mtbr member
    Apr 2008

6500 and 6500 WSD, any thoughts?

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are going to take a 2008 Trek 6500 (for me) and a 2007 Trek 6500 (for her) for a test ride tomorrow.

Anyone have any comments on these bikes?

Anyone own either of them?

I'd like to know what you think . . .

Thanks!

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    I have a recommendation for you. Have your girlfriend try a 6500 not WSD. Just because it is WSD, it doesn't mean it fits your girl better than the normal 6500. If she is equally happy on both bikes, I would get the normal 6500 because if you decide to sell later on, it will me much easier to sell it than a WSD.

I'm also considering getting a bike for my girlfriend, but I will only consider WSD bikes only if she isn't comfortable in any normal bike. Usually they notice a difference, but is the saddle, which can be easily swapped and your bike store should do it for free when you purchase the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amrgb
    I have a recommendation for you. Have your girlfriend try a 6500 not WSD. Just because it is WSD, it doesn't mean it fits your girl better than the normal 6500. If she is equally happy on both bikes, I would get the normal 6500 because if you decide to sell later on, it will me much easier to sell it than a WSD.

I'm also considering getting a bike for my girlfriend, but I will only consider WSD bikes only if she isn't comfortable in any normal bike. Usually they notice a difference, but is the saddle, which can be easily swapped and your bike store should do it for free when you purchase the bike.

EXACTLY, my wife has a WSD but im quite sure she could have fit on a regular bike as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the input! I'll have her try both bikes . . .

Tactical Wheel Man
    I love mine. She's an '07 with 150+ miles so far. I swapped out a few things to suit my preferences but the bike was completely fine stock...

'07 TREK 6500
    - Race Face Diabolus O/S 50mm stem
    - SIC Livin Large 2" rise/28" wide/31.8mm bars
    - ODI Rogue Lock-On grips
    - WTB SST 2K saddle
    - SunRingle ZuZu pedals
    - WTB Moto Raptor 2.4 meats
    - Race Face bashguard
    - TREK 9i Wireless computer

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We bought!

My Girlfriend went with the 6500 WSD, as she really did feel a lot more comfortable on the frame and seat.

As for me, I went one better and bought the 6700. It felt better, and was lighter then the 6500 . . . can't wait to take it out!

Tactical Wheel Man
    Congratulations, Bro!! Now get out there together and get 'em DIRTY!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marsi00
    Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are going to take a 2008 Trek 6500 (for me) and a 2007 Trek 6500 (for her) for a test ride tomorrow.

Anyone have any comments on these bikes?

Anyone own either of them?

I'd like to know what you think . . .

Thanks!

I have a '06 6500. The bike is fine, but if you get into the sport, you are going to be upgrading the heck out of it.

Mine:
    *New Seat (stock sucked) - WTB Rocket V (eBay dirt cheap)
    *New Front forks (the elite 80's sucked) - eBay $200.00 for Rock Shox Recon G2 120MM (which btw pushes the limit in travel for the frame
    *New Shimano PD clipless pedals - $75 for the peddles (LBS) and 40 for the shoes (pricepoint)
    *Avid BB7disc brakes - $100.00 for the set up
    * I am in the market for a new seat post and possible a new stem.

I installed everything by myself so I saved there. I picked the bike up for dirt cheap (half off and brand NEW in late 2007) so I am not upset. With all my upgrades, I am about where I would have been if I would have purchased the bike at full price (look for deals and snipe on eBay). if I was to pay full price for everything, I would be looking at $1,400.

I do like the bike VERY much though you wil be very happy with your choices.
    Sometimes you just gotta get gnarley.