Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any 07 Gary Fisher owners yet?

7K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  HiFi Jim 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a bike around 2k and went to ckeck out the Treks and GF's today. My favorite bike that I rode was the new GF hi-fi deluxe. It had better components than the Trek for the same prize range and fit me nicely. Does anyone own this bike yet? I'm comparing it to the 07 Specialized Comp, and the Cannondale Rush 800. The GF felt the lightest and I was told it weighs 27lbs with everything.

#2 ·
I just purchase and took the first ride on my HiFi Deluxe. There are no complaints here so far. I did some research before I purchased and my buddy that was going through the specialized reviews showed nothing but problems. I want to say the pivots, the chain stay.... It wasn't good. The cannondale I can't comment on since I didn't look at it much. The HiFi is extremely lite for what it is. Lighter than the blur i believe!

#3 ·
My '06 Cake 2 DLX was 27 lbs ready to ride right off the shelf at the LBS. The HiFi is even lighter than the Cake (granted, not by a lot, but it is lighter). I haven't seen one IRL yet, but from what I've seen on the net, it looks like the HiFi's have been pushed a little more towards XC (where the Cakes, esp. the DLX's, had a little more trail/AM flavor).

There are two things of note that stick out regarding the HiFi's: one, the G2 geometry should improve the slow speed abilities over my Cake (which for a guy my size is less of an issue, but for some riders can be a real pain). Second, there are only a limited number of forks available with the additional offset required for the G2 geometry...if you want to upgrade in the future, this may pose a potential problem and impact the handling characteristics of the bike. I can't say how much of a change it could have, but it will have an effect.

#4 ·
Rode a HIFI last night

I rode a Hifi last night and it climbed great, accelerated great, went down well. Biggest complaints, other than the grips which absolutely SUCK and make you wonder how anything that bad could make it through product testing, are the tires (no tread) are easily and cheaply fixed. I'm sure there are places where the tires would be fine, but I can't see the sidewalls lasting more than about 3 rides and lack any lateral grip. Rode a Fuel EX9.5 with 07 XTR two days ago same tires (already had a sidewall cut) and I'd have a hard time imagining a better race bike. It helped that the thing weighs more than 25% less than my everyday bike, but it handled exceptionally well, and the extra pivot did make it smoother on the little stuff. If your trails are not too rough or racing is in the plans then either would be a great choice, and then it comes down to fit. BTW the G2 geometry is a big improvement.

#5 ·
I'd like to add to the tires. I've been on 2 long rides now with my hifi and definitly concur about the tires sucking. Not nearly enough tread for anything other than dirt. I almost bit it hard when my front tire started to push over some loose, rocky patches the other day. I dont know what I'll go with, but i'll be changing them and going tubeless.

#11 ·
Just purchased an 2007 X-Caliber 29er, This is my first 29er and thus far really like it. I narrowed my choices down to the GF Xcal and the Cannondale Caffine 29er but due to Caffine availablity and couple hundred additional cost I decided to go with the 07 Gary Fisher Xcal. Once I'v owned it for 6 months or so I will have more comments I'm sure.

#14 · (Edited)
Are you planning to race? If not, then I would go with the Hi-Fi. I have a Procaliber, and it is fun to ride, but I do occasionally miss the 100 mm fork I had on my last bike (Giant Trance 1). If you plan to just ride trails, the Hi-Fi would be the better choice. If you plan to race, then go with the SuperCaliber. If you are doing endurance racing, then the Hi-Fi might be better. I imagine both bikes are pretty close in weight. The Caliber might be slightly easier to maintain, due to its single pivot design, while the rear end of the Hi-Fi should be stiffer, due to it's multilink design. I do notice the flex in the Procaliber frame, though it doesn't really bother me. I'm 160#. I hope this helps.
BTW, if you are looking at a SuperCaliber 29, then that might be the better bike. I demo'd a 29er and it was nice. I feel the 29 inch wheels add an inch of suspension.

