Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

2017 Trek Slash details

Rumors says 2017 Slash will be a 160mm 29er only (no 27.5), to compete with those new long travel 29ers like BMC Tralfox, Niner WFO and of course Specialized Enduro 29.

Any info/pisc of the 2017 Slash?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Subscribed!

Hoping the new Slash turns out to be the "real" replacement for the Remedy 29er that I love so much.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    There are lot of rumors with it.
    I am hoping for a 160/170 travel bike. Hell Niner has one now. Santa Cruz has one now.
    They even have a 170 27.5+ bike.

I am hoping it comes in both 27.5 or 29er with at least 160/170 travel.

and no SRAM brakes
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There are two spy shots of a 29er in the "What's new for 2017" thread. It's no longer full floater (bottom of the shock is fixed to the frame) and appears to be 1x specific. Very interested in seeing how it ends up materializing.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mumphry View Post
    There are two spy shots of a 29er in the "What's new for 2017" thread. It's no longer full floater (bottom of the shock is fixed to the frame) and appears to be 1x specific. Very interested in seeing how it ends up materializing.

If true., I'l more than likely end up getting a left over 9.8. lots in stock my size
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Last week CTC (Trek's Israeli dealer) launced 2017 Fuel ex & Remedy line up.
    During the launch event CTC representaives said that the 2017 Slash is a 29er only with a 160mm travel.

It's a little odd that the Remedy is only 27.5 while the Slash (which is Trek's more agressive/enduro bike) is 29er only...

I guess we have to wait and see...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Last week CTC (Trek's Israeli dealer) launced 2017 Fuel ex & Remedy line up.
    During the launch event CTC representaives said that the 2017 Slash is a 29er only with a 160mm travel.

It's a little odd that the Remedy is only 27.5 while the Slash (which is Trek's more agressive/enduro bike) is 29er only...

I guess we have to wait and see...
    Trek i assume didn't like their EWS riders picking the Remedy 29er and added a 160 fork for the races over the bike they built for it, the Slash,.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Trek i assume didn't like their EWS riders picking the Remedy 29er and added a 160 fork for the races over the bike they built for it, the Slash,.
    I agree, It makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Eliminating the smaller wheel size on the Slash is still ludicrous. Making it a 170mm weapon would differentiate it from the bigger wheel size and would fall perfectly in line with it's mission statement. It's almost as if Trek's approach this year was eliminating the most familiar version of as many models as possible, and drastically changing the purpose of every single one. I'm glad they're apparently still making a bike for me (big travel, big wheels), but if I were a 650 rider I'd be pissed right now.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Can't wait.. even tho I prob wont be getting one ... my 2016 remedy is barely worn in =)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Slash 29

you are welcome !

2017 Trek Slash details-s29.jpg

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcoke View Post
    you are welcome !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s29.jpg 
Views:	8367 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	1082036
    Whatever that is, it's pretty damn awesome looking.
    Bird Aeris : Remedy 9.9 29er : Procaliber 9.8 SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Man - that beast looks burly! Look at how fat the down tube is!

Thank you!
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I want a bike that color.

Any bike!

If it's 160 at both ends, that may be overkill for my needs, but they DO have to make sure there is a significant "step" between it and the new Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    OMG! It's a beauty. very nice looking bike.
    I think it's the new Slash because:
    1. Upper left corner of the pic says "Slash 29".
    2. All 2017 Remedy line up run PIKE forks, while this one runs Fox 36.
    3. It looks much more burlier than the Remedy, what a massive down tube.

Mo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    No full floater either, unlike the Remedy/Fuel frames. Just like the prototype leaks. I wonder what that boss is on the downtube below the R.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looks like it has that silly "knock-block" as well...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The spot on the downtube is probably the location where they attach a zip tie to hold the housing run inside the tube. They do this to keep them from rattling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    @Chader rgr rgr

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    From zooming-in the pic, I'v spotted Bontrager SE4 tires.
    All Remedies run XR4.

Mo.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The most obvious giveaway that was missed by us all is the deluxe plus shock.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think there may have been confirmation that the Slash will be a 29er if you read between the lines of this article about Rene Wildhaber's 2017 Remedy for the EWS on pinkbike.

René Wildhaber's Trek Remedy - EWS Round 4, La Thuile, Italy - Pinkbike

This paragraph sticks out for me...

''I always try to ride different bikes and find out the possibilities on those bikes,'' he explained, before going on to say that we could see him on a number of different bikes throughout the year. ''I'll get a 29er again. I was also involved with the development team, so with the final product, I'm always curious to find out how it works.''

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-X View Post
    The most obvious giveaway that was missed by us all is the deluxe plus shock.
    I don't go off any of the shock mounted to the bikes before they hit the site
    Look at the Trek Remedy video on the Trek site. One or two of the Remedy have a piggy back fox. No Remedy on their site has one

René Wildhaber's shock is also one we can't get.
    I have even talked to Fox about the shocks. If i sent mine in to have it adjusted to a different level of shock or a trade up.
    They said no. Due to the buying power of Trek and their race support. They get the cool stuff. We don't
    Too Many .

Trail Ninja
    The chainstay looks like it might be single-ring only. That's about has high as they can get it without the chain rubbing on the top of it going from as low as a 28 in front to the 10t. Pretty thick looking too.

Bet one of the first things people want to question after experiencing its DH capability, what if you put a dual crown fork on it and see how it does on some real DH courses.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    The chainstay looks like it might be single-ring only. That's about has high as they can get it without the chain rubbing on the top of it going from as low as a 28 in front to the 10t. Pretty thick looking too.

Bet one of the first things people want to question after experiencing its DH capability, what if you put a dual crown fork on it and see how it does on some real DH courses.
    oh that's a good thought.
    They are already sticking Fox 36's on the Park Session's
    Too Many .

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I want a bike that color.

Any bike!
    No upcharge with Project 1, at least if the model is eligible (9.8 and higher usually).
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I don't go off any of the shock mounted to the bikes before they hit the site
    Look at the Trek Remedy video on the Trek site. One or two of the Remedy have a piggy back fox. No Remedy on their site has one

René Wildhaber's shock is also one we can't get.
    I have even talked to Fox about the shocks. If i sent mine in to have it adjusted to a different level of shock or a trade up.
    They said no. Due to the buying power of Trek and their race support. They get the cool stuff. We don't
    Really can't understand this behavior from Trek. For example in the Remedy official page there are plenty of photos of Remedies built with Fox 36 fork and Fox X2 shock while they don't sell even one bike with that build.
    The EWS rider, who is supposed to be the one that makes a lot of great publicity for this type of bike, has a Remedy that isn't purchasable and anyway you can't get the same frame and shock build.
    Absurdly even Fox won't tune a aftermarket damper to fit the frame like the pros.

The message that comes to me from Trek is "our bikes are great! That great that no one of our athletes are running it with default build"

Now closing parenthesis

Hope this new Slash will be purchasable with aluminum frame with a decent price. Here in Europe last year Slahs was just too much expansive compared to other enduro bike. For example the Slash 9 (only for Europe if I'm not wrong) was in sale for 5.149€. Just ridiculous

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aleks11 View Post
    Really can't understand this behavior from Trek. For example in the Remedy official page there are plenty of photos of Remedies built with Fox 36 fork and Fox X2 shock while they don't sell even one bike with that build.
    The EWS rider, who is supposed to be the one that makes a lot of great publicity for this type of bike, has a Remedy that isn't purchasable and anyway you can't get the same frame and shock build.
    Absurdly even Fox won't tune a aftermarket damper to fit the frame like the pros.

The message that comes to me from Trek is "our bikes are great! That great that no one of our athletes are running it with default build"

Now closing parenthesis

Hope this new Slash will be purchasable with aluminum frame with a decent price. Here in Europe last year Slahs was just too much expansive compared to other enduro bike. For example the Slash 9 (only for Europe if I'm not wrong) was in sale for 5.149€. Just ridiculous
    I agree.
    and Yes Europe got a Slash model and color the US didn't and it sucks cause I liked it.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aleks11 View Post

Now closing parenthesis

Annoying, yes, but it's the way of the world.

This is true for pretty much every professional racing sport that exists. Cars, motorcycles, bikes, skis, you name it.

The pros always get the special stuff, because winning means big $$$ and/or great marketing.

I have a little knowledge about this in the motocross world. A KTM 450 SX costs about $9,000. Estimates put Ryan Dungey's championship-winning version at $100,000 minimum, and some claim closer to $200,000.

mtbr member
    Annoying, yes, but it's the way of the world.

This is true for pretty much every professional racing sport that exists. Cars, motorcycles, bikes, skis, you name it.

The pros always get the special stuff, because winning means big $$$ and/or great marketing.

I have a little knowledge about this in the motocross world. A KTM 450 SX costs about $9,000. Estimates put Ryan Dungey's championship-winning version at $100,000 minimum, and some claim closer to $200,000.
    Yes and No.
    I used to race sport bikes and ATV's I was able to get most of what the Pro's got due to the rules.

The Trek shock thing is more of a "Trek Sized shock" over say, Intense, Niner, Etc.
    They run a odd sized shock so its hard to just get a better replacement. unlike a Transition or Intense bike
    The Pro's get those shocks due to being a Pro and having Trek behind them
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yes and No.
    I used to race sport bikes and ATV's I was able to get most of what the Pro's got due to the rules.
    Oh, come on, Brent! You were able to get the same equipment as the Yoshimura-equipped WSB teams and/or the HRC Baja racers?

