mtbr member

Anybody Know Anything About the Klein Pulse II?

I picked this up yesterday at a local alternative bike shop, and wondered what you guys could tell me about it. I still need to get out the anbgle grinder to cut off the U lock that's stuck on it, and then build the frame up. Probably will do all that tomorrow. Anyway, what info do you have on this frame? Does anybody have one? How does it ride? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Really (CARSTEN)

Really, I think that it is an AWESOME frame!! It has the same tubes as the Attitude/Adroit. Except the head tube is 1 1/8 which means that you can put EVERY fork on it. It is actually very light as well.
    I am considering getting one, I am a Klein dork.

If Carsten or Thilo do not bid on it then I don't.
    Actually if the don't, then I can afford it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    Really, I think that it is an AWESOME frame!! It has the same tubes as the Attitude/Adroit. Except the head tube is 1 1/8 which means that you can put EVERY fork on it. It is actually very light as well.
    I am considering getting one, I am a Klein dork.

If Carsten or Thilo do not bid on it then I don't.
    Actually if the don't, then I can afford it.
    Thanks. It is really light. 3.35# with BB. Any idea how old it is? I was thinking about 2000ish, but I'm not that sure.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Thanks. It is really light. 3.35# with BB. Any idea how old it is? I was thinking about 2000ish, but I'm not that sure.
    It is a 1996. Good find. Looks like a medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    It is a 1996. Good find. Looks like a medium.
    Yep, it's a medium. And it was a very good find, since I got it for free. Thanks for all the info.

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    I would check to see that it's not stolen before building it up. A free frame-only with a lock stuck to it sounds rather suspicious to me, especially a nice one like a Klein.

mtbr member
    The bike isn't stolen. I know the guy who dropped it off. The bike had been sitting in his basement for years. He had a lock on on just so that he always had a lock with him. He decided to strip the parts off the frame, and donate it to the shop, and did just that. Over the years that the bike had been in his basement he lost the key to the lock. So thanks for the warning, but the bike isn't stolen.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    I still own a '98 Klein Pulse Comp. It's been put out to pasture to a life of slick-tire and toddler towing duties, but is still ready to go hit the trails if the need arises. It has same frame, but different components (or at least when the bike was completely intact) than the Pulse II. I believe the Pulse II is around '96. It probably came stock with a Rock Shox Quadra 21, or perhaps a Judy. My '98 has a Manitou Spyder with 70mm travel.

They are light and VERY stiff. This makes the bike an amazing climber with strong maneuverability. It will knock your fillings loose with its ride, even with a suspension seatpost. When I went to a dualie, the first thing I realized is how much your upper body gets pummeled on this bike.

The one thing I did discover is it makes one heck of a road bike. When you put a set of slicks on the Klein, it's scary fast. I may need to get larger chainrings for road duty as I am often outrunning the 44/11 gear combination on the bike, especially on descents.

I'm also told that they make great single speed conversions, but I can't corroborate that.

#1 Ho
    hahahahaha that look sooooo sketchy
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPauB1386
    hahahahaha that look sooooo sketchy
    Please explain.

Chocolate covered pretzel
    Thats a great frame to build on.. Thats a pre Trek Klein (internal routed cables) on the bottom bracket section, is it threaded?

good score on that one..
    any built up pics yet?

I just dropped off my frame today to get built up.. I wish I would have never sold all of my park stuff.. It feels wierd payin to have it done when I know whats what..

heres my frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    The bike isn't stolen. I know the guy who dropped it off. The bike had been sitting in his basement for years. He had a lock on on just so that he always had a lock with him. He decided to strip the parts off the frame, and donate it to the shop, and did just that. Over the years that the bike had been in his basement he lost the key to the lock. So thanks for the warning, but the bike isn't stolen.
    That looks like a funny place to be carrying around a lock while you're riding . But of course if you know the guy who dropped it off, you'll be able to get off the lock anyway, so not really a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabras
    That looks like a funny place to be carrying around a lock while you're riding . But of course if you know the guy who dropped it off, you'll be able to get off the lock anyway, so not really a problem.
    It would be on the TT when he was riding, but without a fork on the frame, in can swing around to the DT. At least that's my guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris's Klein
    on the bottom bracket section, is it threaded?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris's Klein
    any built up pics yet?
    Of course! And some acton pics too. here's the best of what I could find online. I'm not at home. I'll add more later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chocolate covered pretzel
    sweet ride. stealth factor!..

what have ya done to it?
    Minneapolis, MN