mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. 7000 trek which cassette to use

Recently I got a 7000 21 speed without wheels or cassette. Since I am a newbie to biking I was wondering if someone can help me to find out what type of cassette and wheels to use. For now I will be riding on trails but eventually would like to go off roading. I would appreciate all opinions and answers.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by trek newbie
    Recently I got a 7000 21 speed without wheels or cassette. Since I am a newbie to biking I was wondering if someone can help me to find out what type of cassette and wheels to use. For now I will be riding on trails but eventually would like to go off roading. I would appreciate all opinions and answers.
    Since you say it's a 21 speed that means it has a 7 speed cassette on the rear wheel. Sometimes bikes have "7-speed spacing" on the frame which is 130 mm I believe. However if it's later than say 93-94 it's likely to have 8 speed spacing which is 135 mm between the rear frame dropouts (that's what the wheel fits in). In that case they used a spacer to make the 7 speed cassette fit an 8 speed wheel. You just need to measure the width of the space the wheel fits into.

If it has the 7 speed shifters and they work OK you would probably need an 8 speed spaced rear rim brake wheel and a spacer to fit a 7 speed cassette and of course a 7 speed cassette. I have a friend that has a 1994 7000 and that's how his is setup. The front wheel will be standard 100 mm spaced rim brake wheel.