Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Results 2,801 to 2,847 of 2847
  1. #2801
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,806
    has anyone been able to fit 27.5x3" tires on the front and back of the Fuels?
    If so, what tires?
    Too Many .

  2. #2802
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    9
    I just tried putting an AB 32 oval on my ex 8 and it wouldn't fit kept hitting the chainstay. I've read people talk of using them any ideas how to get it to work? Thanks in advance.

  3. #2803
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyUpright View Post
    I just tried putting an AB 32 oval on my ex 8 and it wouldn't fit kept hitting the chainstay. I've read people talk of using them any ideas how to get it to work? Thanks in advance.
    I put a 32 wolf tooth on with no issues. I'm a complete noob at this, son it sure why mine was fine and yours is hitting?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  4. #2804
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    I put a 32 wolf tooth on with no issues. I'm a complete noob at this, son it sure why mine was fine and yours is hitting?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Different oval profile. The AB is more aggressive.
    Was the AB ring a boost ring?
    Too Many .

  5. #2805
    SS in CO
    Reputation: Jayson44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnHi9.8 View Post
    I ride mine at Trestle Park in Colorado and had a blast! Drop the seat all the way, switch it to Low position and go shred! I hit a bunch of black diamond runs and handled them nicely. I'd probably stay away from the really chunky stuff, we rented some dh bikes for those. I run Minion DHR/DHF and had no issues
    nice! I've been wondering about Trestle...was thinking of borrowing a 150 fork and putting it in the low setting. I've neve been to Trestle before, so I'd have to find the flow trails vs the gnar...

    J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

  6. #2806
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    nice! I've been wondering about Trestle...was thinking of borrowing a 150 fork and putting it in the low setting. I've neve been to Trestle before, so I'd have to find the flow trails vs the gnar...

    J.
    I'd love to try a 150mm on my EX, sounds fun. I personally haven't taken my bike off the low setting since I changed it. I love the extra playfulness and don't mind the position for climbing.

    Based on what a couple of you said, I think I'll be testing out my EX9 at Seven Springs in a few weeks. (I can always get a DH rig for half day if I feel the need). I need to decide if I'm going to put a Minion up front ASAP or put more miles on my Nobby Nic.

  7. #2807
    SS in CO
    Reputation: Jayson44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    484
    I just put a Minion on the front of mine last week and it's worlds better than the XR3 that was on there. running an Ardent 2.4 in the rear.

    J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

  8. #2808
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    Sounds like you got it going!

    I converted to 1x also and like it. For the tubeless, did you just get some sealant and valves? Am I correct in assuming it comes with rim strips already in the wheel? I havent taken mine apart yet to check. I would imagine you likely lose 1/2 lb or so going tubeless?
    Yep, just sealant and valves. Bontrager TLR brand of both. Rim strips were preinstalled on the rims. I just used a normal bike pump and they inflated perfectly first try. I read somewhere it saves 12oz, but who knows what that took into account.

  9. #2809
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan View Post
    Yep, just sealant and valves. Bontrager TLR brand of both. Rim strips were preinstalled on the rims. I just used a normal bike pump and they inflated perfectly first try. I read somewhere it saves 12oz, but who knows what that took into account.
    Many thanks! Going to order the valves and sealant


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #2810
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    Many thanks! Going to order the valves and sealant


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Also, i used the small 3oz bottles of sealant because they squirt directly into the valve stem. No need for a syringe. The bottle says to use one bottle per mountain bike tire, but the shop mechanic said he uses two bottles per tire. I split the different and used 3 bottles for the two tires. After about a week and a few rides, i don't hear much sloshing around any more so maybe its drying up. So i'd get a few bottles at least if you go with the small ones.

  11. #2811
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    5
    Looks like you guys can help me. I am looking to buy the Fuel EX 8 at my LBS. They have demos going for a song right now. They have only the 17.5 and 19.5. I'm 5' 10.5' with a true inseam of about 32.5". Seems i'm in the sweet spot for the 18.5 but on the low end for the 19.5. They don't have 18.5 demos on sale. I've only ridden the 17.5 thus far as the 19.5 was out...then it sold. They are bringing in another Fuel EX 8 19.5 demo for me to test ride next week. When I rode the 17.5 it felt OK but I really don't know squat because I'm coming from a 20 year old Gary Fisher hard tail. The geometry felt different but nice so I didn't take the size into account...yet. Now I see that the 17.5 is technically too small for me. Is the 19.5 going to be too big?

  12. #2812
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk330 View Post
    Looks like you guys can help me. I am looking to buy the Fuel EX 8 at my LBS. They have demos going for a song right now. They have only the 17.5 and 19.5. I'm 5' 10.5' with a true inseam of about 32.5". Seems i'm in the sweet spot for the 18.5 but on the low end for the 19.5. They don't have 18.5 demos on sale. I've only ridden the 17.5 thus far as the 19.5 was out...then it sold. They are bringing in another Fuel EX 8 19.5 demo for me to test ride next week. When I rode the 17.5 it felt OK but I really don't know squat because I'm coming from a 20 year old Gary Fisher hard tail. The geometry felt different but nice so I didn't take the size into account...yet. Now I see that the 17.5 is technically too small for me. Is the 19.5 going to be too big?
    I'm 5'10.75 and I ride an 2017 EX9 18.5. I came from a 19.5 Superfly. I have demo'd a 2016 17.5. In my opinion - 19.5 should be fine. Ride it around when it comes in and make sure its comfy and you get your weight back. Maybe look into a shorter stem for a better fit and see what the shop guys think (who may be on the side of talking you into buying it). The 19.5 could make the bike more effort to jump and hop around - probably only slightly - I bet pedaling will feel fine. 17.5 would feel okay a lot of the time, but it would probably suck for climbing / pedaling in saddle.

    I'd rather pay extra than have a poor fitting bike, so definitely get on the 19.5. Its hard to pass up nice demo deals, but still. The 2018 EX8 looks like a great value and maybe there are remedies you can look at as well.

  13. #2813
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
    I'm 5'10.75 and I ride an 2017 EX9 18.5. I came from a 19.5 Superfly. I have demo'd a 2016 17.5. In my opinion - 19.5 should be fine. Ride it around when it comes in and make sure its comfy and you get your weight back. Maybe look into a shorter stem for a better fit and see what the shop guys think (who may be on the side of talking you into buying it). The 19.5 could make the bike more effort to jump and hop around - probably only slightly - I bet pedaling will feel fine. 17.5 would feel okay a lot of the time, but it would probably suck for climbing / pedaling in saddle.

    I'd rather pay extra than have a poor fitting bike, so definitely get on the 19.5. Its hard to pass up nice demo deals, but still. The 2018 EX8 looks like a great value and maybe there are remedies you can look at as well.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at $2100 for the bikes and they are barely used which is making this hard to pass up. $2K was about the budget figure in my head and I never thought I could get a $3300 bike for so cheap. Where I'm struggling is that I don't have a baseline since coming from a 20 year old bike. New bikes these days are incredible but obviously are going to feel very different to me. I'll give it a ride around and hop and jump what I can..there are curbs, medians, stairs and some gravely rocks in the parking lot. I may try to check it out and take it to a trail if I can't be convinced in the parking lot. Thanks for your feedback and insight!

  14. #2814
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,730
    Are the plastic and recycled beer can frames absolutely identical dimensions? They were not with Remedy 29s.

    At 5'10" and shrinking my 18.5 frame only (same as 9.9) build with 50 mm stem is a great fit. Our Remedy 29 9 is a 19 size with 60 mm stem.

    My advice is don't get the wrong fit for a bargain price. My wife and our teens share 4 bikes about the same size. We have smaller and larger bikes. They range from a barely Deore spec hard tail through the 9.9 Fuel EX. When we are 3-4 or 5 of us sharing bikes I take a heavier far less special bike with the right fit every time over a better bike. Maybe it's riding style or type of terrain but feeling right on the bike is way more important than saving weight or fancier parts.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  15. #2815
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Are the plastic and recycled beer can frames absolutely identical dimensions? They were not with Remedy 29s.

    Per the specs on their website the Top Fuel EX 9.9 looks to be the same size/specs at the EX 8.

