mtbr member
    Jan 2007

'97 Mantra Comp questions

I have a '97 Mantra Comp which I've had seen since near-new, but I after various non-riding and road-riding distractions, I'm starting to ride a lot again. A couple of questions:
    - rear sag? I weigh about 180 lbs, and even with the preload collar about 50% up the threads, static sag with me on the saddle compresses the shock right up to the (very soft) bump stop, about 16mm. Any recommendations? Shock is the OEM Fox Vanilla.
    - general opinions of this bike ... back in the day it was considered very good for an FS cross-country bike, but URT's are out of favor now and I'm sure there's a lot better stuff our there. I came from a rigid so it still feels pretty good to me, but I've been considering a new fork, maybe a disk upgrade (would a Brake Therapy conversion work on this bike?) . I know this is very subjective, but is it worth it? I live in Northern California and ride singletrack and fireroad, at a moderate pace, no jumps/drops.

-dman

Take Chances
    Funny thing. I have the original owners manual for my mantra pro and it says nothing about this. I also have the original fox float R manual. It states the correct sag should be 15%-33%. Get this 15%-25% for XC and 25%-33% for downhill. OK, I guess that means the correct sage is somewhere between 15% and 25%.

For settings the sag on a Vanilla it is based on the Shock Travel(shock not bike). There is a Vanilla Sag table in my book. If you are interested in the pages from this I can email them to you as a scanned attachment. There is verbage in here about spring rates, sag, preload, etc... PM me you email address and I will send you the documents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks tymelero, I have the Vanilla shock docs but I was wondering if there were any other settings recommended for the Mantra specifically. My Mantra owners manual doesn't even hint at the existence of rear suspension - it's one step better than a generic bike manual.

-dman_mb1

Take Chances
    Sounds like you have the docs that I have. I have not had much experience with coil shocks. My 96 has a air shock on it. Good luck.