mtbr member
    Feb 2012

advice on an '02 Fuel 98

I have the opportunity to purchase an '02 fuel 98. It's a complete bike, but missing tires, cables, and a chain....purchase price is $250. I figured i would post up in the Trek part of the forum to see what you Trek guys had to say about it. I'm new to biking and would greatly appreciate any input you all had to offer.

cash money
    not too bad, i would go through the bike carefully before purchase though. Hubs good? r derailler hanger good and rear derailler not damaged? pivots good? Shocks working properly? Need Cables AND housing or just cables? what cables? brake and drail? Shifters and brakes work properly? need brake pads? Frame not damaged? stuff like that...

expect to put aside an extra 100 for a good set o' tires.
    depending on what you mean by its "missing cables" looking at under up to 50 or so for that...
    Chain is prob 9 speed. typically 25+ dollars for that. Dont be suprised if it skips though. Worst case is new cassette and/or chainrings on top of that.

good to excellent bike wrenching skills needed. or lots of extra dollars to pay the shop to do it.

You probably should elaborate a bit more on what it needs for more help. Pictures?
    Price is pretty good. as long as it doesnt need much i would go for it.

Hope this helps
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thank you for the info. I know next to nothing about these things.... I haven't seen it in person yet, i'm going this weekend to look at it. He's told me the only things it needs are: tubes/tires, cables (brake and shift), a chain, and brake pads.

It's an aluminum frame with carbon fiber rear triangle. I'm unsure of the condition of the rock shox rear shock, but the rock shox duke fork has just been rebuilt by a shop in Asheville, NC. It's got the headset, stem and bars, seatpost and titanium seat. Basic wheelset, Alivio brake and shift levers, Alivio front and rear deraileurs, Alivio cranks, chainrings, and bottom bracket ( bearing in good shape ). He has offered to show me how to put it all together as well.....

cash money
    yep i see. Expect to put a few hundred extra into the bike to get it going. Would take it to your lbs and have a good mechanic check it out as well. seems like a decent deal.

cash money
    Wait, its a fuel 98? that should be much nicer than alivio and should have more like a rockshox sid and fox rear. thats what the 03 model has sho the 02 should only be slighty different...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ok, thanks so much for the help. I may end up going a different route...another guy close has a 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc in excellent condition for $375 bones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    they aren't the original components to the bike. He is selling the frameset with shocks only for the $250, and when i told him it was my first bike and i didn't have any other components, he said he would throw all of that other stuff in to help me out with my first build. The alivio stuff is spare stuff he had.

cash money
    29er? what kind of spec on that one? sounds a little bit better. newer bike and less stuff needed. As a beginner it should help to have a bike that's good to go right when you buy it. The fuels a nicer bike but sounds like a money pit to me.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's not the 29er, the hardrock is a 26". I just thought maybe the Fuel was a better quality bike for the money....which is why i've posted here to ask, because again, i have zero knowledge of these things. here's a link to the specialized posting 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i was mistaken, it's a 2004, not a 2002. here is a link to some pictrues of the frameset....

https://plus.google.com/photos/11531...80124899267985

cash money
    That's tough. The fuel is a nicer, more capable bike that will prob have you enjoying riding more than the specy. BUT it has definately been ridden pretty hard and much wear. And it need parts.

The specy is a newer bike that is good to go. BUT the shocks are not as capable and it will prob be a harsher ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    this is mainly going to be a commuter/light trail bike....thank you everyone for all of your help on this!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just found this one too, i offered him $350 and he accepted if i like it....do you think this one is a better find? it's a 2008 Trek 4500 4 series 2008 TREK 4500 4 series

cash money
    it looks like the cranks are on wrong or something, is it just me or are the chainrings on the non drive side? looks like it from this pic

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    it does look at little strange for some reason, but they're on the right side. would this be considered an upgrade from the '10 hardrock sport disc?

cash money
    hmm, it may be. just a little bit, depending on the specy fork and brakes. prob just a little bit nicer as it appears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    the hardrock has all stock components. this Trek has a Rock Shock Psylo Front Fork...