Double-metric mtb man

6" vs 8" front rotor on Cake

Hi all,

I noticed that GF went to a 6" front rotor on the Cake 2 DLX for '06 vs the 8" that was on the bike for '05. I know the 8" would have more stopping power, but I'm wondering if the Cake needs that much.

Anyone out there upgrading to an 8" front rotor and if so, what sort of riding are you doing to require the extra oomph up front?

Thanks
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Rider of Bikes
    I think the eight inch rotor on that bike was overkill. The six inch rotor works fine, and packs all the stopping power you need.
    [SIZE="5"]dirtyharrys.net[/SIZE]
    http://dirtyharrys.net

Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboyjeff
    I think the eight inch rotor on that bike was overkill. The six inch rotor works fine, and packs all the stopping power you need.
    agreed.
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care

mtbr member
    May 2004

8" rotors if riders weight exceeds 190 lbs.

I had standard 6" rotors on my 2004 Cake and hardly avoided a bad crash on my first real technical downhill where brakes were completelly exhausted and I ended up with zero brake power. The hayes 6" brakes have a tendency of overheating easily if the weight of the rider is > 190 lbs. If you have more than that then you definitely need to upgrade to 8" rotors if you want to have brakes in every situation. Today, I have 8" rotors on both wheels and dont lack anymore on breaking power.