Nope, you weren't.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

rear shock

Oh, come on, Brent! You were able to get the same equipment as the Yoshimura-equipped WSB teams and/or the HRC Baja racers?

Nope, you weren't.
    If you watch the remedy segment in slo-mo you see a F X2. Yes this is a custom version specific to the pro's...but with metric - I'll put my money that I can guarantee you Trek will spec the Remedy and Slash with it. FX2 or DHX2 who knows but just be patient and chill for a second...we are finally out of the one rear shock option era with Trek...finally!

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    With the move to metric the overall shock size will be the same but the stroke will be specific the trek. No doubt you could purchase an alternative metric shock and use spacers to alter the stroke to what is needed. Same shock, different SKU to account for the different stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It might be cool to see the new Ohlins 36 on this bike, but it seems like the big S may have that tied up in terms of OEM?

Still thinking this bike might be like killing ants with a hammer for most of my riding, but looking forward to details.

Probably at Trek World, would be my guess.

mtbr member

Nope, you weren't.

I said Most.

I raced 600cc SS class and ATV MX.
    some of the rules in our class were everything had to be over the counter and you were not allowed to upgrade some things. suspension, brakes must remain OEM
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I said Most.

I raced 600cc SS class and ATV MX.
    some of the rules in our class were everything had to be over the counter and you were not allowed to upgrade some things. suspension, brakes must remain OEM
    Right, and I said pros, so my comment that top level pros always have better equipment than us regular guys remains correct.

Sure, there are stock classes in some motorsports where everybody has to abide by the same equipment restrictions, but the shocks and forks on Justin's and Tracey's Treks have very little in common with what is available to the regular public at any price, and this will always be the case.

I just don't think that diminishes Trek as a brand in any way, as the previous poster seemed to feel.

mtbr member
    Right, and I said pros, so my comment that top level pros always have better equipment than us regular guys remains correct.

Sure, there are stock classes in some motorsports where everybody has to abide by the same equipment restrictions, but the shocks and forks on Justin's and Tracey's Treks have very little in common with what is available to the regular public at any price, and this will always be the case.

I just don't think that diminishes Trek as a brand in any way, as the previous poster seemed to feel.
    I'm not diminishing Trek at all. If i didn't like them I highly doubt I would spent money on the 20 bikes I have bought and 10 I have sold for them.

What I was trying to get across was the fact their rear shock measurements suck in mind of wanting to upgrade the rear shock to a different Brand ie. a different fox shock x2, or anything that didn't come on it or Crane Creek. etc
    I can buy a Santa Cruz, Intense, Niner or Transition and get online and buy a shock from almost anyone. Trek's you can't
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

2017 Trek Slash details

Rumour I just heard is that the slash will be 9.9 only for EWS racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Rumour I just heard is that the slash will be 9.9 only for EWS racing.

I've read something like that one week ago on a Italian forum. It seems that the bike is going to have carbon frame only.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all the info guys. I just wanted to note that the Remedy 29 performs awesomely with a Monarch + Debonair can -- especially when mated with a Pike up front. And SRAM made those available for the Remedy pretty quickly.

western NC
    Depends on what class of racing you're talking about. Some like MotoGP have the unobtainium stuff, yes. And some classes, like AMA super singles have very strict rules as already mentioned by Brent. Reason being is to make if (somewhat cough, cough) affordable for the average joe to get out there and field a privateer team and race alongside pro riders. GNCC is the same way, as are many other classes of moto and ATV racing. It's one of the few forms of grassroots motorsports racing left actually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I just wanted to note that the Remedy 29 performs awesomely with a Monarch + Debonair can -- especially when mated with a Pike up front. And SRAM made those available for the Remedy pretty quickly.
    True enough. What model year do you have? I've got the 15, and it is a very good shock, but suffers a bit from excessive high speed compression damping, which SRAM stated was addressed for 16.

It can be retrofitted by SRAM, but honestly, the Reaktives on both my Fuel EX and Remedy have been so good and so solid this year, that I haven't bothered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have seen a monarch debonair for remedy 29- I own one, but have NOT seen a monarch plus (piggyback) shock for remedy 29.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

mtbr member
    Really don't understand why they removed full floater.

top fuel (full floater) ,
    fuel ex (full floater) ,
    remedy (full floater) ,
    slash (no full floater) ,
    session (full floater).....

They say full floater is better for short to mid travel bikes than what about session?
    2012 Trek Slash 9
    2012 Trek Session 9.9

Handmade in Switzerland
    I think removing the full floater on the slash is the first step of removing it on every platform as they mentioned in the interview.

"Why doesn’t the new Slash use Full Floater?

We developed Full Floater years ago to address performance constraints associated with the air shocks that were available at that time. Since then, mountain bike shocks have evolved. More dynamic and responsive dampers, along with more refined air springs like EVOL and Debonair, offer the performance benefits our engineers sought to achieve with Full Floater. Using a fixed lower shock mount opens up the lower frame area, giving us more opportunity to design stronger, stiffer frames and chainstays. This also gives us more flexibility to accommodate larger, more capable shocks. All of these effects are experienced most dramatically on long travel bikes, like the Slash."

Quote Originally Posted by CaRaBeeN View Post
    Really don't understand why they removed full floater.

top fuel (full floater) ,
    fuel ex (full floater) ,
    remedy (full floater) ,
    slash (no full floater) ,
    session (full floater).....

They say full floater is better for short to mid travel bikes than what about session?

is RAD

2017 Trek Slash details

Yeah, I think (air) shocks are so good now that the cons of the full floater - weight and packaging - outweigh the benefits.

Back on topic, the new slash looks wicked, and I imagine it is going to be an absolute monster truck of a bike.

Grand Master Jedi
    WOOMP, THERE IT IS! I'm super-impressed... This looks like quite the Speed Weapon.

Love the shorter chainstays (though I was hoping for sub 17"(430) length.

I'm happy they fully optimized around no-front-derailleur. I think the additional frame stiffness and wheel travel were worth it.

I'm VERY happy it's 150/160 travel... That should be plenty for some real speed!

I'm glad they skipped +Size compatibility... I think they covered that ground with the EX and they certainly don't need it here.

Anything that you all think is missing?

I even like the color...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    are 2017 Sessions out yet? Could be heading the way of no floater going by this bike?

Pretty bummed its a $7k bike tho for 9.8, I thought $6k was steep for my 9.8 remedy (in AUD) But its super well spec'd

Looks fast in pictures, and sounds fast on paper.
    I wonder what it will climb like compared to a 2015-16 remedy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So this is the 29 remedy with a single pivot rear. Same travel and same head angle (as RSL). Interesting.

Free your heel...
    I bet this thing is going to be a pig on the climbs, just like the 27.5 Slash.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @ benyl: Slash 29 is not at all a Remedy 29 -- different geometry all around, slacker and lower: HA is much slacker @ 65.1; rear travel is 150, rather than 140; CS is shorter.

And, of course, this frame is much stouter. It would be a blast to race, for sure, but I'm very happy with my alu Remedy 29 frame built the way I want it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    @ benyl: Slash 29 is not at all a Remedy 29 -- different geometry all around, slacker and lower: HA is much slacker @ 65.1; rear travel is 150, rather than 140; CS is shorter.

And, of course, this frame is much stouter. It would be a blast to race, for sure, but I'm very happy with my alu Remedy 29 frame built the way I want it.
    It's a 2017 Remedy 29. Look at the specs of the RSL model. http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bi...p/1191600-2017

65 head angle. 150 travel in the rear. 160 in the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    are 2017 Sessions out yet? Could be heading the way of no floater going by this bike?

Pretty bummed its a $7k bike tho for 9.8, I thought $6k was steep for my 9.8 remedy (in AUD) But its super well spec'd

Looks fast in pictures, and sounds fast on paper.
    I wonder what it will climb like compared to a 2015-16 remedy?
    9.8 was 5500
    9.9 was 9000

per my shop.
    Too Many .

mtbr member

2017 Fuel is the "New" old Remedy
    2017 Remedy is the "Old" Remedy
    2017 Slash is the "old" Remedy 29er with updated Geo

I think we can thank the Trek EWS team for this push.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    It's a 2017 Remedy 29. Look at the specs of the RSL model. Remedy 9.9 Race Shop Limited | Trek Bikes

65 head angle. 150 travel in the rear. 160 in the front.

Specs being posted online.
    9.8 is X1, Pike fork, Super Deluze RC3 shock
    Specs for 9.8 from Trek. RockShox Lyrik RC fork. Same shock. 130/160
    9.9 is eagle, Fox 36 fork. Fox X2 shock

Both Bikes have Guide brakes, that sucks.

They did say ( still wanting for suspension companies to update it) the new 230x57.5 will be a new standard. Meaning is it possible Trek went away with the Trek only odd shock sizing? Fox hasn't released the updated shock sizes yet on their site.

I am a little sad on the 150mm travel rear end. I mean they built a more aggressive Remedy 29er.
    I would like to see how parkable the Slash will be and if you can go back to 27.5 on the bike
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    9.8 was 5500
    9.9 was 9000

per my shop.
    Sadly, I think LinkyPinky87 is dealing with Aussie dollars!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Reaktiv out back?

