube, chainstay, left pedal, front caliper, and the lower part of the fork. It also tore a hole on the underside of my left grip and the material on the left side of the seat is frayed a little.

Other than that I am very happy with it
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for your response!

Just a few questions about your bike so far...

What other bikes were you looking at when choosing the 6000? (I'm trying to decide between a Trek 6000 or 6500 and Spec Rockhopper Pro Disc...)

How are the RockShox Dart 1 front suspension treating you?

Do you know if Trek offer touch-up paint for scratches?

Do you know how heavy your bike is?

And lastly, any ghost shifting with the Deore derailleurs?

Do send pix!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just got this Trek 6700 Disc 2 weeks ago.

I have no complaints about the bike at all. I am a new rider so it will take time to pick things out. I looked at a 4300, and 6000. I chose to go with the 6700 because of the better componants and its an overall stronger bike for a heavy guy. Goog luck dude!

mtbr member
    I was looking at a GF Piranha, Iron Horse Maverick 5.0 and warrior, and Haro V4. The Trek wasn't even on my list, but after I saw and rode it I was really impressed. The problem I had with the others was actually finding them, I just couldn't find the models that I was looking for. My buddy has an '06 Rockhopper (non disk version), and its a nice bike. The big reason I didn't look at specialized is that everyone around here rides em, and while they are good bikes I just wanted something a little different than everyone else.

So far I'm pretty happy with the Dart 1. It's smooth and I haven't had any durability problems. It's certainly not the lightest fork though, Rockshox lists the Dart 1 at ~5 pounds.

Honestly I'm not sure if Trek offers touch up paint, so I would send them an email asking if the do. Most places online just say to check out auto part stores and look for a similar colored paint. It also wouldn't hurt to check out the servicee departments of car dealerships.

Dunno how entirely accurate it is, but my bike weighs 30 lbs on the bathroom scale. I have a 17.5" frame. Regardless of what the scale says it feels light though.

I had some ghost shifting when i first got my bike. It only happened on the trail, but it would drop out of my 2nd chainring. An adjustment to my derailleurs solved that problem. My chain broke shortly after that, but it hasn't happened since.

I'll see if I can't get some pics by this weekend.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Can't wait to see the photos...

I visited the closest Trek bike shop recently (near Irmo, SC). Believe it or not, they did not have any 2007 hardtails in, because they had "just started selling Treks".

Thanks for the input!

Tactical Wheel Man
    I have the '07 6500. Put a little over 80 miles on her so far. ZERO complaints - the bike is extremely capable - I ride mainly off-road on pretty rugged trails (roots, stumps, logs, trees, streams, mud, etc.).

'07 TREK 6500. Modifications: Race Face Diabolus O/S 50mm stem, SunRingle ZuZu pedals, SIC Livin Large 2" rise/28" wide/31.8mm bars, ODI Rogue Lock-On grips, WTB SST 2K saddle, TREK 9i Wireless computer and Harris Decals custom made "Gormont" (last name) decals for the top tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2007 Trek 6000

I purchased a Trek 6000 two months ago. I looked at Gary Fisher, Specialized and Ibex as well as Trek. I did not realize until later that Trek owns Gary Fisher. I am a big boy (220 lbs) and the stock Dart 1 on the Trek 6000 was not up to the task for a big rider like me. I was about to walk away from the bike when the bike shop (which is a great bike shop) agreed to switch out the Dart 1 for a Minute 3 SPV for no added cost. I could tell right away the new fork was much better and I bought the bike. I did some research and found out just how good the Minute 3 fork is. The combination of the Minute 3, upgraded saddle, and SPD pedals make this a great bike. I use it to commute to work a couple times a week (which is a big part of why I went for a hardtail) and take it off-road on the weekends. I have wiped out and bit the dirt a couple times on the bike off road. However, possibly because of the brushed alum. finish, the bike does not have a scratch. I can't say the same for me. I agree, the stock tires make a lot of noise on road, but they tear up the dirt.

Bottom line: With the Minute 3 forks, the bike rocks and handles my weight. If you are a smaller frame rider, the Dart 1 may work fine for you. I love the bike. It looks great and rides well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    JMB72454,
    I weigh 210 and I had the same complaint about the soft suspension with no lockout function on the 6000. As a result, I am inline to buy a 6500 (LBS not receptive to the idea of discounted fork upgrade), but I am going to test ride the Raleigh Mojave 8.0 first (seems like a remarkable deal on paper).

mtbr member
    I've got an '07 6500 (same color as Marshal Dillon's bike). I'm very happy with my bike. I've got around 50 miles on it so far (50/50 between pavement and trail riding). I'm a big guy (6'4" 250) and have no complaints.

^The lockout on the fork is a good feature for around town rides.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

6000 vs 6500

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I test rode the 6000 today- it was a great ride! There was some chain chatter, which I suspect is normal/minor.

Just a few questions:

The LBS does not have 6500s - they said it would have to be "special-ordered". Is the ride the same as the 6000, or should I find another LBS with 6500 to test ride the fit?

How often do you use lockout in the front fork? Is it that important? (Kinda like the pogo feel)
    How is the Hayes brakes in the 6500 compared to BB5?
    The brake cables are above the top tube- does this affect anything? I see on the more expensive models they are underneath the top tube.

also eyeing the 6700- decisions, decisions...

Responses are appreciated!

Sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The frame and geometry are common among the Trek 6000 Series bikes. The components improve as you move up in model number. Lock out is useful in more efficiently transferring your energy to the groudn during pedaling when climbing and/or pounding the asphalt by eliminating the bobbing that would result if the fork was not locked out. I want it and hence will not buy the 6000. Brakes will be by preference I found the Avid BB5 and Hayes Sole to be comparable with the Sole getting the slight edge. However brake maintenance with hydraulics is more involved. The cables are routed differently on different brands. It is no big deal IMO, nor does it indicate the bikes value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bike
    Just a few questions:

The LBS does not have 6500s - they said it would have to be "special-ordered". Is the ride the same as the 6000, or should I find another LBS with 6500 to test ride the fit?

How often do you use lockout in the front fork? Is it that important? (Kinda like the pogo feel)

Responses are appreciated!

Sean
    I looked at bike shops in NH (visiting family) and in VA...neither had 6500s in stock. I rode a 6000 at the shop to get an idea how it would ride then rolled the dice and ordered a 6500. I called around...no one seems to keep them on hand (at least in my 21.5" frame size). It took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive. I was itching to pick something up quick but I'm glad I was patient and waited.

I've used the lockout around town on paved trails. You don't get the bouncy feeling that you would on a fork without the feature.
    Last edited by johnli6; 04-14-2007 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    my 2007 6000 i love it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Orange Yeti 575
    I got a Trek 6000 in December after moving to a neighborhood with many trails. I ride it about four hours per week. It's my first mountain bike so I can't really compare it to another but I have had an absolute blast on it. I had a feeling Iíd like mountain bike riding but didnít want to spend a mint on a new hobby before even trying it.

I have left it stock except for the pedals, which I replaced with clipless after about a month. My feet kept slipping off the pedals going down hill on loose rocks and I didn't have the power I needed to get back out of washes.

Getting used to the clipless pedals got me over the fear of falling which I've done about 6-8 times. I had to have the front shifter replaced after a fall but everything else has held up. I have had to tighten up the rear brake and rear derailleur but that was likely normal loosening or LBS not tightening enough when assembling.

I've got a 21" and mine weighs 35lbs with my wedge/tools on the bathroom scale. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs and it fits fiine.

Tires are noisy on the road which didn't bother me but the ringing caused by the reflector on the back wheel drove me nuts until I figured out what it was. I removed both off the wheels.

All in all, I feel like I got a good value and am having loads of fun.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Dan

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

More questions!

thanks for the responses!

Does the lock out on the higher end forks fully brace the handle bar (like a rigid), or is there some "give"?

Also has anyone seen the race yellow 6500- how does it compare to the photo? Metallic yellow, bright, etc?

(I would probably end up with that one if the yellow is decent, otherwise up to 6700 I go!)

Also, do any of the cables rub the frame and remove paint?

Aadams- did you finally decide which bike (Raleigh vs Trek)?

Sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, circumstances kinda decided for me. Raleigh/Diamondback shipped my bike to a sister store (in another city) of my LBS, and the bike was assembled and sold before we found out. I think that was the only 22 Raleigh had in black, and I am not a fan of the baby blue. The Trek 6500 or 6700 is not in stock in a 21.5 in my region and a search is underway for other regions. I have made some decisions, but unfortunately no joy for me yet.... I need to figure out what I am going to do cause this is killing me. I have managed to get my 2" class IV/V trailer hitch installed, and I ordered and received my Sportrack 4EZ from aebike.com (221.00 shipped...SWEET deal). I assembled it and put it on the truck and it looks nice. I put my wife and kids bikes on it, and it is more than up for the task. I need to order the locking kit though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Trek 6000 w/ Minute 3:00

Mountain_bike,
    You asked for some pics. Here is my two month old 2007 Trek 6000, Manitou Minute 3:00 100 mm SPV Front Fork, Shimano SPD M324 Clipless Cage Pedals, Serfas Leather/CroMoly Cosmos Saddle and Small Trek Wedge Bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Great looking bike, JMB!

I wish I could ride to work...
    Is it a big deal to you not be able to lockout the front forks?
    I have a rigid mtn bike and I want a front suspension bike for the "boing" factor- if I wanted stiff I would ride rigid.

I ask because some posters mention that they lockout when going uphill...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    mountain_bike, Minute 3:00 front forks are an upgrade and not the standard Dart 1. They have an adjustment feature that allows me to "dial" in the firmness of the fork. This allows me to basically lock out the fork if I want. This is a great feature to a great bike.

mtbr member
    IMO not having lockout isn't that big of deal. I found that I never really used when i was riding my roomate's bike. I just found it too much of a hassle to have to stop before and after every hill. Around town, might be a different story though.

Oh and, MB, one of these days i'll get some pics of my 6000, i just have to jack one of my friends' camera

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Great- I'll be on the lookout!

Why is there no category for 6000 in the product reviews???

mtbr member
    May 2007

trek 6500

after trying the 6000 and the 6500 out repeatedly i went with the 6500 because the component upgrade was to hard to pass up. if you have the money definatly go with the 6500 over all its just a better bike, whats funny is the 6000 actualy looks cooler imo with the brushed metal finish. On the other hand the ride, hydrolic breaks and the lock out front suspension sold me. The lock out on the suspension is huge if your going to ride the bike at all on pavement its worth it. Also if you can find a store with the 6500 snatch it up the bike is on back order countrywide and you will have to wait weeks to get one. GL

mtbr member

Trek 6500

Quote Originally Posted by bendesiel
    after trying the 6000 and the 6500 out repeatedly i went with the 6500 because the component upgrade was to hard to pass up. if you have the money definatly go with the 6500 over all its just a better bike, whats funny is the 6000 actualy looks cooler imo with the brushed metal finish. On the other hand the ride, hydrolic breaks and the lock out front suspension sold me. The lock out on the suspension is huge if your going to ride the bike at all on pavement its worth it. Also if you can find a store with the 6500 snatch it up the bike is on back order countrywide and you will have to wait weeks to get one. GL
    I ended up getting the 6500 as well!
    For all the reasons bendesiel outlined.

I haven't gotten to ride it much yet, but I took it for plenty of test rides before purchasing.
    The lock out shocks are TRUE lock outs.
    You throw the lever and the shocks DO NOT move.
    I can't say the same about the 6700 (yes I realize this is a higher end model).
    The shocks on the 6700 or NOT Manitou and are NOT true lock outs.

