mtbr member

ABP coming loose

My 14 fuel ex8 29 has had a few issues here and there, but the most concerning one is the abp. I have to check it constantly as I will ride a bit on very light trails and it will just pop loose. The strangest thing is that after it does it, the skewer will be either way too right or too loose where it was just sitting snug. The first hint I get is a bit of noise. Then it has an audibly loose sound when I hop off.
    The dealer replaced bits of the abp and found it was missing washers from trek. They installed the parts and I was hoping it was all good, but not so far.
    I am hoping it was a fluke but it seems like this is going to fight me.
    Any help, info or ideas would be much appreciated. I have no idea what's going on, and everything seems solid and has been torqued appropriately, as well as blue loctite was applied.

Thanks in advance!
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Take it back to the shop you bought it from and have them look at it again.

Brand new bike, from a dealer... continue to use your warranty until you are happy.

If the shop is any good they will not want a customer riding a bike they are not happy with or that is not performing as it should, that's just bad CS.... and Trek wouldn't want that either IMO.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, and I do absolutely intend on taking it back to them! I was just wondering if anyone had any input, knowledge, or info pertaining to this sort of issue with the abp as they have never seen any issues like this before and I would prefer to not just dump the bike there and let it sit until it's sorted. I'm not complaining about the shop at all, but troubleshooting can be a pita, so if there's anything I can try if to avoid the drive there as well as down time, or even just to let them know, it could cut down on the time of the trail, and that's all I'm hoping for!
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 722ish View Post
    Thanks for the reply, and I do absolutely intend on taking it back to them! I was just wondering if anyone had any input, knowledge, or info pertaining to this sort of issue with the abp as they have never seen any issues like this before and I would prefer to not just dump the bike there and let it sit until it's sorted. I'm not complaining about the shop at all, but troubleshooting can be a pita, so if there's anything I can try if to avoid the drive there as well as down time, or even just to let them know, it could cut down on the time of the trail, and that's all I'm hoping for!
    Thanks again.
    had a similar problem. brought it to LBS and told them ABP was getting loose and they tightened it with a torque wrench. think its 200 in/lb if im not mistaken.
    Last edited by bapski; 11-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, but yes they have already done that and used blue loctite at the recommendation of trek on the threaded components aside from the axle itself.
    I don't ride it particularly hard or for an extreme number of miles or anything either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Never had a problem with the APB coming lose. Make sure the bolt threads and nut are free of grease before using the loctite and let the loctite dry before use (I think 24hrs).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a Remedy 7 29 that's only a week old and it's at the shop now for the APB. The bearing on the drive side is supposed to be press fit, mine was not. It caused the chain stay to move sideways and clunk under hard pedaling. I think they are going to replace the chain stay.

mtbr member

ABP coming loose

Thanks for all the replies. Today the skewer wasnt even coming loose all the time but the wheel would wobble around as if it was loose.
    It did also pop loose a few times but it constantly feels as if there's a flat if I jump on it.

Thanks for the info on the remedy. I will have them check that out for sure.