mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Any 2018 Trek Top Fuel news?

With Sea Otter close, and new models a few months away. Anyone know anything? I have a 2016, which was SRAM'd up, and 2017 went to Fox more or less, just curious what might be in store.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Also very curious.

Would like to see a "BC" option like Rocky Mountain's Element, offering a slightly more rugged build and a 120 mm Fox 34 fork.

Or I'll just do that myself, next season!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Also very curious.

Would like to see a "BC" option like Rocky Mountain's Element, offering a slightly more rugged build and a 120 mm Fox 34 fork.

Sounds like our 2016 Trek Fuel EX Carbon builds!!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Also very curious.

They could just put the 2016 Fuel EX mold back into use...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I could see a 120mm Fork on the TF for 2018. Niner did it with the 2017 RKT 9 RDO mid 2017 year build.

I would like them to make the actual bike feel like the size you get.
    I ride a 19.5" in Trek's. Test riding a TF 19.5 felt like a 18.5. Never felt right to me. Main reason I never bought one.

I would like to see some more build options like the Fuel line. P1 colors or Trek revamp their P1 build options. I hate not being able to fine tune a P1 build on their site.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The sizing is confusing. I'm 5'9" and ride a 17.5. Normally too small for me. But fits fine. The sales guy tried to explain their sizing to me, but I still don't get it. I almost wish they'd just go SM, MED, LG, XL or something and leave the inches out.

I was bummed when I say 17 models adding carbon post, cranks, wheels. As those were going to be upgrades to me. But then I thought about it, and realized I like what I have. The DT wheels weight the same or slightly less than the carbon wheels, I'd rather have Next SL than the sram carbons, and I like aluminum posts anyway. So all in, I'm thinking they just keep the 17's the same, with maybe a better fox lockout or something.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'am also very curious about the update. I'am at the point where I want to buy a more technical capable bike (Currently have a 2012 Cannondale scalpel). But the Top fuel this year just does not seems like the right option for me. Considering the Fuel Ex. But if I buy a Fuel EX now and they bring out a new more capable Top Fuel later this year I might regret my decision... I also can't wait...

Trek have done major updates to the Fuel Ex in 16 and 17. And no major updates to the top fuel for 2 years. So I do expect an update...

mtbr member
    I have no knowledge of the industry to back this answer up, but I would think it's in the realm of possibility to see a major change to the top fuel for 18, but I doubt it will be of any more trail-capability. IMO Trek should stick with keeping the top fuel a race specific bike. Otherwise they'd risk not being able to fill the niche and lose the market share.

At some point, one of these major companies are going to have to hit the breaks on the current narrative that all bikes need a 45 degree head angle and a 10mm stem, and continue to refine what specific areas of the sport or requiring. In this case, the top fuel I believe is utilized by those who race competitively and those who desire a short travel and super efficient, and aggressive posture bike. Trek would be foolish to make a drastic change and lose customers to other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    I don't think a 68.5-69 HTA in the high position is going drive any customers away. I think it would bring more in. The new Spark RC is an all-out 100mm FS with that geometry and has been sold out for months.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Since it's all just wishing and fishing at this point, I'd buy this version of the Top Fuel immediately:

110 mm in the back.

120 34 mm fork in the front.

Fox IRD lockouts.

That's just me, from an endurance racing perspective. 99mikegt makes some solid points above about Trek not deserting the real market for this bike.

Although, it sure seems to me like there is a pretty big hole in the lineup between the TF and the current FEX.

mtbr member
    Some really good points Kosmo, Le Duke and 99mikegt

I see a redo of the model for 18, It kind of needs to happen

When they changed the Fuel for 17 they kind of left a hole in the XC/Trail area I feel.
    The 2016 Fuel filled that hole.

The RKT 9 I had was a "Rocket" fast and very efficient with pedaling. Climbed fast and decent fast. even at 100/90 travel. It handed a lot of big hits.

TF at 120/100 would be very fun,.
    One of the fastest MTB riders here does 80mm travel on his Scott and is a damn rocket on the trail.

I'm hoping the changes are a Plus for us. I would like a matching colored TF to go next to my Procal 9.9 SL
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    They could just put the 2016 Fuel EX mold back into use...

They never stopped using it. They just replaced the BB shell part to make it 121mm wide.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    They never stopped using it. They just replaced the BB shell part to make it 121mm wide.
    Ah. Yes. The Farley. Damn good looking bike. The 2016 Fuel EX is the "one bike" solution I'd buy if they made it again. Such a perfect bike.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The 2016 Fuel EX is the "one bike" solution I'd buy if they made it again. Such a perfect bike.
    So true, but this will be Year Two on mine, so I'm already wondering about next year....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think that with the way they have gone to 29ers in the small Fuel EX and Slash a small 29er Top Fuel might be coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    I think that with the way they have gone to 29ers in the small Fuel EX and Slash a small 29er Top Fuel might be coming.

Trek's fitment and beliefs kind of say no. They feel that small of a bike needs a 27.5
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Trek's fitment and beliefs kind of say no. They feel that small of a bike needs a 27.5
    Thats what they used to say but the new Slash and Fuel EX go to size small in 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Check this out https://en.ciclimattio.com/s/trek/fu...=19298&m=29852 This is the EX not TF, but still.....
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member

Any 2018 Trek Top Fuel news?

Weird. All coming with xr2 tires too. Hopefully a new design with the xr1 sidewall. Able to run quite lower psi on the xr1s.

The no 9 is weird. I could see it with gx eagle and the duster elite wheels.

Wasnt going to put gx eagle on my 17 tf9 as i thought it would be a down grade from x1 but hell, if the 9.8s all run it.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I guess these aren't all models

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    The no 9 is weird. I could see it with gx eagle and the duster elite wheels.
    Are the Duster Elite an upgrade from the '17 Mustang Elite ? I saw they are a bit heavier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by StaxB21 View Post
    I guess these aren't all models
    I went to my local Trek store yesterday, that's all they have on their internal website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Weird. All coming with xr2 tires too. Hopefully a new design with the xr1 sidewall. Able to run quite lower psi on the xr1s.

The XR2 Team Issues are the best XC tires that Bontrager makes. They are also better across more conditions. XR1s are good in dry conditions but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post
    The XR2 Team Issues are the best XC tires that Bontrager makes. They are also better across more conditions. XR1s are good in dry conditions but that's about it.
    Friend of mine runs both and he races. He has to run more psi in the xr2 than the 1. He also can feel the slowness of the xr2 over the 1. Our grounds like concrete here 90% only way i would run a xr2 is as a front

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaktusss View Post
    Are the Duster Elite an upgrade from the '17 Mustang Elite ? I saw they are a bit heavier.
    The hub is, its the new rapid drive, its either a 6 pawl or able to upgrade to a 6. That 3 pawl in the mustangs is a joke. Same as my farley had and i blew it 2 times in one season and stuck it another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The hub is, its the new rapid drive, its either a 6 pawl or able to upgrade to a 6. That 3 pawl in the mustangs is a joke. Same as my farley had and i blew it 2 times in one season and stuck it another.
    Dusters are not/will not be rapid drive. It is a 3 pawl hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    Dusters are not/will not be rapid drive. It is a 3 pawl hub.
    Are they the 3 pawl ones that you can add 3 more tho to make them a rapid drive?

mtbr member
    Are they the 3 pawl ones that you can add 3 more tho to make them a rapid drive?

This is from the 9.7, unless its a mis type....

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Top Fuel 9.8sl price?. I'm from Finland and we don't have that info yet so i was wondering is it going to be more or less than last year model. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

This is from the 9.7, unless its a mis type....
    Pretty sure it is wrong.

mtbr member
    Most of the new bikes in the 2-3K $ range look like they have about a $50 increase.
    I wanna ride!