Lastly, ditto on the buy it if you can find it comment!
    I got the last 6500 at my LBS.
    The frame had a small dent in it, so I asked if they could order another one for me (and I'd wait for it).
    They checked, and the answer was "no". The "Black Chrome" is sold-out.
    Only some of the "Race-Yellow" versions were left.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jph6t
    ...They checked, and the answer was "no". The "Black Chrome" is sold-out.
    Only some of the "Race-Yellow" versions were left.
    My LBS assured me that the Black Chrome 6500s and several GF 29ers would be back in stock between late April and mid-May. I am curious as to whether the "no" from your LBS was absolute or if it was their way of saying that they won't have any for a while.

BTW The LBS consulted an internet based system called Dexter (inventory monitoring system of some sort) as well as the Trek rep before providing the info that the bikes would be back in stock soon.

Any bike shop employees have any insight on this????

Concerned....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aadadams
    My LBS assured me that the Black Chrome 6500s and several GF 29ers would be back in stock between late April and mid-May. I am curious as to whether the "no" from your LBS was absolute or if it was their way of saying that they won't have any for a while.

Concerned....
    I wouldn't put it above my LBS to corner me into buying the bike they had on the floor, as it's not a model line they normally stock. However, I think they knew I'd walk if I wasn't satisfied, so I don't think they were lying to me. They did offer to get me the yellow version ... but I wanted the black chrome. Keep in mind, I take the largest size frame, so perhaps they will have more later in the year in a different size. Then again "late April" has already past. All I know is that I went through this last year at this time, and was unable to get the 2006 model I picked out. I didn't want to go through that again, or wait until winter for my LBS to get the 2008s. So I picked up the 6500 they had as I was pretty content with it's component set and color.

Good luck aadadams

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Heres to hope...

EDIT: I got a call from my LBS today, and he said the bikes are scheduled for delivery at his shop on Wednesday, but UPS shows them in in city already so they may land a bit early. At any rate I may be riding by the weekend....
    Last edited by aadadams; 05-05-2007 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

6000/6500 Comparision

MY LBS has neither the 6000 or 6500 in stock and im struggling to make a decision on which to order from the information on the trek website since it is not detailed and there is no side by side comparision option

They appear to both have disc brakes from what i can see. Correct?

The 6000 is my preference for the color however im getting conflicting info on the lock out forks. The dealer and the rockshox website suggests the forks do have a lockout. Can anyone confirm they do not?

===============================================
    RockShox Dart 1 w/preload, 100mm
    TurnKey Lockout (W/ Crown Adjust or PopLoc Remote)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by malik999
    MY LBS has neither the 6000 or 6500 in stock and im struggling to make a decision on which to order from the information on the trek website since it is not detailed and there is no side by side comparision option
    On the Trek website, click the "Specs" tab and you'll get the detailed info on each bike

mtbr member
    They appear to both have disc brakes from what i can see. Correct?
    Correct, they both have disc breaks.
    You can look at the pictures of the bikes on the Trek website and figure that out.

The 6000 is my preference for the color however im getting conflicting info on the lock out forks. The dealer and the rockshox website suggests the forks do have a lockout. Can anyone confirm they do not?

RockShox Dart 1 w/preload, 100mm
    TurnKey Lockout (W/ Crown Adjust or PopLoc Remote)
    The Trek website does NOT say the 6000 has lockout.

I test road the 6500 & 6700 before I bought a 2007 Trek 6500 last month.
    The 6500 was the only of these bikes that had true lockout.

Yes, that's right, the 6700 (the model above the 6500) does NOT really lockout (even though it says it does on the website). When you lockout the 6700 the play in the shocks will reduce significantly, but there was still a fair amount there. More than I wanted on the paved road for sure.

On the other hand, the Manitou on the 6500 ... when you lock that thing out ... IT DOES NOT MOVE. I took it out for it's first long 40 mile ride yesterday. It's about 3 miles to the trail. I locked the shocks ... no movement in the front fork. I got to the trail, threw the switch on the shocks without even slowing down, and got the desired play I wanted to take the edge off the bumps on the trail.

I know color preference is hard to ignore, but if you want true lockout, you'll need to go with the 6500.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well guys, not one sighting of any kind yet for me, so I am still bike-less. And, I am still playing the waiting game.

@Malik999,
    Jph6t is correct, and the fork on the 6000 does not lock out as configured on the Trek. There may be a kit that can be used to add lockout available from Rock Shox, but the move up to the 6500 makes MUCH more sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aadadams
    Well guys, not one sighting of any kind yet for me, so I am still bike-less. And, I am still playing the waiting game.
    Crossing my fingers for you aadadams. The 6500 is a sweet ride.

Orange Yeti 575

There is no lockout on the 6000

To validate the Trek Web site omission of any mention of lockout on the 6000, I own it and there is definitely no lockout on the Dart 1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How do you find it on pavements etc, if you cant lockout altogether can you reduce the travel on these forks to minimise movement when onroad?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The 6500 does have a full lockout feature and is INCREDIBLE! makes a HUGE! difference on pavement and is well worth the money, but with the 6500 you dont just get the lockout. Yes both the 6000 and 6500 have "Disc" breaks BUT the 6500 has hydrolic breaks and the 6000 are just mechanical disc breaks another huge difference. Also the 6500 has a few other big upgrades in components i.e. the crank, front derailer etc.

6500 vs 6000 Bike Color: The 6000 is very apealing to be sure when you line them up next to each other you would swear the 6000 costs more than the 6500 pretty sure they did this on purpose they almost sold me on the 6000 just for this eye candy apeal. But believe me the 6500 dominates the 6000 when it comes down to pure mountain bike goodness. The 6500 plain and simple has everything you want in a mountain bike for the money. That is besides the brushed metal frame. It is well worth the extra money imo just for the lockout forks, when you lockout the forks and take off from a dead stop as hard as you can, Then do the same with the suspension unlocked, it takes about twice the energy to get going, and you can't reach the same top speed at full gallop because your using to much energy controling the bounce, and just cant get the same down force on the pedals cuase of the suspension rocking motion.

In other words dont get sucked in by the looks if you just want something pretty to look at or show off to your friends go with the 6000 dont get me wrong its a good bike, but if you have the money the 6500 is the way to go if you want a great bike with good components a more enjoyable ride with versatility. Hope this helps of course this is just my opinion, i did compare these two bikes for some time as you can tell before i got my 6500 i test rode and stared at these two bike in my LBS for a long time getting to know the rider's and sales ppl there. Hope this info helps GL

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wow thankx for all the great advise, what happend is i tried out a lot of bikes and did choose more on brand and components than on feel which was probly a bad move i got the Trek 6500 with the hydrolic breaks I was going to get the 6000 but after seeing how much nicer the components were on the 6500 i put the money down on the it. So technicaly i can still get out of it so i think i might go to another shop and test ride some different bikes. Or i might just change the stem and seat for a different feel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Recent 6500 purchase

I just picked up my 6500 in black chrome on Saturday. I was actually a little disappointed in the black chrome color. Its really more of a metallic smoke grey. I saw a black chrome 6500 earlier in the year that I swear was more of a mirrored black like you would imagine the color would imply. Either way, nice bike. I've ridden to work twice since Saturday. I guess I really shouldn't say I'm disappointed because the color doesn't really matter too much to me, but it just doesn't look like what I remember. I'm getting old...memory not what it use to be.

Anyow, I was actually surprised how nice the yellow and black looked when I saw it at the LBS. It looks much better in person than on the website. The metallic look of both colors is a good match. Nice looking ride. I probably would have opted for the yellow/black if I would have seen it first.

By the way, that lock-out on the front fork works great. I almost got a Kona Caldera instead of the 6500, but went with the Trek because of the lock-out. I'm glad I did. It has a purpose.

Orange Yeti 575
    How do you find it on pavements etc, if you cant lockout altogether can you reduce the travel on these forks to minimise movement when onroad?
    I don't ride my 6000 on the pavement much. It is a half mile to a mile my from my garage to trailhead depending on where I start.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not meant to thread jack, but I got another call from my LBS. The eagle has landed! Bad news is: A powerful thunderstorm is overhead. I am trying to wait out the precipitation and lightning, so that I can test them out today. I must admit I am very excited.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well my potential purchase has fallen flat on its face.

Trek Bikes = No Stock.

My LBS said they have lost lots of sales due to lack of stock availability. Trekbikes needs a new sales director :/

mtbr member
    Well my potential purchase has fallen flat on its face.

Trek Bikes = No Stock.

My LBS said they have lost lots of sales due to lack of stock availability. Trekbikes needs a new sales director :/
    What do you expect, when the model year is timed to end right during the pick up of cycling season.

Probably helps with clearing out the remaining bikes from the last model year though.
    Hmmm. Funny how that works out isn't it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jph6t
    What do you expect, when the model year is timed to end right during the pick up of cycling season.

Probably helps with clearing out the remaining bikes from the last model year though.
    Hmmm. Funny how that works out isn't it?
    I didn't know this. I just phoned another LBS and they confirmed the new 6500 is due out in July and i should wait.
    As you say, what a strange time of year to do model changes

mtbr member
    I didn't know this. I just phoned another LBS and they confirmed the new 6500 is due out in July and i should wait.
    As you say, what a strange time of year to do model changes
    "Strange"? Or a sly (although crappy for all riders out there) business decision.

FYI ... while the release date of the 2008 6500 may be July 2007 ... don't necessarily expect to take delivery of one in July (especially if you aren't planning on ordering it sight unseen). I found in 2006 that my LBS didn't get the bulk of it's 2007 Treks until Oct/Nov 2006. I had to twist their arm in order to get them to bring in a 6500 (they wanted to sell me a 6000 or 6700) for me to test ride ... and that didn't come until March of 2007.

mtbr member
    May 2007

News Flash

DO NOT GET THE TREK 6500!!!!!!

Specalized Rockhopper pro is the way to go. Just tried one out last night and was litteraly sold on it ive tried many bikes in the last two months but most of the shops didnt carry a lot of specialized except for really low end models so i didnt really try them out.

But last night i went to a really nice shop with a huge selection with all the top end bikes thats been around and faimly owned since the 70's. They gave me tons of info I tried a ton of bikes and specialized made all the trek's i tried out feel like complete trash i kid you not. Also while i was there people just started to talk to me about specialized guys that were just coming in to buy tires and such and said they'd ride nothing else. Also my brother bought a 4 or 5 yr old specialized and he loves it. The rockhopper is light as anything and only about 150$ more than the 6500 also the components are WAY better including the breaks forks looks weight ride LOL everything about the bike.

I already put 500$ down on a Trek 6500 and i couldnt be happier i didnt buy one after riding a specialized i have to say Trek is a joke of a bike company. Not having bikes in stock changing lines when season starts having a heavier,uglier, bad feeling bike go with a specialized or at least look at other bikes besides Trek seriously there name is over rated, im buying my first mountain bike and this is why im learning as i go but garunteed youll be happier with another bike than Trek.

mtbr member

Re: News Flash

Why not? Based on all your experience NOT owning one?

Specalized Rockhopper pro is the way to go. Just tried one out last night and was litteraly sold on it ive tried many bikes in the last two months but most of the shops didnt carry a lot of specialized except for really low end models so i didnt really try them out.
    Congrats! Looks like you found the mountain bike you've been looking for. Buy it & start riding. I'll see you on the trail.

But last night i went to a really nice shop with a huge selection with all the top end bikes thats been around and faimly owned since the 70's. They gave me tons of info I tried a ton of bikes and specialized made all the trek's i tried out feel like complete trash i kid you not.
    Sounds more like a reason to shop at this particular LBS, than a reason NOT to get the Trek 6500. I definitely think the support offered by ones LBS can be factored into the decision of which bike to buy. But I don't see how this is an argument against the Trek 6500. I'm sure there is a Trek dealer out there just as amazing ... maybe even family owned since the 60's. (Segway ... sadly my local Trek dealer is not such a LBS)

Also while i was there people just started to talk to me about specialized guys that were just coming in to buy tires and such and said they'd ride nothing else.
    Wait a second. And you make an argument that Trek is overrated in the same post? Sounds like you ran into a bunch of Specialized disciples. There are Trek disciples just as there are Specialized disciples. Not the best analytical argument for either bike. Don't get me wrong. Specialized makes GREAT bikes. I just bought a 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple and am very happy with it. I'm just saying, I don't think the fact you ran into a bunch of people who love their LBS, and the Specialized bikes they sell is the best reason for someone across the country not to get the Trek 6500.

Also my brother bought a 4 or 5 yr old specialized and he loves it.
    Could you provide the year and model of your brother's bike? This would be handy info for those shopping for used bikes, and happen across a listing for the same ride as your brother's. However, 4 to 5 years is kind of dated info to use in evaluating a $1000+ 2007 model.

The rockhopper is light as anything and only about 150$ more than the 6500 also the components are WAY better including the breaks forks looks weight ride LOL everything about the bike.
    What unit of measure is that? How many pounds equal one "anything"?

I already put 500$ down on a Trek 6500 and i couldnt be happier i didnt buy one after riding a specialized i have to say Trek is a joke of a bike company. Not having bikes in stock changing lines when season starts having a heavier,uglier, bad feeling bike go with a specialized or at least look at other bikes besides Trek seriously there name is over rated, im buying my first mountain bike and this is why im learning as i go
    You're buying your first mountain bike and already able to completely write off Trek as a company? I agree with your frustration with Trek's distribution and sales approach (as reflected in my previous posts). But I don't know that this warrants labeling them a "joke". I just think posts like this don't help those who are coming looking for factual information in helping them make a decision. They are looking to those who already own the bike they are evaluating to share their experiences ... for an objective listing of pros and cons as related to their question.

garunteed youll be happier with another bike than Trek.
    Could you please provide specifics on the nature of your guarantee?
    Where do we contact you to use the guarantee? What supporting info, if any, do we send with our request?
    Does it take the form of a monetary reimbursement ... or only a credit that can be used in the purchase of a new bike?
    If the later, does the replacement bike have to be a Specialized?
    Last edited by jph6t; 05-16-2007 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

No good Guess what jph6t

This is not a political debate jph6t forum's are for peoples opinion. If you want more facts you dont have to write an essay simply ask without the sarcasm. I have been researching and testing bikes for months now and after test both the specialized rockhopper pro and the Trek 6500 among many many other bikes, like i stated i believe the rockhopper pro is the best bike for the money if you want specifics do your own research.

I was just giving my opinion like i stated earlier its 150$ more and you get better components a lighter frame, a better looking and better geometry. If you want prices and weights do the research like i did also go test out the bikes like i did. I rode bmx most of my life and now that im older im looking into mountain bikes, i know a lot about bikes the feel they should have and how they ride. Most of the dealers i went to were Trek dealers, and hyped Trek up. 80% of the bikes i tested where Trek's including there Gary Fisher line. What's funny is this is only the second dealer I've gone to that even sold specialized at least an extensive selection of them, and as soon as i rode one like i mentioned earlier i was extremly impressed with the specialized brand after testing there bikes that are comprable to the 6000 and 6500. Therefore after extensive testing and researching I do think that Trek is a far inferior product to Specialized. Also in addition to that I do think that for a Bike company to not have there product avalible in the begining and what looks like to be the peak of the season I do call that a joke of a company, and i am greatly dissapionted at my LBS for pushing a inferior bike like Trek. Proof is in the pudding yes the other LBS i went to hyped Specialized but it came through when i rode the bike. Im in california and they have Trek Super Stores that i have gone to were i couldnt find what i was looking for i.e the 6500. Im not saying to throw your Trek's away I just found something better that i think people should take a look at.

No matter if I give you all of the spec's here or not you need to do the research yourself Im not here to give you each bikes spec's and prices etc etc etc to the exact detail, i of course would have given you what i found if not for the sarcastic way you went about it. GL waiting for your 6500 to show up mid-summer and GL with those inclines with that heavy frame.

mtbr member

But last night i went to a really nice shop with a huge selection with all the top end bikes thats been around and faimly owned since the 70's. They gave me tons of info I tried a ton of bikes and specialized made all the trek's i tried out feel like complete trash i kid you not. Also while i was there people just started to talk to me about specialized guys that were just coming in to buy tires and such and said they'd ride nothing else. Also my brother bought a 4 or 5 yr old specialized and he loves it. The rockhopper is light as anything and only about 150$ more than the 6500 also the components are WAY better including the breaks forks looks weight ride LOL everything about the bike.

I already put 500$ down on a Trek 6500 and i couldnt be happier i didnt buy one after riding a specialized i have to say Trek is a joke of a bike company. Not having bikes in stock changing lines when season starts having a heavier,uglier, bad feeling bike go with a specialized or at least look at other bikes besides Trek seriously there name is over rated, im buying my first mountain bike and this is why im learning as i go but garunteed youll be happier with another bike than Trek.
    By no means am I flaming you at all, but I have to agree with jp. It's a good thing you found a bike that you like, and by your post you obviously do. To say that specialized bikes are better than Trek's in every way is a big stretch. Before I got my 6000 i rode my buddies Rockhopper and its a nice bike for sure, but i liked the feel and the component spec of the 6000 better. Sure I could spend a couple hundred more and a get a better equipped specialized, but that's only because I would moving be up in there product line, and the same can be said for trek. Point is, if your going to say one bike is better than another, make sure you compare bikes that are in the same price gap, and $150 moves you up in the line (specially in this price range). If I compare my 6000 to a similarly priced Rockhopper ($660), the only component better on the rockhopper is the fork.

There's only so much you can compare on paper, but the biggie is fit, and that is a subjective matter. What I find comfortable, you may not.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can understand that i guess mostly over all right now looking for a bike, im not impressed with Trek what so ever. I digress

mtbr member

Re: Guess what jph6t

This is not a political debate jph6t forum's are for peoples opinion. If you want more facts you dont have to write an essay simply ask without the sarcasm. I have been researching and testing bikes for months now and after test both the specialized rockhopper pro and the Trek 6500 among many many other bikes, like i stated i believe the rockhopper pro is the best bike for the money if you want specifics do your own research.
    I don't know what about my post was “political”. My post was in frustration to the number of posts out there (not implying the others were authored by you) that claim something is the best (or better than something else) without much, if any, explanation as to why.

In short, I DO want your opinion. But it's not so much the final decision/opinion in which I'm interested, but the main points that got you there. What were the tie breakers and/or stand-outs that put one bike over another? You may have noticed something I did not see while doing my own research and test rides.

The reason such points are of more value than opinions, besides their inherently greater educational value (think about newbies reading these threads who are trying to get into the sport), is because your needs may be different than mine. So a given point that put one bike over another for you … may be a null factor for me ... and thus result in a different end result when applied to my own needs.

I think I may have not clearly communicated what I meant by "facts". I was not referring to the specs of the bike. You are right that I, or anyone else, should be able to find them on my own. When I referred to factual information ... I meant objective criteria over subjective criteria. In other words ... the pros & cons that lead you to your ultimate opinion.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Anyone have pix of black/yellow 6500?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast