Thread: 99 Trek 7000

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

99 Trek 7000

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/bik/2350886344.html

My father in law wants me to find him a bike. I steered him away from target and walmart. He wanted a "full suspension" for like 85 bucks new. I convinced him an older bike like this will ride 100x better than a new walmart clunker. What do you guys think of this deal? Were going to go check it out tomorrow hopefully. Make him an offer if it rides nice

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Good bike...probably has a 27.2 seatpost diameter and getting a suspension seatpost off of ebay or even new would be pretty easy.

Offer $150 cause if you're not a mechanic, getting the shifting problem fixed will cost around $75.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    Good bike...probably has a 27.2 seatpost diameter and getting a suspension seatpost off of ebay or even new would be pretty easy.

Offer $150 cause if you're not a mechanic, getting the shifting problem fixed will cost around $75.
    If your shop or any shop is charging this much to fix a shifting problem you need a new shop...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    If your shop or any shop is charging this much to fix a shifting problem you need a new shop...
    +1

I don't think my shop or any shop in my area for that matter charges more than $25-30 to tune the derailleur's. Now if you're having them install new cables and getting a full tune-up including breaks, etc than $75 is more reasonable.

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My shop is my shop

Quote Originally Posted by josh8
    I haven't been to a shop in quite a while...if he's asking these questions about this bike, he needs a shop. The shop he's going to take it to would love to do a complete tune up, and he should get one as the bike is 12 years old, even though it looks OK.

The last 'overhaul' price I saw was at International Bike in Brighton, MA. Check it.

http://internationalbike.com/article...rtment-pg8.htm