mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Any news/rumors on a carbon Remedy 29er?

I'm itching to pull the trigger on a Remedy 29er to upgrade my 26er. I LOVED the bike when I rented it in Moab, but the aluminum frame is too heavy for me coming from the 26er 9.9.

Any news/rumors/ideas for when the carbon version might be here?

-Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I had a 2011 Remedy 9.9 (26er) for 2 years. IMHO, the Remedy 29 is much more capable. A bit less flickable, but more capable down super steep chunky gnar.

I have a Remedy 8 29er, that i have converted to 1x10 and put some carbon wheels on it. That helps but there's no getting around the fact that the frame is a bit heavy-- that said, its ridiculously capable-- 10 days of lift access Dh for me on it, and 3 two day enduro events.

I think only if Trek sells many of the alum ones will they consider a carbon version. There's never been a carbon slash, so there may not be a carbon remedy 29 in near future. BTW, I consider the Remedy 29 to be more closely aligned with Slash capabilities... and these are pretty niche bikes in a lot of ways. I once read that the Fuel EX outsells remedy's 10 to 1, and I bet its even lower for Slash...

Heather & JHK will be on carbon remedy 650b, I think they like the lightest bike possible. Justin Leov and Tracey Moseley and sometimes Rene Wildhaber (in Oct) raced on Remedy 29 for the 2013 year. If Justin and Tracy & Rene continue to race the Remedy 29 next year, I'd bet a carbon version may be in the works? But if those top pros chose a Remedy 27.5 or Slash 27.5 then I doubt Trek would extend resources to make a carbon remedy 29.

mtbr member
    I am sure if the sales of the Alu have been as good as they hoped, a carbon will be out next model year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea, the bike seems great for the kind of riding I like and for enduro racing. Just too heavy right now.

JHK said he rides the 27.5 because it's more flickable, fun, and lighter. I think the 29 is more capable and could be faster, and do that speed more easily if it was carbon.

I totally agree with you, that if the TWR team stays on the 29 platform, we'll see the carbon soon. Otherwise, if they convert to 27.5, then meh.

-Tom