This bike looks bomber, but I'd hate to lose the climbing ability of my beloved 15 Remedy 29er.

Probably way more bike than I need, anyway.

mtbr member

Sadly, I think LinkyPinky87 is dealing with Aussie dollars!
    maybe. I just look at Trek's site.
    US has the Slash 9.8 listed at 7k and the old Slash 27.5 in the picture along with specs.
    Last night it was listed at the old number 5499
    they only have 9 in stock in size 19.5 still

Picking the correct bike and wheel size is a ***** right now lol
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    maybe. I just look at Trek's site.
    Nope, no maybe. His post said AUD. I don't think looking at Trek's US website will help him much.

mtbr member

Nope, no maybe. His post said AUD. I don't think looking at Trek's US website will help him much.
    ah. but as of 30 secs ago treks site
    Slash 9.8
    $7,099.99

last night
    Slash 9.8
    $5,499

same bike and specs posted
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ah. but as of 30 secs ago treks site
    Slash 9.8
    $7,099.99

last night
    Slash 9.8
    $5,499

same bike and specs posted
    No Slash 29er posted on Trek's Australian website, yet.

mtbr member
    No Slash 29er posted on Trek's Australian website, yet.
    nor the us
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This bike is sick, but I remain perplexed by everything Trek is doing. Unless you loved your Remedy 27.5 or Fuel 29er, Trek no longer makes anything very close to what you want. At about 66.3 degrees, the HA on my Remedy is about as slack as I want to go for a trail-able bike. I don't care if a bike isn't a great climber, but at 65.5 degrees I suspect this thing is a punishment going uphill, and that wheelbase would make my local rides pretty challenging in the twisties.

If I could afford a dedicated downhill bike this would bear serious consideration, but it may be too single focus for my AM use-case.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    nor the us
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Trek?s New Slash 29 Enduro Weapon ? Flow Mountain Bike

Australian website/reviewers

There are going to be two models of the Slash coming to Australia, both using the same carbon frame. The 9.9 pictured here, with SRAM Eagle 12-speed and a FOX X2/36 suspension package for $8999, or for $6999 you can pick up the Slash 9.8 with a RockShox suspension package and SRAM GX drivetrain.

Edit* however this is RRP...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Ouch. I feel your pain.

Is the extra coin driven by exchange rates, import duties (taxes) or a combination of both?

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This is pretty much what I expected the new Rmemdy to be and on paper it looks pretty awesome. Infortunately I don't see me trading out my 2016 Rmemdy for one having trimmed down my collection of FS bikes to just one do it all. The climbing wouldn't concern me too much but twisty flat single track would be less fun with that HA and wheelbase which I can attest to from when I have my Nomad 3.

Fuel EX and Slash would be a great two bike quiver combination.

Cassoulet forever !
    Why a Pike and not a Liryk on the Slash ?

This is a pure Enduro-race bike. I live in the alps, but will keep my 16 Remedy to be able to climb before descending !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Someone get the calculator out...

If the fork is dropped to 130mm for "climbing" stages, where is the head angle at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    Why a Pike and not a Liryk on the Slash ?

This is a pure Enduro-race bike. I live in the alps, but will keep my 16 Remedy to be able to climb before descending !
    give it time.

Trek's website is all jacked up right now.

Online specs show a Pike.
    Trek specs show a Lyrik

Trek's pricing on the site list the current Slash 9.8 at 7k. That's not the real price. 2 days ago it was 5499
    Too Many .

Grand Master Jedi
    ***ALL PRICES IN USD***

2017 SLASH 9.8 29 = $5499.99
    -RS Lyric 130/160 Fork
    -RS Super Deluxe Shock
    -Alloy rims
    -X1 11 speed drivetrain

2017 SLASH RSL 29 = $8999.99
    -Fox TALAS 36 (130/160)
    -Fox X2 Shock
    -Line XXX carbon wheelset
    -X01 Eagle 12 speed drivetrain

2017 SLASH 9.8 FRAMESET = $3699.99
    -Frame with X2 Shock, Headset and special stem for knock-block.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorAddict View Post
    ***ALL PRICES IN USD***

2017 SLASH 9.8 29 = $5499.99
    -RS Lyric 130/160 Fork
    -RS Super Deluxe Shock
    -Alloy rims
    -X1 11 speed drivetrain

2017 SLASH RSL 29 = $8999.99
    -Fox TALAS 36 (130/160)
    -Fox X2 Shock
    -Line XXX carbon wheelset
    -X01 Eagle 12 speed drivetrain

2017 SLASH 9.8 FRAMESET = $3699.99
    -Frame with X2 Shock, Headset and special stem for knock-block.
    \

Yeap,
    Trek's site updated again today to the correct prices for the current listed models.
    Someone over there needs more Coffee
    Too Many .

Handmade in Switzerland
    Is this the dealer site you mentioned? Do you see the colour of the Slash 29 9.8

Thx!

\

Yeap,
    Trek's site updated again today to the correct prices for the current listed models.
    Someone over there needs more Coffee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    Is this the dealer site you mentioned? Do you see the colour of the Slash 29 9.8

Thx!

site went back to the high price and I have no idea why

as I type this. Trek's web site list the 2016 Slash 9.8 the blue on
    Slash 9.8
    $7,099.99

a few hours ago it was back at 5499

Not sure what's going on but it's kind of funny.
    Site lists the current 9.9, 9.8 and 8
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi!

Any Trek website with the 2017 Slash full spec? couldn't find it on Trek's US/CA/UK/AUS site.

mtbr member
    Hi!

Any Trek website with the 2017 Slash full spec? couldn't find it on Trek's US/CA/UK/AUS site.
    No,

EWS Riders are getting the bikes by the end of this month
    LBS are getting the bikes in September. I guess Trek's website may be updated with in anytime from now and Aug when they fully release the bike
    Too Many .

Grand Master Jedi
    Hi!

UPDATE 1: FORK SPEC CORRECTED TO LYRIC

2017 Slash 9.8 29:
    -RockShox Lyric RC, Dual Position Air, Charger damper, E2 tapered steerer, Boost110, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 130mm/160mm travel
    -RockShox Super Deluxe RC3, 230x57.5mm

-SRAM X1 11-speed drivetrain
    --10-42 Cassette
    --32T X1 chainring
    --X1 Rear Mech
    --X1 shifter

-Bontrager Line Comp 30 Wheels, Tubeless Ready, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear

-Guide R brakes

-Bontrager Drop Line 125, under-bar remote lever, 2-bolt head, 31.6mm, zero offset, internal routing

-Bontrager’s Line cockpit
    --Line Handlebar, 780mm width, 27.5mm rise
    --FSA Headset Knock Block IS-2, E2, sealed alloy cartridge
    --Bontrager Line, Knock Block, 35mm, 0 degree
    --Bontrager Rhythm, dual lock-on

-Bontrager SE4 Team Issue Tires, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 29x2.40"

$5,500 USD

2017 Slash 9.9 RSL 29 (RSL stands for Race Shop Limited)

-Fox Factory 36 Talas, high/low speed compression adjust, E2 tapered steerer, Boost110, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 130/160mm travel

-Fox Factory Float X2, 2-position damper, high/low speed rebound adjust, high/low speed compression adjust, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 230x57.5mm

-SRAM's 12-speed Eagle group
    --10-50 Rear Cassette
    --Eagle 32T chainring
    --Eagle Mech
    --Eagle Chain

-Bontrager's Line Elite 30 Wheels, Tubeless Ready, 54T Rapid Drive, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear

-SRAM Guide Ultimate carbon hydraulic disc

-Bontrager Line Pro cockpit
    --Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35mm, 27.5mm rise, 780mm width
    --FSA Knock Block IS-2, E2, sealed alloy cartridge
    --Bontrager Line Pro Stem, Knock Block, 35mm, 0 degree

-Bontrager Drop Line 125 Seatpost, under-bar remote lever, 2-bolt head, 31.6mm, zero offset, internal routing

-Bontrager SE4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 29x2.40"

$9,000

2017 Slash 29 Frameset (frame, Fox X2 shock, headset)
    $3,700

Some other notes:

Frame:
    OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame & 1x-specific stays, ABP, Boost148, Knock Block steerer stop, EVO link, E2 tapered head tube, Mino Link, Control Freak internal routing, Carbon Armor, PF92, ISCG 05, G2 Geometry, 150mm travel
    Last edited by RaptorAddict; 07-21-2016 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    2017 Slash 9.8 29:
    -RockShox Pike RC, Dual Position Air, Charger damper, E2 tapered steerer, Boost110, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 130mm/160mm travel
    -RockShox Super Deluxe RC3, 230x57.5mm

-SRAM X1 11-speed drivetrain
    --10-42 Cassette
    --32T X1 chainring
    --X1 Rear Mech
    --X1 shifter

-Bontrager Line Comp 30 Wheels, Tubeless Ready, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear

-Guide R brakes

-Bontrager Drop Line 125, under-bar remote lever, 2-bolt head, 31.6mm, zero offset, internal routing

-Bontrager’s Line cockpit
    --Line Handlebar, 780mm width, 27.5mm rise
    --FSA Headset Knock Block IS-2, E2, sealed alloy cartridge
    --Bontrager Line, Knock Block, 35mm, 0 degree

-Bontrager SE4 Team Issue Tires, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 29x2.40"

$5,500 USD

2017 Slash 9.9 RSL 29 (RSL stands for Race Shop Limited)

-Fox Factory 36 Talas, high/low speed compression adjust, E2 tapered steerer, Boost110, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 130/160mm travel

-Fox Factory Float X2, 2-position damper, high/low speed rebound adjust, high/low speed compression adjust, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 230x57.5mm

-SRAM's 12-speed Eagle group
    --10-50 Rear Cassette
    --Eagle 32T chainring
    --Eagle Mech
    --Eagle Chain

-Bontrager's Line Elite 30 Wheels, Tubeless Ready, 54T Rapid Drive, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear

-SRAM Guide Ultimate carbon hydraulic disc

-Bontrager Line Pro cockpit
    --Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35mm, 27.5mm rise, 780mm width
    --FSA Knock Block IS-2, E2, sealed alloy cartridge
    --Bontrager Line Pro Stem, Knock Block, 35mm, 0 degree

-Bontrager Drop Line 125 Seatpost, under-bar remote lever, 2-bolt head, 31.6mm, zero offset, internal routing

-Bontrager SE4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 29x2.40"

$9,000
    don't be too sure on that 9.8 fork

Online specs (Not through Trek's site) is a Pike
    Trek at a LBS specs is a Lyrik
    Too Many .

Grand Master Jedi
    don't be too sure on that 9.8 fork

Online specs (Not through Trek's site) is a Pike
    Trek at a LBS specs is a Lyrik
    Actually you are correct... should have typed Lyric. I was copy/pasting from their original Excel file that had all the specs. Definitely a Lyric RC DP

mtbr member
    Weight of the frameset?

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by barbasma View Post
    Weight of the frameset?
    No official spec yet... I'm betting 7lbs @ size medium, but could be easily 6.5lbs

For comparison sake, Evil's 'The Wreckoning' is 6.7lbs, and I doubt this will be much lighter. I'd be buying an XL which will probably be closer to 7.5lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The first trek that has caught my eye in years/ever. Not digging the bb height or the Talas fork though ...and the frame price is silly.

mtbr member
    Colour of the 9.8 is Matte black
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2017 Trek Slash 9.9 RSL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    The first trek that has caught my eye in years/ever. Not digging the bb height or the Talas fork though ...and the frame price is silly.
    I couldn't agree more. That's some boutique manufacturer pricing on that thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    I think removing the full floater on the slash is the first step of removing it on every platform as they mentioned in the interview.

"Why doesn’t the new Slash use Full Floater?

We developed Full Floater years ago to address performance constraints associated with the air shocks that were available at that time. Since then, mountain bike shocks have evolved. More dynamic and responsive dampers, along with more refined air springs like EVOL and Debonair, offer the performance benefits our engineers sought to achieve with Full Floater. Using a fixed lower shock mount opens up the lower frame area, giving us more opportunity to design stronger, stiffer frames and chainstays. This also gives us more flexibility to accommodate larger, more capable shocks. All of these effects are experienced most dramatically on long travel bikes, like the Slash."
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I wonder why they didn't eliminate it from the Fuel EX and/or the remedy.... both of which had an extensive redesign this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That's a very good question.

Grand Master Jedi
    What about the BB height and talas fork bothers you? Just curious...

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I wonder why they didn't eliminate it from the Fuel EX and/or the remedy.... both of which had an extensive redesign this year.
    Those bikes need different spring-curves for the type of riding they are intended for... The full-floater helps to add some progressivity to the end of the stroke while allowing a flatter initial stroke. I think the type of shocks being used on these bikes match with this type kinematic system.

The Slash 29 however is using a more DH oriented shock, and therefore has different required kinematics to achieve the desired ride quality.

I'd also add that the frame price isn't all that crazy when you consider the nature of the bike and shock. That shock alone retails for $600, and they also include a headset and stem, so my guess is that a similar frame would be close to the same price if you speccd it in a similar way.

Also, Trek does NOT want people to buy this as a frameset... they make WAY more money if you buy the whole bike. Specialized did the same thing with the Enduro 29r when it came out, and after a couple years they dropped the price.

Personally, I wish they would offer something between the 9.8 and 9.9 RSL. I think something in between these two price-points would be great, but I doubt they'll do anything this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What about the BB height and talas fork bothers you? Just curious...

TheBb would need to be a smidgen lower to suite my taste otherwise I find my self having to use the dropper in the corners more frequently. Vital has an interview with Trek discussing their reasoning but I have the same nee--pedalling through rock Gardens --and would still want the cornering of a low bb.

I just onto think dual position Forks work as well as single position Forks an

Grand Master Jedi
    TheBb would need to be a smidgen lower to suite my taste otherwise I find my self having to use the dropper in the corners more frequently. Vital has an interview with Trek discussing their reasoning but I have the same nee--pedalling through rock Gardens --and would still want the cornering of a low bb.

I just onto think dual position Forks work as well as single position Forks an
    Ah OK!

Yeah, I'm glad they offer the flip-chip because around here I need a HIGH bottom bracket for all the rock gardens that I pedal through. The super-low BB craze is making it hard for me to find my next bike! I rode a Pivot Switchblade and I was smashing pedals all over the place even after an hour and a half of getting used to the bike... LOW BB's are great if the terrain/trails work with it, but around here its a real issue.

Agree on the Travel-adjust forks not being as good... I'm hoping the new TALAS design is better, but its never going to be as supple as a similar FLOAT design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2017 Trek Slash details

I am curios about first ride. What I don't understand,is dual position fork. Current 29er bikes like Spec Enduro, BMC Trailfox,Evil,Niner etc,don't run dual position and climb really well. I would like,Slash 29 was and all around bike,not only a "small DH"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    I am curios about first ride. What I don't understand,is dual position fork. Current 29er bikes like Spec Enduro, BMC Trailfox,Evil,Niner etc,don't run dual position and climb really well. I would like,Slash 29 was and all around bike,not only a "small DH"
    The dual fork is nice for climbing
    it sucks doing any type of longish or tech climbing with a 160 travel fork

I am waiting for them to come to my area for a demo, It's either a Remedy or the Slash i want but not sure how well a 29er bike will do in park over the 27.5 a few times a year
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2017 Trek Slash details

I own a Spec enduro 29 and climbs really well,without any help. I can say,with Spec enduro yo can ride an Enduro race,go to bike park and just ride any type of MTB
    It's an all around bike,plus 29ers climb better than small sizes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    I own a Spec enduro 29 and climbs really well,without any help. I can say,with Spec enduro yo can ride an Enduro race,go to bike park and just ride any type of MTB
    It's an all around bike,plus 29ers climb better than small sizes
    Friend has that same bike.
    also has(had) a slash. Slash climbed better more so when locking the fork down to 130.

29er's do climb smoother

Just gotta wait for the demo to roll through lol
    i hate waiting
    Too Many .

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Friend has that same bike.
    also has(had) a slash. Slash climbed better more so when locking the fork down to 130.

29er's do climb smoother

Just gotta wait for the demo to roll through lol
    i hate waiting
    I came from a Nomad 3 to a Remedy 29er and can say the Remedy feels just as capable with a 160mm fork and rides far better as a trail bike. I have a DPA Pike and to start with didn't use the drop option having been used to climbing with a 170mm 36 on the Nomad but now I use it a fair bit and find it really useful on longer climbs.

For or me the larger wheels do it in all aspects of riding and find the bike more confidence inspiring that my Nomad. If you're looking to use it for less trail orientated riding then the Slash would be a great option. You have your Procal for trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-X View Post
    I came from a Nomad 3 to a Remedy 29er and can say the Remedy feels just as capable with a 160mm fork and rides far better as a trail bike. I have a DPA Pike and to start with didn't use the drop option having been used to climbing with a 170mm 36 on the Nomad but now I use it a fair bit and find it really useful on longer climbs.

For or me the larger wheels do it in all aspects of riding and find the bike more confidence inspiring that my Nomad. If you're looking to use it for less trail orientated riding then the Slash would be a great option. You have your Procal for trails.
    Mt procal is my training/race bike
    I'm waiting for the Stache's to be released to see if thats my next trail bike
    I want a 160mm bike for everythng to park riding. just not sure if I want 27.5 or 29er
    I liked my 2015 Slash I had. was a blast to ride
    Too Many .

Grand Master Jedi
    Any opinions on whether or not this Slash would make a good trail bike?

What do you guys & gals think? Could you push this uphill or would you rather ride a Fuel EX 29r?

I'm 220lbs and I regularly do some 4-5ft drops but most of what i ride is super technical East Coast trails... is this bike too much for that sort of terrain or would it be reasonable to give it a try?

I know this is total speculation, but I'm curious what yall think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What do you guys & gals think? Could you push this uphill or would you rather ride a Fuel EX 29r?

I'm 220lbs and I regularly do some 4-5ft drops but most of what i ride is super technical East Coast trails... is this bike too much for that sort of terrain or would it be reasonable to give it a try?

In your shoes, in your location, I'd go with the FEX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

I think that if you 220lbs, do 4-5ft drop and super technical trails than the Slash will fit just fine for you because this bike is an enduro machine, and enduro means uphills, some are even steep. I guess that's why the Slash is carbon only.
    I do think you must try it in a demo day.

BTW, did any of you guys ride this monster and can share first imperssions?

Mo.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast