mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Another Y11 question

I have seen many a report on the Y11 and it's failed rear suspension design. I want to know more about the rest of the bike though. I am fortunate to have a full machine shop at my disposal and I love to play with OEM design modifications. For fun, I plan to do some rear suspension shannagins in my shop. However, I have heard nothing about the integrity of the frame. Every forum that I have seen that answers to the "I'm thinking of getting a Y11......" addresses the flawed rear suspension design only. Any other insight out there? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Flawed how? The unified rear triangle back in the day was a good design.

Are you talking about failure points, or the engineering design?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have seen a lot of info in regards to the terrible bounce on the Y11. Comments like "One step above a walmart bike" or "equivalent to a mongoose" to mention a couple. I am not concerned with the suspension per say, as I mentioned I plan on tinkering with the design some. BUT, if the frame has intergrity issues that might change my mind on spending any time on it. I read a post (somewhere) that said the carbon fiber frame was only good for x number of years. Being an engineer this seemed odd to me, but being a newbie in mtn bikes and carbon frame bikes in general I felt the need to ask around.

Thanks for the response by the way!

mtbr member
    The Generation 1 carbon frames had a design flaw that caused a failure at the shock mount. My 1996 Y33 just got taken out of service as a result of that failure point. Look at the picture of mine - where the shock mount and the carbon come together, the frame would crack.
    Another Y11 question-1451543_10202039922892354_1231313966_n.jpg

The Generation 2 frames had a different design -(picture unknown) Another Y11 question-8379296133_d3b6280695_z.jpg

The unified rear triangle was intended to reduce pedal-bob, but it was not able to eliminate it. Many of them (mine included) had a Stratos shock which had a lock-out, mounted to the bars. This would totally eliminate any pedal bob. They had NO "blow-off" however, so you had to be careful using it. If you hit something hard, you could blow out the shock.
    The unified triangle also made the suspension fully active under all circumstances, unlike some of the designs of the day. Example, the Cannondale Super V design.
    Another Y11 question-lframe1801.jpg
    A lot of pedal bob, and suspension would "tighten up" when pedaling. (which is what induced pedal bob).
    The major benefit I saw to the Super V, was EXCELLENT climbing traction. The Y bike did not have the same climbing traction, due to the unified triangle.

I am not an engineer, but I understand geometry, physics, and many other fundamentals. That carbon frame of mine took a BEATING. I used to wheelie off picnic tables on that frame (this was mid 90's, when 80mm of travel was HUGE and a disc brake was a piece of junk that didn't work half as well as a V brake (which was Parallel Push!).
    These bikes had NO compression or rebound damping in the suspension. If you had a Judy fork, or a Manitou EFC, it was TOP of the LINE. "Whoa! Hydraulic damping rods?" Elastomers were your damping, and so was strictly air in the shocks. If you had a spring shock, it was barely considered trail worthy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Great information, thank you! I will check out the shock mounting area with extra attention. I feel better about the frame integrity now. Thanks again!