mtbr member
    Jun 2007

99 Klein Attitude Comp Hydraulic Brake Upgrade

Hi all.
    First time on this this site and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice with regards to upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes on my 99 Klein . Anyone know what adapters and brake combinations will work ? I gather there could be some issues with adapting the early type rear mount. The forks are the standard Manitou SX e's
    Any help appreciated guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    What you need is a 22mm disc brake adapter. Hayes makes one. Your LBS should be able to get it for you (BTI# HY8829).

A2Z also makes one, but I don't know their link

Or you could get a conversion kit from Brake Therapy.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK DE
    Hi all.
    First time on this this site and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice with regards to upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes on my 99 Klein . Anyone know what adapters and brake combinations will work ? I gather there could be some issues with adapting the early type rear mount. The forks are the standard Manitou SX e's
    Any help appreciated guys
    I upgraded my wife's Attitude last summer. It took a little digging to find the rear adapter - I called all the local Klein dealers in town and one of them had it. I think Trek used the same adapter on some of their older frames - so you could try Trek dealers as well. Once you have the right adapter you can use any standard disc brake setup.

You won't need an adapter for the fork, but you might need some shims (spacers) for the rotor, depending on your wheelset. With a Hope XC front hub, I needed the shims to align the rotor properly. These were also hard to track down - I eventually ordered from universal cycles.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mark,

I have a 22mm Hayes DM caliper half for your chainstay mount. Also a 68mm mount half for your presumably 99 Manitou post mount fork. These are mount halves only; you would need the other halves of G1 or G2 calipers. Both are complete halves with pistons and seals. PM me if interested.

Richard

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the help guys. Just bought some A2Z adapters on EBAY

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mark,

Good luck with the A2Z adapter. This has been discussed at length on the brake forum. You will probably find that you don't have enough room between the seat and chain stays to mount the caliper + adaptor. At the very least, you will probably have to go to a larger rotor. Most have found that the only real solution is a Hayes 22mm DM caliper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the information guys. Anyone know if the current range of Hayes Disc brakes would be a direct fitment for my bike ? At the moment i don't have any hydraulic components whatsoever so changing rotor sizes not really an issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rburke
    Mark,

Good luck with the A2Z adapter. This has been discussed at length on the brake forum. You will probably find that you don't have enough room between the seat and chain stays to mount the caliper + adaptor. At the very least, you will probably have to go to a larger rotor. Most have found that the only real solution is a Hayes 22mm DM caliper.
    NOT TRUE!
    I posted it many times here, so just do a search on my posts.
    The only problem you might have, is, if your frame is a M or an S. Mine is an L and it's already close, might work on an M too, but I doubt on an S.
    You can run either 180mm or 160mm, mine is 160. Again just do a search on my posts.
    Proof: