inner peace to make peace

New question here. alt. fork for Remedy 9 frame

are there 1.5" lower headset adapters available for a Remedy 9 frame so that I can run a DT Swiss EXC 150 TA fork with 1 1/8" instead of a 36 Float fork?

anyone know the weight of a med. Remedy 9 frame? (just curious)
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

Slow Poke
    Jun 2007
    There was a Trek video I recently saw, where they talked about E2 and how you could run a regular 1.125" fork by just using an adapter from your trek dealer.

Frank

Edit: This was a "Factory" Trek video, not just some guy. I don't remember where I saw it though.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    The replacement part is a very inexpensive alternative headset crown race which allows standard forks.

Slow Poke
    Jun 2007
    As far as the weight, I'll be able to tell you in a couple days when I recieve my XL R9.

If you don't want to buy the adapter from Trek, you could take your bike to a local machine shop with the E2 parts and a spare 1.125" headset and have them mill you a an adapter for the lower race from your spare headset. The adapter would press into the frame after the 1.125" lower race has been pressed into the adapter (or possibly vice-versa.) I haven't seen an E2 headset up close yet, but I have a feeling that the adapter would only need to consist of a billet Al ring with an O.D. of the I.D. 1.5" head tube +.0005" -0.0000" and an I.D. of the O.D. of the 1.125" race +0.0000" -0.0005". It would be nice to know what tolerances the tubes and races have but the tolerances I just gave you will most likely work fine.

Thats how it would work in my mind's eye, but I'll be able to confirm in a couple days. I'll take pics and post a write-up when I recieve the bike.

If there were some more interest in this, I might be able to squeeze a small run of these adapters on the CNC lathe into our work schedule at my shop.

Frank

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    The Trek approved adapters are about 10 bucks if I remember correctly.... seems a little cheaper than custom CNC parts and donor headsets.

Slow Poke
    Jun 2007
    Sorry Jerry,
    I misread that the adapters were very expensive not INexpensive as you wrote. In my case, living in Panama right now, its easier for me to just turn some if need be than to wait six months for the local dealer to bring one in.
    Frank

Members who have read this thread: 0