#18 ·
kdiddy said:
Are you planning to race? If not, then I would go with the Hi-Fi. I have a Procaliber, and it is fun to ride, but I do occasionally miss the 100 mm fork I had on my last bike (Giant Trance 1). If you plan to just ride trails, the Hi-Fi would be the better choice. If you plan to race, then go with the SuperCaliber. If you are doing endurance racing, then the Hi-Fi might be better. I imagine both bikes are pretty close in weight. The Caliber might be slightly easier to maintain, due to its single pivot design, while the rear end of the Hi-Fi should be stiffer, due to it's multilink design. I do notice the flex in the Procaliber frame, though it doesn't really bother me. I'm 160#. I hope this helps.
BTW, if you are looking at a SuperCaliber 29, then that might be the better bike. I demo'd a 29er and it was nice. I feel the 29 inch wheels add an inch of suspension.
am i mistaken to say that the HiFi is a single pivot?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/gearhead313/Biking/HiFi002.jpg

#19 · (Edited)
gearhead313 said:
no, you are not. yes, it is. :thumbsup:

"Fisher's HiFi suspension boasts a single-pivot design, which combined with Fisher's Fourbarrel pivots on the seatstays, delivers a super tunable and supple ride. Plus, the USA-made frame is incredibly light. All of which means that the HiFi has no weaknesses. It's an excellent suspension, sets new weight standards and handles unlike anything you've ever ridden."

#20 ·
yes the Hi-Fi is a single pivot - all Treks and Fishers (and many, many other brands) are technically single pivot bikes. What I was getting at is the fact that it has additional linkages which should help to make the rear end more laterally stiff - it is connected to the front triangle at two spots instead of just 1 spot like the Calibers.

#21 ·
The Jones tires may suck hard but the HiFi kicks ass. I have been riding my HiFi Pro for 2 weeks and I can't believe how great this bike handles. Mine is under 26 lbs and it rips! I won the first time trial I entered on it and I have never won a time trial with the club I belong to. I run Schwalbe's (Alberts or Racing Ralphs) on my bikes and they work the nuts!

I have never had so much fun riding a bike! All the hype is no BS, this thing is the real deal. I am now a HiFi believer.....

#22 ·
I'd agree...I've had experience with the Jones tires and they suck. Hard. The ACX's are a bit better, but are not that great either.

I threw a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on my Cake (and my previous Piranah / Marlin) and the tires handle my local conditions well.

I agree with Liv2Ryd...Fisher makes the real deal. I have my Cake and eat mountain too :)

#23 ·
I just completed a 24 hour enduro race with a cake 2 dlx, 3 20 km laps of 50/50 ish single track and firetrial. took the bontagers of and ran with continental verticals, halfway through the first lap I was absolutetly railing the singletrack and the genesis geo was allowing me to throw the bike around something stupid, only two crashes for the weekend. one falling of a foot high bridge on practice and once at night coming off the track into a couple of trees.
other than that the bike held up unbelievably well.

#24 ·
Hey Aus,

Those Contis sound great and I've had a lot of people suggest them as an alternative to my Fire XC Pros (I'm loking at trying something else with the next set of tires). Only bad thing is the only place locally that has any only has the UST version ($100 CDN each!) and they are a bit rich for my tastes. Maybe some Panaracer Cinders next time.

I'm a bigger guy (6' 235lb) and the Cake puts up with my agressive riding just fine...glad to hear that I'm not the only one having good luck on one.

#25 ·
Mike
Yeah
this is the first time I've had a chance to really push it and I couldn't believe how responsive it could be. The tyres where recommended and held up fine in some really really dusty conditions. Weaving at top speed through some pretty narrow at times singletrack I figured I couldn't go to quick but by the end of the first lap was pushing hard, harder than even I realised.
I had so much fun that I am going to go back next year and do it again when the new track is opened at Mt Stromlo in the ACT

#26 ·
I have a HiFi plus and love it. I trail ride, race it, commute to work on it, went through an EMS cyclist course with it and take it to the local skate/bike park on occasion.

I was hesitant at first because I heard "HiFi's can't climb" many times, and when I bought mine my rear tire spun out from under me on the first serious climb I tried, and that remained a problem until I wore out the bontager jones and threw on a pair of WTB Weirwolfs. My bike now climbs like a race bike (it just handles squirrely when leaned over fast - I may try Kendas next).

The only thing it doesn't have I want is 29s, and there is a 29" HiFi....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.