mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Any weights, reviews, impressions on 2013 Superfly 100 AL Pro?

Priced out of carbon this year and looking for a new all purpose bike. Lots of good closeouts on Niners and the like, but I am a loyalist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 2012 that I have been using as my race and trail bike. The 2013s have the new carbon swing link, CTD dampers, and new colors. Everything else is the same. My XL is 29 pounds with the heavy base model spd pedals, king hubs, ztr flow 36h wheels, and tubeless ardent 2.4 on the front and geax AKA 2.2 on the rear. I am a big dude that rides hard so I don't/can't skimp on wheels. If I could have one mountain bike it would be the superfly 100. The bike rails, does everything very well. I race short track, 25 to 30 mile xc, 40 to 100 mile endurance races, and all day trail ride epics. The bike has two weaknesses, one, the rear derailleur cable is constantly getting contaminated. I replace mine monthly...tried Gore and it lasted a bit longer but cost ten times more. Not worth it. Two, I have cracked the swing arm chain stay twice at the bridge weld. I am very particular about bike inspection and caught both cracks when they were minute hairlines. One crack happened at 500 miles, the other took another 1500 miles. Both times, it took only a few days before Trek supplied new swing arms with all new bearings. Again, I am a big, 6'6" 230 lbs and race cat1. Not many bicycles see the same abuse that mine do. The superfly is a phenomanal bike and I will buy another one if I can't get my hands on a new carbon one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am trying to decide between the SF 100 pro al and a Spec. Epic comp alloy with an upgraded wheelset. They are the same price I rode the epic and like it, I currently have an 08epic. The dealer does not have any SF 100's in stock so I have never rode this bike. I want to give the SF a shot but am afraid to buy something I can't even give a parking lot test ride. Anyone have experience on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good info. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've been racing on one since sept or aug. The xt stuff is really nice(amazing). It's been good to me so far with a podium every race. Only gripe so far is the stock tires are only good if it's bone dry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The stock tires on the 13' are listed as 29-1 Team Issue on Trek.com, they are not tubeless ready. I ripped the same tire on the 12' SF100 when I looked at them wrong...Bontrager now offers most of their 29" tires in the more rugged TLR case. I am looking to give some of the new tires a beating to see how they track and endure. I am really interested in the 29-2 2.2 TLR. Trail ride on the stock tires but do not bank a race entry fee on them.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBeliever View Post
    I've been racing on one since sept or aug. The xt stuff is really nice(amazing). It's been good to me so far with a podium every race. Only gripe so far is the stock tires are only good if it's bone dry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFCuddy View Post
    The stock tires on the 13' are listed as 29-1 Team Issue on Trek.com, they are not tubeless ready. I ripped the same tire on the 12' SF100 when I looked at them wrong...Bontrager now offers most of their 29" tires in the more rugged TLR case. I am looking to give some of the new tires a beating to see how they track and endure. I am really interested in the 29-2 2.2 TLR. Trail ride on the stock tires but do not bank a race entry fee on them.
    Ha, that's what I switched the stock tires for, I run them low (17/19) and they work well for my applications. I have no complaints so far with the 29-2 tlr team tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just put a deposit down on this bike and can't wait to get it next week. The first thing I want to do is make the switch over to tubeless so will be asking the shop to do that for me before I pick it up. I just need to decide on a tire.

It will be my first new bike in many years and first tubeless setup. I haven't done a lot of racing and don't know if I will be getting back into it with the new bike or not.

I am looking for any recommendations for tires to replace the Bontrager 29-1 Team items that the bike normally comes with. You guys sound very happy with the Bontrager 29-2 2.2 TLR team issues. With that knowledge would that be the one you would recommend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Depends on you conditions/trails.

mtbr member
    I am in the process of buying this bike. I have to sell my Fuel EX8 first but I have had the opportunity to ride the demo we have at our shop and let me tell you it is FAST! The 2x10 XT drivetrain is really great, doesn't skip a beat and the new CTD suspension is really nice too. You don't really need to take it out of trail all that much, its a nice balance between efficiency and plushness.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you enjoy the bike as much as I know I am going to once I get mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBeliever View Post
    Depends on you conditions/trails.
    Yep, that's true. I live in Florida, local trails are mostly hard packed sand, some sugar sand, a lot of scrub palm roots and logs. Popular areas in FL I frequent are Santos, Alafia, they are mostly hard packed dirt and small rock sections. Tsali up in NC, gets muddy there, I hate the mud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm also in the market for this bike. Its seems like the deal in the SF 100 lineup. XT is really reliable as a whole, everybody says the brakes rock, the forks/shock have good tunability and you get a pretty decent fitment kit which will be ok to ride about on until you feel the need to upgrade (if at all).
    I very briefly rode the carbon version from last year's lineup and despite being wrongly setup for me it felt great. I have to say that I also have the hardtail in carbon, so the transition to dually felt very similar to the hardtail in trail feel.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-N-Black View Post
    Yep, that's true. I live in Florida, local trails are mostly hard packed sand, some sugar sand, a lot of scrub palm roots and logs. Popular areas in FL I frequent are Santos, Alafia, they are mostly hard packed dirt and small rock sections. Tsali up in NC, gets muddy there, I hate the mud.
    Good alternative for the Bontrager Tires are Michelin Wild`racers. Loved them on my 26" bike for years. Last summer got them on my Sugar 29er, great fast rolling tires on hard packed dirt en dry surfaces. Will be my first change I make on my Superfly once it finaly gets delivered.
    Also tried the 29-2 TLR on my bike, didnīt got a lot of miles on them. Punctured the bike on some rocks. Liked the tires, but, at least here in the Netherlands, the Michelins are quite a bit cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've had my new 100 Pro out about 8 times now. Coming off my Fuel 90 that I had down to 26.5lbs with stans tubeless tires, xxx bars and stem, it's alittle heavier but not much. I weighed my 21" SF100 in at 28.5 with tubes and XT pedals. The CTD suspension is really nice and the XT group is flawless. Best brakes I've ridden, quiet and stop on a dime. I've been slightly slower or about even on pretty flat trails, but I did improve on a really technical trail where the 29er really shines. It does have alittle more pedal bob then my Fuel did but you can swap the suspension into climb mode and it's solid. I also cut down the stock bars 40mm due to being use to the xxx 580mm width, the new ones felt horrible at 675mm. They feel like a good comprimise now.

You won't be dissapointed, I would buy one again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey there I'm from Holland and bought a Superfly 100SL carbon, the rear brake pads were gone after 150 km ! and I found out that the caliper outlining was not ok because
    the mounts on the swing arm were not OK !! anybody who knows about this problem ?

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi, also from Holland, I've done only 50km on my SF100 SL (elite).

I will have a close look at mine this weekend, need to reset the gears as my LBS have not properly set them up. Also going tubeless this weekend. But I will check my rear brakes as well. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary while riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It would be a good idea to start a new thread for this topic. Can you provide us with more detail about what exactly happened? The post mounts on the swing-arm stripped, cracked, or broke off? Can you post pics to show what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Sjakie View Post
    Hey there I'm from Holland and bought a Superfly 100SL carbon, the rear brake pads were gone after 150 km ! and I found out that the caliper outlining was not ok because
    the mounts on the swing arm were not OK !! anybody who knows about this problem ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am now in contact with Trek Europe to find a proper solution so I have to wait whats next before I come with more details, was just searching for info. Think it will be correct to give Trek the chance to arrange a proper solution.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Superfly Pro v. Epic

I test rode both and preferred the cockpit and the response of the SF. However, now I'm intrigued by the Anthem (and the Trance x1). In looking for the "all around" bike that fits my riding, I've narrowed it down to these three even though I haven't ridden the Giant pair--they just get great press. I rode a Rumblefish, Stumpy FSR and a Fuel7...just like the XC SF as it most closely had the HT responsiveness that I like. I can also get a '13 SF Pro (closeout) for $2700--rockin'! Gotta pull the trigger soon though so a parking lot tour may be all I can get--it's 3 deg. outside now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bg77 View Post
    I am trying to decide between the SF 100 pro al and a Spec. Epic comp alloy with an upgraded wheelset. They are the same price I rode the epic and like it, I currently have an 08epic. The dealer does not have any SF 100's in stock so I have never rode this bike. I want to give the SF a shot but am afraid to buy something I can't even give a parking lot test ride. Anyone have experience on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Superfly al 100 Pro v. Giant Anthem X-1

I can get the SF Pro for $2600 or the Anthem for $2500---yikes! Both incredible deals...I rode the Anthem yesterday and really liked it. I rode the SF a couple of months ago but LBS is out of stock right now so I won't be able to do an immediate comparison. I remember liking the immediate "HT" feel of the SF...just more responsive than the all-mountains I rode (Fuel, Rumblefish, Stumpy FSR) but a little bit stiffer. I'm torn, I know the Anthem is VERY highly rated but I wanted to get your take if you're willing to share. Let me know, I need to pull the trigger soon.

Much Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vcnlite View Post
    I've had my new 100 Pro out about 8 times now. Coming off my Fuel 90 that I had down to 26.5lbs with stans tubeless tires, xxx bars and stem, it's alittle heavier but not much. I weighed my 21" SF100 in at 28.5 with tubes and XT pedals. The CTD suspension is really nice and the XT group is flawless. Best brakes I've ridden, quiet and stop on a dime. I've been slightly slower or about even on pretty flat trails, but I did improve on a really technical trail where the 29er really shines. It does have alittle more pedal bob then my Fuel did but you can swap the suspension into climb mode and it's solid. I also cut down the stock bars 40mm due to being use to the xxx 580mm width, the new ones felt horrible at 675mm. They feel like a good comprimise now.

You won't be dissapointed, I would buy one again.