mtbr member
    Oct 2006

3700 fork question.

I was wondering if anyone could help with my dilemma.

I just switched to a 3700 from a Specialized HR, mostly because I love the way it handles/steers and because the 16" fits me perfectly. I planned to upgrade the RST 191c fork as soon as I got the chance, but I wanted to preserve the quick steering as much as possible and I have no idea which fork would be a good choice. I'm trying to stay toward the lower end, under $200 if possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I believe that RST is a 63mm travel fork so if you want to preserve that steering exactly as is, you are going to need a a 63mm fork---which no one makes beyond entry level works anymore with the exception of the RS Sid. Depending on the type of riding you so, just about any fork is going to be better, but you are going to be looking at a 80mm fork. That that price range I'd look for something like a new-old-stock Skareb or a Black Super Air on ebay. You also might try your luck with a NOS RS Duke if you can find one, there were models that had adjustable travel all the way down to 63mm.

As for looking for something new you can buy retail right now, i'll let some else chime in. Finding a current model decent fork that's 80mm (or less) with canti studs and under $200 is a little difficult now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the ideas Chupa, I'm scouring ebay right now.

catskillclimber
    I replaced mine with a Rockshox J2 80mm and it works great. It was only $79.99 through Blue Sky. Good Luck.