Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2016 Remedy talk.

I got a 2016 Remedy 9 29 after 3 seasons of trying them in different iterations as well as trying competitors. By different iterations I mean the same Remedy models with different wheel size, frame material, old shock, and "Reaktiv" shock. The demo bikes were mostly 9.8, a 9 in each wheel size, and one Remedy 7.

The Remedy really stood out when the new shock came out with 2015s and for the big wheels never seeming like any sort of a drawback.

The shock is kind of like having the best of a VPP, DW and Horst-type all in one and all at once. It's not the one moment firm (pedaling) and one moment soft (coasting) that stood out with some designs. It doesn't sink or wallow yet it's plush.

The purple's better than I thought, and I have no regrets for cancelling my original plan to get the composite frame. It's light, stuff, comfy. At least plenty light for me.

My wife's reaction to riding it says a lot. She doesn't care about specs, gear, parts, brands or weight - just some bikes are great. We're same height and I had a feeling the bike would do a lot for her getting back into riding. This morning she was perfectly happy riding a section of old school downhill trail she was otherwise hating.

Criticism would be their being cheapskates on some parts and terrible color choices unless you buy the frame only composite model. It's not a pure X1 group via the GX cassette. They don't give you their top tier tires as an example but the XR3 and 4 are really good. Some bikes in same league are giving you a top model Pike, and better crank along with the X1 1180 model cassette.

All in all a very interesting bike. It doesn't seem like too much or too little suspension the way some bikes came across. It's like it's watching your back when a Fuel EX goes flaky on you yet it doesn't feel too big or too squishy.

The 2016 Fox stuff is worth noting. I liked RockShox after several years of having Fox but the new Fox 34 is light, very stuff, and with great damping. It seems to hold you up well for the amount of plush. The new Fox fork and "boost" front wheel are really stiff and easy to control in nasty rock garden terrain.

The purple will never be as cool and seems poseur compared to my custom 1992 Fat Chance.

2016 Remedy talk.-remedy9-1.jpg
    Last edited by bitflogger; 08-17-2015 at 05:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice, I had ordered a Fuel but with stock issues and a deal i couldn't refuse I am picking up the Remedy 9 tomorrow. Can't wait to test it out and put up my thoughts as well.

What frame size did you get?
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 8 -Sold
    2016 Trek Remedy 9
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FLN75S View Post
    Nice, I had ordered a Fuel but with stock issues and a deal i couldn't refuse I am picking up the Remedy 9 tomorrow. Can't wait to test it out and put up my thoughts as well.

What frame size did you get?
    I got a 19. Most of my recent tests and some extended rides were the 9.8s sized 18.5 and 17.5 and they had last year's longer stem. I got another ride in before work this AM and that 1.5 hours helped me make more decisions about fit. I want more rise in the bars or might go from the 0 deg 60 mm to 7 deg 50 mm stem or similar to Bontrager with those specs.

As far as fit, my wife and I are 5'10 and we're both happy with it.

Very interesting that you have such similar bikes or maybe sold the new Fuel EX you had listed. I thought Slash was a lot more like Remedy earlier but that's when I was trying 650s more.

mtbr member
    I never got the Fuel EX i had ordered there was an unfortunate mix up with stock and i didn't end up getting it. Had to wait until end of November. I was keen to get the Fuel because I already have the long travel Slash however when they offered me the Remedy at the same price I could not refuse and to be honest I was really struggling initially to decide between the Remedy and the Fuel anyway so this just helped make up me mind. I tend to ride very rough steep and technical trails mixed in with more smooth flow trails so the Remedy will not be too much of a bike for me. The interesting thing will be if I still want to use my Slash. That is what I am looking forward to finding out.

I am getting the 21inch, I am 6'2 and with that size it matches up with my Slash well in terms of a very similar fit.

I am picking it up tonight, the workshop is sending me teaser pics as i speak so its going to be a long day waiting to finish work.

Can confirm 60mm stem and 750mm bars on the 21inch at least...
    2016 Remedy talk.-received_1161650830528046.jpeg
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2016 Trek Remedy 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tend to ride very rough steep and technical trails mixed in with more smooth flow trails so the Remedy will not be too much of a bike for me. The interesting thing will be if I still want to use my Slash. That is what I am looking forward to finding out.
    Only you can tell or decide your scenario but my last ride confirmed my Transition Covert is for sale. That's probably more like your Slash than the Remedy. The Remedy is every bit as good or better in the rough stuff but goes on to be SO much better climbing. It also feels like a great XC bike but keeps going when lesser bikes would be put on the brakes or ride the buyout.

Not sure you're getting a 29, but the 29 is not stopping me from doing playful things. At times you surely feel the axle height but my Honzo got me used to that.

mtbr member
    Sorry yes should of said its the 29er that I am getting
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2016 Trek Remedy 9

mtbr member
    Progress,

Getting extra special checks to ensure all bearings are sufficiently lubed and ready to ride. They look after me well at my local.

2016 Remedy talk.-received_1161687287191067.jpeg
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2016 Trek Remedy 9

mtbr member
    Getting finishing bits sorted
    2016 Remedy talk.-img_20150818_175504-large-.jpg

Ready to go for its first ride tonight.
    2016 Remedy talk.-img_20150819_073956-large-.jpg2016 Remedy talk.-img_20150819_074021-large-.jpg2016 Remedy talk.-img_20150819_074043-large-.jpg
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2016 Trek Remedy 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I really like that color combo.

mtbr member
    Dammit--now I want another bike. That purple is SWEET!!!

mtbr member
    Cheers, yea at first i was like i dunno but man it really does look the part in the flesh.
    2016 Remedy talk.-img_20150819_073956%7E2-large-.jpg

First impressions is the new Fox 34 forks are amazing they feel really nice out of the box and that new rear shock is special.

I've had to send my last couple of Fox forks straight to the shop to have some work done to them but i can't see myself touching these.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2016 Trek Remedy 9

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Cheers, yea at first i was like i dunno but man it really does look the part in the flesh.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150819_073956~2 (Large).jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	1009351

First impressions is the new Fox 34 forks are amazing they feel really nice out of the box and that new rear shock is special.

I've had to send my last couple of Fox forks straight to the shop to have some work done to them but i can't see myself touching these.
    You gonna up the travel in the front at all to match the 650b?
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What made you guys choose the Remedy over the Fuel EX.

Also spending 5k odd on a bike why not spend 1k more and get the 9.8?

Bike looks great in purple. Much better than on the trek websites.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Remedy vs. Fuel can come down to how aggressive the rider and/or terrain is.

The Remedy is more capable due to the longer travel and slacker angles. But it isn't hamstrung because of that either. The Re:aktiv makes it a very solid climber. It is a Trail/All-Mountain bike that can do almost anything.

The Fuel is almost as good in the rough, but lacks a bit on the big end of the spectrum compared to the Remedy. But it is lighter and may pedal just a bit better overall. It is more XC/Trail oriented.

I chose the Fuel EX because I already have a 2016 Stumpy FSR 650b for the big drops and play riding.

If your terrain and riding are right and you want only one bike, the Remedy is the perfect blend of big stuff and great pedaling. For less aggressive trails, the Fuel EX is a rocket that can still handle some bigger stuff when ridden right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post

Chader09 nailed it.
    But I'm only getting the 9.8 for two reasons. 1 really
    The color. It matches my fuel
    I want the fox 36 but not the 2x11
    but I'll know more when my buddy's fuel comes in with that 2x11 and I can test it out.

I like my 1x11's

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post

The Remedy is more capable due to the longer travel and slacker angles. But it isn't hamstrung because of that either. The Re:aktiv makes it a very solid climber. It is a Trail/All-Mountain bike that can do almost anything.

The Fuel is almost as good in the rough, but lacks a bit on the big end of the spectrum compared to the Remedy. But it is lighter and may pedal just a bit better overall. It is more XC/Trail oriented.

I chose the Fuel EX because I already have a 2016 Stumpy FSR 650b for the big drops and play riding.

If your terrain and riding are right and you want only one bike, the Remedy is the perfect blend of big stuff and great pedaling. For less aggressive trails, the Fuel EX is a rocket that can still handle some bigger stuff when ridden right.
    Remedy sounds the goer then. Might as well have a bike that wont ever limit me

Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Chader09 nailed it.
    But I'm only getting the 9.8 for two reasons. 1 really
    The color. It matches my fuel
    I want the fox 36 but not the 2x11
    but I'll know more when my buddy's fuel comes in with that 2x11 and I can test it out.

I like my 1x11's

I want the green so if my mum ever see's it hopefully she wont notice i got a new bike haha (current superfly 5 fluro green/yellow/lime)

But also I want 1x11.. just gotta see what my retailer can do for me.

mtbr member

^^^ Couldn't of said it better, it really comes down to what type of riding you do.

Had my first decent ride on the Remedy 9 last night putting in 30kms and 650m worth of climbing.
    The bike is just so capable it really loves the chunky sections and I constantly found myself coming out of those sections with more speed then i'm used to.
    I've already ordered the same bars I have on my Slash (deity 787mm) I find the ones that came with just aren't wide enough for me and i prefer a little more rise in the bars.
    Apart from that I just need to play with suspension and Tire pressure settings to find my sweet spot.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2016 Trek Remedy 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    You gonna up the travel in the front at all to match the 650b?
    I was thinking about it but I am going to spend some more time on it before I decide to change. I never felt like it needed more last night but I need to spend some more time hitting all my usual trails before I will know for sure.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2016 Trek Remedy 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2016 Remedy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post

I'm pretty sure I said it earlier. I did several test rides - both bikes, both wheel size and both frame materials.

On which: The Remedy 29 just has a got your back or great feel when you are at your limits yet is a fast peddler and super climber. More travel doesn't make you feel slow on the Remedy like some bikes. You feel in the bike instead of on it - a ride vs race feeling. My favorite rides are places that get steep and rocky. I'm not that good a rider but I try to ride stuff I see others walk or avoid. I've got an AM hard tail I love so more travel really complements that.

On plastic vs beer can: The math and logic were easy to figure out. For the math we're talking around 20% difference in price but no advantages from weight, performance or feel seemed worth that - not close. For the logic.... MTBs are consumable wear items if you use and treat them right. I know how you recycle a beer can. Testing and riding incl my heavy steel Honzo kept proving how important the bike engine is compared to weight.

Then comes color. I could have been a sucker for the 2015 grey plus red and a Pike if they didn't sell out early. Chartreuse? At my age you've seen it come and go several times. Enough times where fly tying materials are the only place you want to see it. The new Fat Chances in grello pass - some will know why.

Finally parts. I get that a double ring would be good for some. The time and effort I'd take to get ride of front der and ring would further diminish the value of a 2016 9.8.

What's really important is they're all great bikes. Do what I did and test a bunch of stuff. Get what works for you.
    Last edited by bitflogger; 08-19-2015 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for that awesome explanation! I just ordered a Remedy 9 29 last week. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the thorough discussion, folks. This is the frame that I've finally come to focus on... Now I'm looking to get a 2015 or 2016 frame.

Could someone do me a huge favor, and tell me if there are any differences between the *frame* of the 2015 and 2016 Remedy 9? Also, I see that both come with the ReActiv shock; any improvements on the 2016 version?

BTW: FLN, your TT/ST gusset looks huge compared to bitflogg's; is that simply because yours is a larger frame?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Maybe the biggest difference 2015/2016 is the Re:aktiv shock is now the standard FOX EVOL can (2016) rather than the custom Trek DRCV can (2015).

It makes the shock more standard even though it includes the Re:aktiv valve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Will the evol fit on a 2015?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Maybe the biggest difference 2015/2016 is the Re:aktiv shock is now the standard FOX EVOL can (2016) rather than the custom Trek DRCV can (2015).

It makes the shock more standard even though it includes the Re:aktiv valve.
    Also boost was added to the front fork, but that is not the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    Also boost added to the front fork?
    Yes, but I skipped that since he was asking about the "frame".

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast