Work Hard, Play Harder

Anyone else own a TREK 6700?

I was just curious how many people on here own a 6700. I just purchased an '06 6700 a few weeks ago and I love this thing. One guy at my LBS said a weird thing to me though. I ordered the bike and it took about 3 days for my LBS to get it. I already checked out the 6500 which had the same frame so I knew the bike was a good fit. So in the meantime, I called another branch of my LBS to see if they had one in stock I could look at and check out while I wait for mine to come in. The guy on the phone checked his inventory, then said "no, sorry we don't have any in stock at the moment, I guess nobody wants to spend a grand on a hardtail". I told him "FYI, I just put one on layaway at your other location, are you saying I should cancel my order???" (which I had no intentions on doing since I really wanted this bike) And of course he was like no, no, no.......................and so on lol. I just thought that was funny. But I wanted to see if anyone else owned this bike, and what there thoughts on it were.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    Hey man it looks like no one is helping you out here so I'll give it a shot. I don't own a 6700, I have an 06 6500. Like you said, same frame. I love the bike. I have really been putting alot of miles on it lately and have no complaints. Great spec for the $. I added 520 pedals, race face stem and an easton flat bar. I don't know what it is, I just don't like riser bars very much. I just prefer a little racier stance I guess. Have fun with the new bike man!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Yes

I have recently purchased a 06' 6700 also. I think they are a little on the expensive side, but what isn't. The stock saddle is quite uncomfortable and I changed it out. My gears seem to need an adjustment as it just doesn't seem that smooth and makes a rubbing noise in certain gears. I hope it's not a problem with the Sram equipment. This is my first experience with Sram and if it doesn't get adjusted properly it will not ne a good one. Other than that I like it and hope to get a lot of use out of it.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by grog1
    I have recently purchased a 06' 6700 also. I think they are a little on the expensive side, but what isn't. The stock saddle is quite uncomfortable and I changed it out. My gears seem to need an adjustment as it just doesn't seem that smooth and makes a rubbing noise in certain gears. I hope it's not a problem with the Sram equipment. This is my first experience with Sram and if it doesn't get adjusted properly it will not ne a good one. Other than that I like it and hope to get a lot of use out of it.
    It's also my first time using the sram as well. I already busted one of my shifters lol. The plastic cover that shields the gear indicator cracked on me and fell off so they are ordering me a new shifter. Overall though I like the sram so far. The problem I'm having though is with my front derailleur. Sometimes when i'm doing a climb and I go to shift the front derailleur into the 1 gear the chain pops off. I don't know if an adjustment needs to be made, or if it's just my riding. I'm still pretty much a noob and I'm learning more and more every time I ride. I think the rubbing noise you're hearing is probably just an adjustment. I also had some rubbing noises coming from the rear but it was my disc. I had to mess around with it to get the rubbing to stop. I hear ya on the saddle I just ordered a selle one to save my a$$. Bontrager seats are terrible.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeTX04
    Hey man it looks like no one is helping you out here so I'll give it a shot. I don't own a 6700, I have an 06 6500. Like you said, same frame. I love the bike. I have really been putting alot of miles on it lately and have no complaints. Great spec for the $. I added 520 pedals, race face stem and an easton flat bar. I don't know what it is, I just don't like riser bars very much. I just prefer a little racier stance I guess. Have fun with the new bike man!
    Yeah, the 6500 is a nice bike too. I almost bought one myself, but had a lil xtra money to spend so I went for the 6700. I wanted a racier stance too. The bar on my bike sat high as hell, so I had to cut my steerer tube and took out all but one of the spacers. I added a different handlebar and now the bike is comfortable as hell for me. The stock pedals were crap so I went the same route as you and added the 520's. For the money they are great. I only paid 20 bucks for em. The guy cut me a break on alot of parts since i bought the bike there. Have fun on your new ride also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have an old '05 6500 and i like mine a lot. i went and rode one of the new '06 6500 and 6700 to see if there was any difference and i didnt like them as much as i like my old one.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by puppeteer
    I have an old '05 6500 and i like mine a lot. i went and rode one of the new '06 6500 and 6700 to see if there was any difference and i didnt like them as much as i like my old one.
    Just outta curiosity, what aspects of the 05 did ya like more than the 06?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well to be fair I have the 6500 Disc and i rode just a 6500 non disc. The things that I like about mine is that the shifting is quieter and the handlebars seem wider and up a little higher and it seems like I sat back a little further on the '05 than the '06, and of course i love that disc brakes. Thats about it, it wasnt like it it was a bad bike or anything it just wasnt as comfortable as the '05 that i have is.

mtbr member
    My girl has a 6700 WSD '06 and she loves it.
    That bike is not a bad deal for a grand.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by puppeteer
    Well to be fair I have the 6500 Disc and i rode just a 6500 non disc. The things that I like about mine is that the shifting is quieter and the handlebars seem wider and up a little higher and it seems like I sat back a little further on the '05 than the '06, and of course i love that disc brakes. Thats about it, it wasnt like it it was a bad bike or anything it just wasnt as comfortable as the '05 that i have is.
    I thought the bars on the 06 bikes were ridiculously high. When I bought my 6700 the first thing i did was take 2 spacers out and chop the steerer tube. I'm only 5'8" though so If I were a bit taller I prob would have left it as is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice25gt
    I thought the bars on the 06 bikes were ridiculously high. When I bought my 6700 the first thing i did was take 2 spacers out and chop the steerer tube. I'm only 5'8" though so If I were a bit taller I prob would have left it as is.
    i am about the same height maybe it was just the way that the one i rode was setup