mtbr member
    Jun 2007

5'6" tall. What size frame for me?

I am 5'6" tall. What size Trek OCLV frame for would fit me best? I presently ride a 10yr. old Gary Fisher OCLV 16.5'. Choices now seem to be 15.5 or 17.5. The Medium, 17.5, I can't quite straddle standing still. Thoughts? Thanks a lot gang!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i'm 5'7 155lb i ride 17.5

catskillclimber
    If you couldn't stand over the 17.5 with a couple inches of clearance between your package and the top tube then its too big. Go with the 15.5. Two people can be the same height and have different inseams.

Quote Originally Posted by catskillclimber
    If you couldn't stand over the 17.5 with a couple inches of clearance between your package and the top tube then its too big. Go with the 15.5. Two people can be the same height and have different inseams.
    This is true ... I'm 5'7", and perfectly comfortable on my 17.5" Fuel - the 15.5" felt "too small" for whatever reason - and, no, standover is not an issue on my frame, in my case ..... I'd recommend test ride both sizes and buy what "feels right" .

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm 5'7" with a small inseam and ride a 15.5" Fuel EX just fine wheras with the 17.5" might hurt my chances of having siblings someday. Although I also have a Kona hardtail in a 17" that fits fine. Your best bet is to actually try the standover height for yourself and see what feels best because I've found that different manufactures have quite different geometries.