Thread: 6500 Kickstand

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

6500 Kickstand

I know the MTB purists are gonna eat me alive for this, but I have to ask. I just bought a 2007 Trek 6500. The LBS said they don't encourage kickstands on the aluminum framed bikes, which I can understand why. But it seems to me that Trek would make a kickstand that fits the machined brace in the middle of the rear fork. I haven't found anything on their website and no response to Trek Emails. Does any of you know of a special kickstand for this series of bikes? Thanks

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    You can put a kickstand on anything. I've even heard of a shop that put a kickstand on a carbon bike because that's what the customer wanted. The only material I can think of that wouldn't take it is a high-end steel frame.

Kickstands on aluminum frames are very common and the Alpha SLR frame isn't really a boutique bike frame.

In fact, as far as a basic kickstand goes, the bolt will probably fail before the frame does.

All that being said, it would be a colossal faux pax to put a kickstand on a trail bike.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    All that being said, it would be a colossal faux pax to put a kickstand on a trail bike.
    Not to mention a legitimate safety issue....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Trek's response

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I definately understand the safety concerns, but I'm not a pounder by far. Jumps and downhilling aren't very prevalent in Central Florida. My 6500 is mainly a commuter and pleasure ride. Most off-roading is on good trails.

I have a kickstand on my 7500FX and have never had a problem. Frame material is pretty much the same. The LBS said they don't recommend it on this frame because the frame will distort and the kickstand will always be loose.

Anyhow, Trek finally E-mailed me last night and recommended a kickstand by Greenfield. I'm suppose to call them today for the part numbers. Don't know why they didn't just add it to the E-mail. I guess since the manufacturer didn't mention any problems that I shouldn't be concerned.

mtbr member
    Greenfield kickstands are the brand that just about every bike shop uses...they are a pretty universal part. You shouldn't need any part numbers. Here's a link to the product. I'd just go into a shop and ask them for a Greenfield kickstand...it'll probably be in the neighborhood of $9.99.

http://www.greenfieldny.com/chart_bicycle.htm#kickstand

local trails rider
    I removed the kick stand from my 1992 Specialized HardRock commuter/errand/whatever bike too: it just seemed to be collecting dirt, and when I leave the bike unattended I like to lock it to some fairly solid object.