Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    556

    Any 2018 Trek Top Fuel news?

    With Sea Otter close, and new models a few months away. Anyone know anything? I have a 2016, which was SRAM'd up, and 2017 went to Fox more or less, just curious what might be in store.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,922
    Also very curious.

    Would like to see a "BC" option like Rocky Mountain's Element, offering a slightly more rugged build and a 120 mm Fox 34 fork.

    Or I'll just do that myself, next season!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Also very curious.

    Would like to see a "BC" option like Rocky Mountain's Element, offering a slightly more rugged build and a 120 mm Fox 34 fork.

    Or I'll just do that myself, next season!
    Sounds like our 2016 Trek Fuel EX Carbon builds!!

  4. #4
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,039
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Also very curious.

    Would like to see a "BC" option like Rocky Mountain's Element, offering a slightly more rugged build and a 120 mm Fox 34 fork.

    Or I'll just do that myself, next season!
    They could just put the 2016 Fuel EX mold back into use...

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    I could see a 120mm Fork on the TF for 2018. Niner did it with the 2017 RKT 9 RDO mid 2017 year build.

    I would like them to make the actual bike feel like the size you get.
    I ride a 19.5" in Trek's. Test riding a TF 19.5 felt like a 18.5. Never felt right to me. Main reason I never bought one.

    I would like to see some more build options like the Fuel line. P1 colors or Trek revamp their P1 build options. I hate not being able to fine tune a P1 build on their site.
    Too Many .

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    556
    The sizing is confusing. I'm 5'9" and ride a 17.5. Normally too small for me. But fits fine. The sales guy tried to explain their sizing to me, but I still don't get it. I almost wish they'd just go SM, MED, LG, XL or something and leave the inches out.

    I was bummed when I say 17 models adding carbon post, cranks, wheels. As those were going to be upgrades to me. But then I thought about it, and realized I like what I have. The DT wheels weight the same or slightly less than the carbon wheels, I'd rather have Next SL than the sram carbons, and I like aluminum posts anyway. So all in, I'm thinking they just keep the 17's the same, with maybe a better fox lockout or something.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59
    I'am also very curious about the update. I'am at the point where I want to buy a more technical capable bike (Currently have a 2012 Cannondale scalpel). But the Top fuel this year just does not seems like the right option for me. Considering the Fuel Ex. But if I buy a Fuel EX now and they bring out a new more capable Top Fuel later this year I might regret my decision... I also can't wait...

    Trek have done major updates to the Fuel Ex in 16 and 17. And no major updates to the top fuel for 2 years. So I do expect an update...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 99mikegt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    437
    I have no knowledge of the industry to back this answer up, but I would think it's in the realm of possibility to see a major change to the top fuel for 18, but I doubt it will be of any more trail-capability. IMO Trek should stick with keeping the top fuel a race specific bike. Otherwise they'd risk not being able to fill the niche and lose the market share.

    At some point, one of these major companies are going to have to hit the breaks on the current narrative that all bikes need a 45 degree head angle and a 10mm stem, and continue to refine what specific areas of the sport or requiring. In this case, the top fuel I believe is utilized by those who race competitively and those who desire a short travel and super efficient, and aggressive posture bike. Trek would be foolish to make a drastic change and lose customers to other brands.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,039
    I don't think a 68.5-69 HTA in the high position is going drive any customers away. I think it would bring more in. The new Spark RC is an all-out 100mm FS with that geometry and has been sold out for months.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,922
    Since it's all just wishing and fishing at this point, I'd buy this version of the Top Fuel immediately:

    110 mm in the back.

    120 34 mm fork in the front.

    Fox IRD lockouts.

    That's just me, from an endurance racing perspective. 99mikegt makes some solid points above about Trek not deserting the real market for this bike.

    Although, it sure seems to me like there is a pretty big hole in the lineup between the TF and the current FEX.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    Some really good points Kosmo, Le Duke and 99mikegt

    I see a redo of the model for 18, It kind of needs to happen

    When they changed the Fuel for 17 they kind of left a hole in the XC/Trail area I feel.
    The 2016 Fuel filled that hole.

    The RKT 9 I had was a "Rocket" fast and very efficient with pedaling. Climbed fast and decent fast. even at 100/90 travel. It handed a lot of big hits.

    TF at 120/100 would be very fun,.
    One of the fastest MTB riders here does 80mm travel on his Scott and is a damn rocket on the trail.

    I'm hoping the changes are a Plus for us. I would like a matching colored TF to go next to my Procal 9.9 SL
    Too Many .

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    They could just put the 2016 Fuel EX mold back into use...

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    They never stopped using it. They just replaced the BB shell part to make it 121mm wide.

  13. #13
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    They never stopped using it. They just replaced the BB shell part to make it 121mm wide.
    Ah. Yes. The Farley. Damn good looking bike. The 2016 Fuel EX is the "one bike" solution I'd buy if they made it again. Such a perfect bike.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The 2016 Fuel EX is the "one bike" solution I'd buy if they made it again. Such a perfect bike.
    So true, but this will be Year Two on mine, so I'm already wondering about next year....
    Whining is not a strategy.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    155
    I think that with the way they have gone to 29ers in the small Fuel EX and Slash a small 29er Top Fuel might be coming.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    I think that with the way they have gone to 29ers in the small Fuel EX and Slash a small 29er Top Fuel might be coming.

    Trek's fitment and beliefs kind of say no. They feel that small of a bike needs a 27.5
    Too Many .

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Trek's fitment and beliefs kind of say no. They feel that small of a bike needs a 27.5
    Thats what they used to say but the new Slash and Fuel EX go to size small in 29 inch wheels.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: centershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    327
    Check this out https://en.ciclimattio.com/s/trek/fu...=19298&m=29852 This is the EX not TF, but still.....
    I wanna ride!

  19. #19

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,043

    Any 2018 Trek Top Fuel news?

    Weird. All coming with xr2 tires too. Hopefully a new design with the xr1 sidewall. Able to run quite lower psi on the xr1s.

    The no 9 is weird. I could see it with gx eagle and the duster elite wheels.


    Wasnt going to put gx eagle on my 17 tf9 as i thought it would be a down grade from x1 but hell, if the 9.8s all run it.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    50
    I guess these aren't all models

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    The no 9 is weird. I could see it with gx eagle and the duster elite wheels.
    Are the Duster Elite an upgrade from the '17 Mustang Elite ? I saw they are a bit heavier.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by StaxB21 View Post
    I guess these aren't all models
    I went to my local Trek store yesterday, that's all they have on their internal website.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Weird. All coming with xr2 tires too. Hopefully a new design with the xr1 sidewall. Able to run quite lower psi on the xr1s.

    The XR2 Team Issues are the best XC tires that Bontrager makes. They are also better across more conditions. XR1s are good in dry conditions but that's about it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post
    The XR2 Team Issues are the best XC tires that Bontrager makes. They are also better across more conditions. XR1s are good in dry conditions but that's about it.
    Friend of mine runs both and he races. He has to run more psi in the xr2 than the 1. He also can feel the slowness of the xr2 over the 1. Our grounds like concrete here 90% only way i would run a xr2 is as a front
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by kaktusss View Post
    Are the Duster Elite an upgrade from the '17 Mustang Elite ? I saw they are a bit heavier.
    The hub is, its the new rapid drive, its either a 6 pawl or able to upgrade to a 6. That 3 pawl in the mustangs is a joke. Same as my farley had and i blew it 2 times in one season and stuck it another.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    The hub is, its the new rapid drive, its either a 6 pawl or able to upgrade to a 6. That 3 pawl in the mustangs is a joke. Same as my farley had and i blew it 2 times in one season and stuck it another.
    Dusters are not/will not be rapid drive. It is a 3 pawl hub.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    Dusters are not/will not be rapid drive. It is a 3 pawl hub.
    Are they the 3 pawl ones that you can add 3 more tho to make them a rapid drive?
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Are they the 3 pawl ones that you can add 3 more tho to make them a rapid drive?


    This is from the 9.7, unless its a mis type....
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3
    Top Fuel 9.8sl price?. I'm from Finland and we don't have that info yet so i was wondering is it going to be more or less than last year model. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post


    This is from the 9.7, unless its a mis type....
    Pretty sure it is wrong.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: centershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    327
    Most of the new bikes in the 2-3K $ range look like they have about a $50 increase.
    I wanna ride!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2
    You had me going for a bit there. Price on 2017 9.8 is $5200. Your link shows 2018 price $6500. Now that would be an upgrade ?! Upon closer inspection I figured out that the $6500 is Australian. You gotta stay sharp on these multinational sites! 😬

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Critster View Post
    You had me going for a bit there. Price on 2017 9.8 is $5200. Your link shows 2018 price $6500. Now that would be an upgrade ?! Upon closer inspection I figured out that the $6500 is Australian. You gotta stay sharp on these multinational sites! 
    The 2017 Top Fuel 9.9RSL was 8,999.00. Based on what I saw while at my dealer the 2018 is an identical build for 8,499.00. Not sure if the 9.8 got a drop as well.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    From what I have seen the 2018 9.8 model bikes are about 500 less than the 2017 same 9.8

    Like the Slash, the 9.8 is the top of the line one now. No 9.9 and it's 5500
    The Remedy 9.8 is 5000 compared to the 2017 9.8 is 5500
    Too Many .

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,922
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    From what I have seen the 2018 9.8 model bikes are about 500 less than the 2017 same 9.8

    Like the Slash, the 9.8 is the top of the line one now. No 9.9 and it's 5500
    The Remedy 9.8 is 5000 compared to the 2017 9.8 is 5500
    Seems odd that there is no 9.9 Top Fuel -- a racy bike, for sure -- but there IS a 9.9 Fuel EX -- more of a trail bike.

    Makes me wonder if more models are coming?

    Or is a 9.9 level bike becoming something attainable only through Project 1?
    Whining is not a strategy.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    From what I have seen the 2018 9.8 model bikes are about 500 less than the 2017 same 9.8

    Like the Slash, the 9.8 is the top of the line one now. No 9.9 and it's 5500
    The Remedy 9.8 is 5000 compared to the 2017 9.8 is 5500
    I just turned my '18 Slash 9.8 into a 9.9 with carbon wheels, XX1 Eagle, Push coil kit, X2 and much more, I got tired of waiting for the higher models. Trust me, there is a full carbon top end Slash coming, I know this for a fact. I may have missed the release date but I guarantee by late Sept a high end Slash and a couple other new Trek bikes will be released.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhls View Post
    I just turned my '18 Slash 9.8 into a 9.9 with carbon wheels, XX1 Eagle, Push coil kit, X2 and much more, I got tired of waiting for the higher models. Trust me, there is a full carbon top end Slash coming, I know this for a fact. I may have missed the release date but I guarantee by late Sept a high end Slash and a couple other new Trek bikes will be released.
    Per the Trek rep. No slash 9.9 or Remedy 9.9
    Too Many .

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Per the Trek rep. No slash 9.9 or Remedy 9.9
    Per J.C. at Trek HQ, it's coming.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhls View Post
    Per J.C. at Trek HQ, it's coming.
    It's not.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    It's not.
    Well sweet, I've got my own already then anyway.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Seems odd that there is no 9.9 Top Fuel -- a racy bike, for sure -- but there IS a 9.9 Fuel EX -- more of a trail bike.

    Makes me wonder if more models are coming?

    Or is a 9.9 level bike becoming something attainable only through Project 1?
    They have done it before. They had a pro 9.9 for a few years then elite 9.8 as well then 9.8 was the highest
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    43
    I was at Treks Nordic dealer show yesterday. Prices are the same on the Top Fuels. There is a 9.9. Here is the 9.9 Project one in front of the womens 9.8 and in the back is the 9.8.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    From what I have seen the 2018 9.8 model bikes are about 500 less than the 2017 same 9.8

    Like the Slash, the 9.8 is the top of the line one now. No 9.9 and it's 5500
    The Remedy 9.8 is 5000 compared to the 2017 9.8 is 5500
    This isn't true. there is a 2018 top fuel 9.9 RSL. My dealer can order for me today...$8499.00 USD list.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly View Post
    This isn't true. there is a 2018 top fuel 9.9 RSL. My dealer can order for me today...$8499.00 USD list.
    Per the conversation I had with Trek yesterday the 9.8 is the highest Slash. And. It Trek as in my LBS

    But everyone is just assuming till they fully release the models which Trek said should be within the next week

    Just cause they make a top fuel 9.9 doesn't mean they are gonna make a slash 9.9


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Too Many .

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Per the conversation I had with Trek yesterday the 9.8 is the highest Slash. And. It Trek as in my LBS

    But everyone is just assuming till they fully release the models which Trek said should be within the next week

    Just cause they make a top fuel 9.9 doesn't mean they are gonna make a slash 9.9


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brent,
    I never said anything about the Stash. your original statement said no Top Fuel 9.9 which lead other posters to assume that was the case. In fact you statement said like the Stash no 9.9 Top fuel if you read it again.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly View Post
    Brent,
    I never said anything about the Stash. your original statement said no Top Fuel 9.9 which lead other posters to assume that was the case. In fact you statement said like the Stash no 9.9 Top fuel if you read it again.
    My post was referring to the cost of models of 2017 vs 2018.

    I can see where there can be a misunderstanding


    A lot of people I know are waiting for trek to release the bikes and frames lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Too Many .

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Deep Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    454

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Was just getting ready to post that

    Full line of bikes are up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Too Many .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2017, 09:01 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2015, 09:28 AM
  3. Trek Fuel Ex 8 vs. Fuji reveal 2.0 vs. Trek Fuel Ex 6
    By WilliamM10 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 06:19 AM
  4. 2011 Trek Fuel EX5 or 2008 Trek Fuel EX9
    By tavorh1 in forum Trek
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM
  5. 2010 Trek Top Fuel 8 vs 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    By David S - Sydney in forum Trek
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Members who have read this thread: 291

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •