mtbr member
    Mar 2011

4500 disc 2011 vs. Gary Fisher Wahoo 2011

Hi everyone,

I am an experienced bike rider/trail rider but have never own my own mountain bike. I used to race bmx and would ride through all sorts of trails in new england. I do ride on the street once in a while so I will be using my mountain bike for street riding as well as trails and off-road riding.

I know the Wahoo is about $100 cheaper than the 4500 disc so I was wondering if the extra money is worth it for the 4500 disc over the wahoo? I think the derailer looks nicer but am not sure as I don't know lots about mountain bikes yet.

All opinions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the '11 4500 disc, and I know a lot of components are thicker (Bars, seatpost, etc.), Im pretty sure (correct me if im wrong) the Wahoo's disc brakes are mechanical, while the 4500's are hydraulic. Also, the cranks on the 4500 look beefier.

I hate that name.
    2011 Wahoo does have hydraulic brakes. 4500 is slightly better with 9 speed components and Shimano 445 brakes.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My bad on the brakes. And I totally forgot the Wahoo wasn't 9spd.

I originally wanted the Wahoo but I'm completely satisfied with my decision to go with the 4500. One of the LBS near me gave me $180 off sticker price on the 4500, which basically made the decision for me, but what I got was worth it. The only reasons I'd go with the GF instead (other than price) were the satin vs. gloss paintjob and the G2 geometry, but the 4500 felt great for me, and in the end I got the better bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering the wahoo because of the geometry. I liked the red color of the 4500 but the blue wahoo is cool. I will ride it on and off road but probably more off road so I went with the wahoo.

mtbr member
    Great choice! I bought a Wahoo a few months back and it has been an awesome bike to get into mountain biking with. Post some pictures of your first ride!
    EMAW