  16. #2816
    CXK
    CXK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    82
    My wife picked up a Fuel Ex 7 a few weeks ago. She can't quite take advantage of the dropper post since her seat won't go any lower than it is in this picture. Is this really the lowest it goes into the frame? I have the Fuel Ex 8, I need to just see if mine goes lower but I really don't want to lose the perfect seat position I've had lol. Her frame is a 17.5 if that helps.
    2017 Fuel EX Official Post-img_3805.jpg
    MTB: 2017 Trek Fuel Ex 8 29er
    Road/Fitness: 2017 Trek FX 2
    Past: 2016 Trek Marlin 5

  17. #2817
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    has anyone been able to fit 27.5x3" tires on the front and back of the Fuels?
    If so, what tires?
    Duro Miners fit fine on the stock Duroc rims. Tons of traction and pretty light too.

  18. #2818
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyUpright View Post
    I just tried putting an AB 32 oval on my ex 8 and it wouldn't fit kept hitting the chainstay. I've read people talk of using them any ideas how to get it to work? Thanks in advance.
    Plus or 29er? I think the 32t works on the Shimano crank but not the Sram. A 32t definitely won't fit on my plus, 30t just clears. The Shimano must be spaced a bit further out.

  19. #2819
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zgxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    258
    I'm nearing my first 30 Hour interval on my EX9 and thus will need to service the Fox fork and shock.

    What all do I need for this?

  20. #2820
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    Plus or 29er? I think the 32t works on the Shimano crank but not the Sram. A 32t definitely won't fit on my plus, 30t just clears. The Shimano must be spaced a bit further out.
    The shimano spacing is much better for 1x conversion for ovals on the 29er. I'm pretty sure a 34t oval could fit easily.

  21. #2821
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by CXK View Post
    My wife picked up a Fuel Ex 7 a few weeks ago. She can't quite take advantage of the dropper post since her seat won't go any lower than it is in this picture. Is this really the lowest it goes into the frame? I have the Fuel Ex 8, I need to just see if mine goes lower but I really don't want to lose the perfect seat position I've had lol. Her frame is a 17.5 if that helps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3805.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	1151713
    You can see where the seat tube bends/the rocker pivot passes through the frame. It appears that there isn't much seat tube.

    How much drop does the post have? I'm guessing you'll end up running a post with minimal (100mm or less) drop


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #2822
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    You can see where the seat tube bends/the rocker pivot passes through the frame. It appears that there isn't much seat tube.

    How much drop does the post have? I'm guessing you'll end up running a post with minimal (100mm or less) drop


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know that dropper model but have had associates change droppers up or down a size (length) for ideal fit. For new bikes some got credit or the dealer did the swap no charge.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  23. #2823
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    13
    Does the ex9.8 come with a 50 or 60mm stem in 19.5?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #2824
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    5
    Recommendations for a decent mountain bike SPD pedal that has some sort of platform (so I can ride around the hood w/ my kids and not need my shoes/cleats). Preferably black in color to match the bike. Go....

  25. #2825
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zgxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk330 View Post
    Recommendations for a decent mountain bike SPD pedal that has some sort of platform (so I can ride around the hood w/ my kids and not need my shoes/cleats. Preferably black in color to match the bike. Go....
    I'm using the iSSi Triple Trail on mine and it's worked really well.

  26. #2826
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    450
    Yesterday i installed a Rockshox maxle rear bolt-on rear axle. It was the "Trek ABP 195mm" version. Fit and works great. Saved some weight and cleaned things up nicely for $20 on ebay.

  27. #2827
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    54
    Anyone with a 29er convert the Fox 34 from 130mm to 140mm by changing the air shaft assy?

    - Would this change the HA?

    - My guess is no since it seems like this conversion is all internal. But may the fork still lengthens? It would be cool to get a ~66.5* HA on top of more travel for aggressive riding. I'm definitely not ready to spend $900+ on a new 140-150mm fork so the conversion sounds like an excellent option either way.

  28. #2828
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
    Anyone with a 29er convert the Fox 34 from 130mm to 140mm by changing the air shaft assy?

    - Would this change the HA?

    - My guess is no since it seems like this conversion is all internal. But may the fork still lengthens? It would be cool to get a ~66.5* HA on top of more travel for aggressive riding. I'm definitely not ready to spend $900+ on a new 140-150mm fork so the conversion sounds like an excellent option either way.
    Yes, it changes the head angle approximately .6 degrees. I converted my 9.9 (29er) to 140 up front the first day I got it and ran it in the low setting 100% of the time and it was incredible. BTW, I measured the HA five times with three different devices and came away with between 65.5 and 65.8 degrees in the low setting with a 140 Fox.

  29. #2829
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    83
    I am about to purchase a new 2017 Fuel ex7 but was curious about a few things. Can I change the Rockshox fork to 150mm of travel or is 140 the max I can go. Also can I change the stem out to another brand and just lose the built in bump stop?
    Thanks
    2011 Giant Reign

  30. #2830
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwhls View Post
    I am about to purchase a new 2017 Fuel ex7 but was curious about a few things. Can I change the Rockshox fork to 150mm of travel or is 140 the max I can go. Also can I change the stem out to another brand and just lose the built in bump stop?
    Thanks
    You can do 150mm
    I personally wouldn't.
    You can change out the stem to a non knock block stem with the kit people offer.
    I personally wouldn't.
    My reasons. Both those changes can void your warranty

    The 140fork is plenty for the fuel. Feels right
    The knock block doesn't effect your riding


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #2831
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    25
    Deleting my post as I found the answer

  32. #2832
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    5
    Crank boots...are they worth it? If so, is there a pair that best fits the EX8's SRAM GX 1000??

  33. #2833
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TermiLVR7 View Post
    Does the ex9.8 come with a 50 or 60mm stem in 19.5?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    60 mm

    Quote Originally Posted by mattk330 View Post
    Recommendations for a decent mountain bike SPD pedal that has some sort of platform (so I can ride around the hood w/ my kids and not need my shoes/cleats). Preferably black in color to match the bike. Go....
    I use m530 and even if they are not ment to be used without cleats, I found them quite comfy if I just go around the neibourhood... but there is better ones:
    Pedals

  34. #2834
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    201
    Hi.
    Just purchased a 2017 Fuel EX carbon frame 2nd hand at a great price. The frame has a hole in the underneath of the downtube that appears to be there for a reason... which I can't work out (Maybe to do with internal routing?). Is there meant to be a rubber bung / cover over this hole?
    Cheers
    Muz

    2017 Fuel EX Official Post-img_0091_zpsb3w9lhkr.jpg
    2017 Nicolai G13
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9
    2016 Evil The Following

  35. #2835
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TermiLVR7 View Post
    Does the ex9.8 come with a 50 or 60mm stem in 19.5?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    Hi.
    Just purchased a 2017 Fuel EX carbon frame 2nd hand at a great price. The frame has a hole in the underneath of the downtube that appears to be there for a reason... which I can't work out (Maybe to do with internal routing?). Is there meant to be a rubber bung / cover over this hole?
    Cheers
    Muz

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0091_zpsb3w9lhkr.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	1152925
    there is a plastic cap that is meant to be used as an attachment for the cables inside

  36. #2836
    J-5
    J-5 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    ^^^^THIS!!!!!!!!^^^^
    I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where the sound has been coming from for days on my Fuel EX. Had removed every bolt on the bike and lubed and basically every single moving part including the headset, BB and pedals trying to stop the noise with no luck. Finally today I dissassembled the rear of the bike totally removing the swing arm assembly. I cleaned the pivot points where kpdubbs circled in the pic and re-assembled..... boom baby!!!! It's quiet again. As many people that have had this creaking sound problem, I'd say address this problem BEFORE it becomes an issue on your Fuel EX. It needs lube anyway since it moves so much
    Now that you know what it is, is it necessary to disassemble the swing arm? I took the little chip off and lubed that area only (reverse thread) but that did not do the trick. I also don't see a torque recommendation, so maybe I was afraid to over tighten.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  37. #2837
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,806
    Those with Fuel that are 27.5+
    How aggressive of a trail have you takin it on? Any parks?

    Could it be a do it all bike?
    Too Many .

  38. #2838
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by J-5 View Post
    Now that you know what it is, is it necessary to disassemble the swing arm? I took the little chip off and lubed that area only (reverse thread) but that did not do the trick. I also don't see a torque recommendation, so maybe I was afraid to over tighten.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    IMO......yes. And here is why, there is a spacer in between the swingarm and frame and I took those off and cleaned the metal then put a light film of grease on both bike frame and swingarm and then the spacers. Re-assembled. No more noise. As for torque value... mine was stated on the pivot---17NM

  39. #2839
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    Hi.
    Just purchased a 2017 Fuel EX carbon frame 2nd hand at a great price. The frame has a hole in the underneath of the downtube that appears to be there for a reason... which I can't work out (Maybe to do with internal routing?). Is there meant to be a rubber bung / cover over this hole?
    Cheers
    Muz

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0091_zpsb3w9lhkr.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	1152925

    I've saved this as reference for the same part I need but it was also easy to make my own with some semi-hard vinyl or plastic. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

    My fix is running a zip tie through the soft piece of black plastic I cut out, around the cables, then through. Up close it's not as cute as the Trek part but works perfectly.

    2017 Fuel EX Official Post-aml9p7i.jpg
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  40. #2840
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Those with Fuel that are 27.5+
    How aggressive of a trail have you takin it on? Any parks?

    Could it be a do it all bike?
    I've ridden stock plus models on test rides and a Trek employee's plus model with different plus tires that said prototype. My bike is like a plus model via a140 fork but it is frame only version, a Pike, and 29r. DT wheels not quite as wide as the Line 30s.

    For now I'm not interested in the Chupacabra tires. From what I've seen and heard other plus tires are coming. Friends say XR3 and XR4 but my Bontrager-specific pal just says more plus tires are coming.

    I've ridden mine at two parks. I ride it in nasty old school greased sharp rock stuff. I'm not a go big guy but probably adventurous for an old guy. It might only be a 130/140 bike but I feel more confident doing about anything with it than my Transition Covert and our Remedy 29 that you could say are bigger travel bikes.

    Some younger more aggressive Trek employees I know ride Remedy and Slash for bike parks but Alex here rides a plus Fuel EX with the Line 30s and SE tires most of the time.

    Bontrager Line Pro Carbon wheelsets - Mtbr.com

    I would say this is up to the individual and how big they are or a riding. Some no doubt choose Remedy and Slash but some who love to go fast in all circumstances choose Fuel EX and ride big stuff.

    YMMV, but if my Transition Covert and Remedy 29 are AM or enduro bikes, I feel even more bring it on with the Fuel EX with Pike and SE tires. Keep in mind I'm only 5'10, shrinking, and barely 150 lbs.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  41. #2841
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,449
    Quote Originally Posted by J-5 View Post
    I took the little chip off and lubed that area only (reverse thread)...
    It is normal right-hand threads. If you are turning the bolt from the outside of the rocker, you're turning it from the opposite end of the head which might make you think it is left hand threads, but it's not.
    Do the math.

  42. #2842
    J-5
    J-5 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    It is normal right-hand threads. If you are turning the bolt from the outside of the rocker, you're turning it from the opposite end of the head which might make you think it is left hand threads, but it's not.
    Thanks Lone Ranger. When I'm on the non drivetrain side, I turn it counter clockwise to tighten (you are correct). There is a little cover on the crank side.
    This time I have decided to take it to my lbs, but one of these days I will have it torn apart in my garage while crying for forum help .

    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

  43. #2843
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I've ridden stock plus models on test rides and a Trek employee's plus model with different plus tires that said prototype. My bike is like a plus model via a140 fork but it is frame only version, a Pike, and 29r. DT wheels not quite as wide as the Line 30s.

    For now I'm not interested in the Chupacabra tires. From what I've seen and heard other plus tires are coming. Friends say XR3 and XR4 but my Bontrager-specific pal just says more plus tires are coming.

    I've ridden mine at two parks. I ride it in nasty old school greased sharp rock stuff. I'm not a go big guy but probably adventurous for an old guy. It might only be a 130/140 bike but I feel more confident doing about anything with it than my Transition Covert and our Remedy 29 that you could say are bigger travel bikes.

    Some younger more aggressive Trek employees I know ride Remedy and Slash for bike parks but Alex here rides a plus Fuel EX with the Line 30s and SE tires most of the time.

    Bontrager Line Pro Carbon wheelsets - Mtbr.com

    I would say this is up to the individual and how big they are or a riding. Some no doubt choose Remedy and Slash but some who love to go fast in all circumstances choose Fuel EX and ride big stuff.

    YMMV, but if my Transition Covert and Remedy 29 are AM or enduro bikes, I feel even more bring it on with the Fuel EX with Pike and SE tires. Keep in mind I'm only 5'10, shrinking, and barely 150 lbs.
    good to know

    The 2018 Plus bikes come with Nobby Nics
    The 9.8 Plus Fuel comes with DR Swiss M1900 40mm rims

    Seems for what I do. The fuel fits the best
    Too Many .

  44. #2844
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Those with Fuel that are 27.5+
    How aggressive of a trail have you takin it on? Any parks?

    Could it be a do it all bike?
    I've heard the 17 FEX's described as more 'Remedy' than the 16 and older Remedy's.
    No parks around here, but my 8+ makes this old fart feel like superman when hitting the downhill sections. I have changed the tires to Duro Miner 3.0's and went to 170mm cranks to lessen strikes in the rooty/rocky stuff. Both were $$ well spent. I haven't tried the low position yet...but tempted.

  45. #2845
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    I've heard the 17 FEX's described as more 'Remedy' than the 16 and older Remedy's.
    No parks around here, but my 8+ makes this old fart feel like superman when hitting the downhill sections. I have changed the tires to Duro Miner 3.0's and went to 170mm cranks to lessen strikes in the rooty/rocky stuff. Both were $$ well spent. I haven't tried the low position yet...but tempted.
    I don't know what that first part means. Some days I ride 2016 Remedy 29 and 2017 Fuel EX w 140 Pike back to back. They have same DT Swiss wheels and 2.4 SE4 tires. They're similar bikes. Remedy has a little more bb height and chain stay length. F EX can be lower and more slack.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

  46. #2846
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk330 View Post
    Crank boots...are they worth it? If so, is there a pair that best fits the EX8's SRAM GX 1000??
    I used them on my X1 crankset (cheap ebay ones), but they quickly gathered dirt in between them and the cranks, so had to take them off each time i cleaned my bike...

  47. #2847
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    8
    What Motobecane is most similar to the 17-18 generation of Fuel EX?

    Bought the '17 Fuel EX 8 a few months back after a ton of research of what would be best for me. I'm a newbie to having a halfway decent bike, so I don't know a lot, I just know that my choice has worked great for me and I have no regrets.

    Now I want my two teen boys to be able to sort of keep up with me and do the same terrain, be able to swap out for 29r, and not mess with a front derailleur because 1x11 is plenty good enough for what we would do. But I don't want to spend $3,200 each on fickle kids who might not take to the sport wholeheartedly.

    This is the bike I found on Bikes Direct.

    Save Up to 60% Off LTD QTYS of these 6 Inch / 140mm Travel Full Suspension 27.5Plus / Boost Mountain bikes 2018 Motobecane HAL Boost ELITE GX 27.5PLUS Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM GX 1x11 Speed SRAM Guide R Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox PIKE

    How close is this to my bike? Is there a closer one to my 8 on BD? Like I said, I'm a newbie. I put in hours and hours of research for my own purchase, but that was only enough to know what I needed, not become an expert on comparing one bike to another on the internet. Thanks for any feedback.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Fuel EX 29 Official Post
    By kosmo in forum Trek
    Replies: 1964
    Last Post: 50 Minutes Ago, 10:46 AM
  2. Post Your FUEL EX official post
    By efecto 0 in forum Trek
    Replies: 1158
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 06:37 PM
  3. Fuel EX 29er official post
    By stygz1 in forum Trek
    Replies: 815
    Last Post: 03-30-2017, 06:46 AM
  4. 2016 or 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8?
    By a6rnner in forum Trek
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-20-2016, 06:46 AM
  5. Mountain Cycle (official post)
    By TWISTED in forum Mountain Cycle
    Replies: 707
    Last Post: 07-14-2013, 01:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 680

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •